PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin Protocol--Steriods Required? RAD ?, too!

kcherub
08-21-2007, 04:08 AM
Hey!

I wanted to post this separately, as it might be lost in my longer post! When I finish chemo and go to Herceptin ever three weeks, so I still have to take the steriods? Please, please, please someone tell me NO!

Also, has anyone taken a break between chemo and radiation? I just want a little bit to feel better...

Hugs,
Krista

tousled1
08-21-2007, 04:20 AM
The good news is that when you are taking Herceptin only you do not take any premeds. I don't know if anyone has taken a break from chemo before starting rads. I know that I was on Herceptin only and getting my radiation treatments every day. The only side effect of radiation is that it may make you tired -- and that's only because you have to be there everyday, Monday thru Friday. Taking Herceptin and getting radiation at the same time is very doable and you shouldn't have any problems.

Becky
08-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Usually there is a three week break between chemo and rads (but that is chemo only not Herceptin alone as that continues).

You do not have to take any premeds for Herceptin alone. The steroid is for the taxane portion of the chemo drugs (the T and C parts are chemo, H - for herceptin is immunotherapy and not considered chemotherapy).

You will feel better after the chemo portions are done and you are almost there! Hang in there

PinkGirl
08-21-2007, 07:40 AM
I didn't have radiation but I had a year of herceptin. Herceptin is not a "chemo" drug. It is a "joy ride", "cake walk", "walk in the park" COMPARED to the chemo you received. You will need to have muga scans to check your heart because it can cause heart damage. Some people have side effects from it, but many have none. The side effects from Herceptin (for me) were minimal COMPARED to chemo. There are no pre-meds to take unless you are getting Herceptin with another drug that requires them. Good luck with it.

chrisy
08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
NO.

You don't need premeds for Herceptin alone. For me, I got the loading dose the week after I stopped chemo I think, then went on the every 3 week protocol. They will infuse the loading dose more slowly, just to be sure you have no reactions. I didn't have any problems and you will probably be fine.

After chemo, herceptin alone felt like AIR!

fauxgypsy
08-21-2007, 12:37 PM
I was so glad when I didn't have to have the steroids. They still give me the benedryl and some tylenol before the herceptin but that is all. The side effects from carboplatin and taxol are fading away. It does get better. I had been getting the herceptin every week, Monday I got the loading dose, and now I will get herceptin every three weeks. I also started Femora today. I don't know what it will be like yet.
Good luck!

Leslie