PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Glucosamine Chondrotin

Debra
08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I am almost ashamed to post this minor question with some of the other issues some are dealing with right now but I will anyway as I learn more from this forum then both my oncologists.

I started taking Glucosamine Chondrotin this week for severe joint pain due to arimidex. I have to tell you, day three and my joint pain is much better. Maybe it is all in my head but my joints felt better today and I haven't had much relief for some time. So then I ask myself, if it works so well, why don't I hear much about others using it? Maybe it interferes with how the arimidex works. I don't know! My oncologists both "don't think" it should be a problem.
Anyone out there wise on this supplement?

tousled1
08-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Debra,

After I had my back surgery in 2004 my neurologist recommended that I take the Glucosamine Chondrotin since I have permanent nerve damage. I still take it and the days I forget my body tells me.

PinkGirl
08-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi
I take plain glucosamine because I have a shell fish allergy and can't take
the chondrotin. Both my pharmacist and my oncologist said it was okay to take it with the Arimidex. Hope it helps you.

Becky
08-22-2007, 03:05 AM
Its fine to take. I take it to prevent my normal aches and pains from running. That and omega 3 keep me lubed up.

Debra
08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Thank you ladies!

I just needed a little reassurance from "the wise ones" as I see all of you!! There is just so much info out there about what may or may not interfere with meds or "stir up" anything else that I hate to take anything extra. However, I need some relief from joint pain so I am willing to try anything short of going off arimidex.

Becky
08-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I use Iceland Health Joint Relief. It has omega 3 in it too and we all know we need that! You can get it online.

tricia keegan
08-23-2007, 11:52 AM
I also take glucosamine/chondroitin for relief from arimdex related joint pain and neuropathy, I find it good too although it only eases the discomfort rather than erasing it.
I found it took about six weeks before I noticed a difference though.

Becky
08-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree with Tricia. I took 2X the amount for the first 2 weeks then the recommended amt and started to get relief after a month or so.

caya
08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
I have been on Tamoxifen since July 10th - the first 2 -3 weeks were awful with the joint pain. My onc. explained how my poor body is being slammed into instant menopause, hence the severity of the aches. I got a script for Naproxen ( in Canada this is Aleve but a stronger dose). It did help, and now I take one pill a day, not two (and can miss a day).
I am interested in this supplement - anyone had any relief from Tamoxifen pains. It seems most of you taking it are on an AI - I will ask my onc. about it next week when I go for my Herceptin infusion.
Re: Omega 3 - how much do you take?

Thanks
caya

tousled1
08-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Caya,

I'm taking it and I am not on any AI as I am ER/PR-. I have neuroptathy and it really does help.

Shad
08-26-2007, 03:43 PM
I have seen a few double blinded-placebo controlled studies from Europe and US that show that the combination of glucosamine, chondroitin and manganese can improve radiological evidence of arthritis and lessen joint pain. With this in mind, I look for the combination of these ingredients when I buy glucosamine supplements. I am not sure how they are working for me at this time - I have waxing/waning pain in my feet, knees, wrists and fingers (presumably from Arimidex). But, none of the pain seems to interfere with my exercise plans. Low dose ibuprofen or tylenol seem to work well.
Shad