PDA

View Full Version : What to wear after mastectomy?

fauxgypsy
08-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I had a mastectomy on my right breast August 9. I still have drains in and I am still very sore and stiff. I have to go to the oncologist for herceptin tomorrow and I don't think I can wear a bra yet. I might be able to wear my really soft leisure bra but I am not sure. My left breast is large enough that I feel funny not having some support (this coming from an old hippie). It is running about a hundred degrees here right now so I can't do much layering. Any suggestions? I got tired of pinning the drains to my clothes so I made a belt with a pocket today for them. It works great so far.

Leslie

Mary Anne in TX
08-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Hey Leslie!
Glad the surgery is over and you're on the mend. I think that I worried more about what to wear to have the staples out more than I worried over the surgery itself! I got a couple of those cotton camis and did just great with those puffy cotton prosthesis! I used a shoulder pad the first time I went outside! It was goofy, but it worked and no one noticed! You'll find the cotton camis on the web sites for mastectomy prosthesis.
Keep us up on how you are doing!
ma

PinkGirl
08-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi Leslie
After my mastectomy, which was also in the summer, I wore short sleeved t-shirts with a light weight vest over top. I didn't zip-up the vest, so with the vest being loose, it wasn't as noticeable that I was a "one boob wonder". My husband reminded me many times that people were not staring at my chest all the time. As for bras, I bought a sports bra that fastened at the front, and I bought it in a larger size so it didn't hurt on the surgery side. Good luck with this, and remember that most people won't be looking at you that closely!!

StillHere
08-19-2007, 03:47 PM
My insurace paid for one chamis, and I also received one at the hospital. I bought a 3rd on my own and used them at home all the time instead of prosth (hated prosth and wig). Always went comando at home. Only wore the wig about 5 times. Maybe if I purchased the real hair type it would have been better, but I doubt it. Between the hot summer and hot flashes, I nearly went mad with it on. Love the free flaps & tummy tuck. Does not look that great naked, but w/ a swimsuit, tank top, or night gown they look very natural. Did have to add the saline implants under the muscle to give any definition. I was pretty pancake flat w/o the implants.

BonnieR
08-19-2007, 04:54 PM
I had bilateral mastectomy and bought some SOFTEE padded camisoles. One each in black and white. They even make them to accomodate drains right after surgery.
I find that they work well under an open shirt going out. Layering. But it is HOT here in the desert. I don'l look forward to the wigs which I will need to begin wearing in a day or two......

chrisy
08-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, the drains are a pain. I pinned them to an elastic belt, so they weren't actually connected to my clothes.

I also was quite "lopsided". I wore some very comfortable stretchy bras and stuffed the other side with old shoulder pads (why I never threw those away, I'll never know!)

For me, the best part was getting reduction on the other side I LOVED having nice perky breasts!

Mary Jo
08-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I, too, wore the post surgical cami. There was a pouch for the drain and a soft, puffy prosthesis came with it also. Well, actually 2 come with it but I only needed one at the time. I wore that for quite some time actually as it was more comfortable to me. After I had my left breast prophylatically removed, it was much easier as I was even - flat - YET even. Haha!

For the first year I worely wore a bra because it hurt me but this past year I do wear one again and feel very comfortable.

Hugs to you,

Mary Jo

sassy
08-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I wore the mast cami some, although it made me really hot layered under other clothes. I used fiberfill to make a boob inside a sports bra and wore that some, then actually took the fiberfill out (it was formed into the correct shape at that point) and made it into a prosthesis(sewed cotton fabric to front and back) that I safety pinned into t-shirts and other lose fitting shirts. I still use that when I do work outside at home when I'd just rather not wear a bra at all. I solved the problem of my drain (I had one for a really long time) by wearing pants with pockets and just put my drain in my pocket!

Hope some of this helps!
________
Wong Amat Tower Condos (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

hutchibk
08-19-2007, 11:21 PM
With the drains, I wore a belt made from Ribbon for sleeping in that I tied them to... and during the day I wore a real belt with pockets that could hold them, or I wore 2 fanny packs which also held them very well. I also wore a soft "shelf" cami to give gentle support. It all worked very well for me. Drains were out at day 10 I think.

I just took a lunesta - does any of what I wrote make sense?

Sheila
08-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Leslie
I guess I was lucky that it was winter when I had mine....sweatshirts worked great. For going out, I too liked the camis or sports bras...and for the drains, my Mom, who is also a BC Survivor, fashioned a little pouch that went over my shoulder and hung down ( like a messanger bag) and my drains fit into it...it was great, I wore one 24 hours a day...she had devised it when she had her mastectomy 20 years ago...I always told her this handy device needed to be marketed! The major thing is buy abigger size of top.bra so it isn't tight.

tousled1
08-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Leslie,

When I had my surgery I was sent home in a vest that closed with velcro and had two detachable pockets on the inside for my drains. It was pretty clever and I wore it 24/7 until I got my drains out. I think my drains came out around the 10th to 14th day -- can't exactly remember. It was June when I had my surgery so it was HOT -- I also had a bilateral mastectomy so I didn't have to worry about being lopsided. As a matter of fact, I very rarely wear my prothesis as I'm quite comfortable with my flat chest - a big change from a D cup! I find that I just can't stand wearing a bra anymore and when I do I wear a sports bra (they have double thickness so I just cut a slit in each side to slide my protheses in -- much more comfortable than a regular bra. Good luck to you and I hope the drains come out soon!

fauxgypsy
08-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, I figured out a solution. Didn't have time to order one and I am over an hour away from any city where I might could buy one so I made a camisole from soft some soft cotton jersey that I had already. It worked fairly well. I just made a fiberfilled form to go in it and it works for now. I don't know what I was thinking before the surgery . I think I was in denial or something. It is not like I didn't know this was coming. As for the drains, I am going to take a couple of print outs from the web about ways to deal with the drains to the surgeon tomorrow. It wouldn't hurt them to give patients this sort of information beforehand. I am really disappointed in the available information locally. I am going to talk with the local cancer society representatives. This information would have been more helpful to me that the Look Good , Feel Better program was, even though it too was helpful.

Leslie

BonnieR
08-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Te SOFTEE cami can be ordered online as I recall. Cause I bought a white one and then ordered the black..
I was disappointed that the Look Good....program is suspended here for the summer. They seem to not think people get cancer year round....I am losing my hair NOW, not in late September. Good thing I already have wigs and scarves I got myself....sorry for the rant. Need to check out the JOY thread!!! lol

Shad
08-26-2007, 04:02 PM
After the drains came out following my unilateral mastectomy, I bought a loose fitting sports bra (zipped up in the front) that had a second sheet of fabric as a liner. I cut a hole in the liner near the armpit side, and initially slid in shoulder pads, and later a "proper" prosthesis. It looked great, even under fairly tight fitting clothes. (at least I thought it looked great, my friends may have just been happy to have me up and about).
Shad