PDA

View Full Version : trying to get tykerb

sally
08-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I went to my local drugstore and was told I would have Tykerb today at 5:00 p.m. When I went to pick it up they acted like I was crazy to get it there. Nobody told me that it had to come from the company after filling out forms and faxing them back. I can't believe my Dr.'s office didn't know. My onc was on vacation when I picked up the prescriptions and went over the dosing and side effects. I was told last Thursday that I would be on this drug and now 1 wwek has passed and looks like another one will before I actually get this drug. It's making me nervous that I know I have mets lurking in my liver and on top of that I get the runaround from nurses and the drug store. Does everyone get this drug throught the mail? Thanks for any responses. Sally

chrisy
08-22-2007, 04:29 PM
My understanding is, yes, you do have to get it from the list of mail order pharmacies. And clearly they need to do a better job of making sure people know this.

Try not to worry about the lag time. If it's only another week, you should be fine.

Just a heads up, some people have had "trouble" with their insurance companies so you want to be sure you are on top of EVERYONE to make this happen. Shouldn't be that way, but nobody cares as much as you!

Stephanie
08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
We went through the same thing with my mom's Tykerb. The onc's office called into the local pharmacy, and everyone there thought we were crazy! I couldn't believe the onc's office didn't know, either, but in their defense, my mom is their first patient on the stuff. You do have to get it mail order. There is a list of pharmacies on Tykerb's website, but your onc's office should really do the legwork on this.

My mom had a heck of a time with Medicare with the Tykerb, and they're treating it like a prescription pill, not chemo. She's in the doughnut hole on Medicare prescription coverage, so she had to cough up $3200 for the last batch. The darn stuff better work!!

sally
08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I already got the authorization for the Tykerb. My local drug store said that if I had to pay a $20 copay for the Xeloda then it would be the same for the Tykerb. At least I got the authorization, now lets see if I only have to come up with $20 each cycle. Thank you for the quick responses. I really appreciate it. Sally