PDA

View Full Version : Right foot very swollen--Herceptin?

Grace
08-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi All,

Some advice. I just finished my last herceptin ten days ago. From the beginning, my feet/ankles would swell afterwards. After the last infusion, my right foot is swollen (very) most of the time, even when I wake in the morning, although it's somewhat better in morning than at night. The left is also swollen, but as before. Has this happened to anyone on the board. My last echo, about a month ago was good--LVEF was still 60%.
Thanks.

Chelee
08-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Grace, I did experience swelling in my feet, ankles & lower legs. It was really bad but all my EHCO's were great. So I was put on lasix for a while and that was a temporary fix but it got me through it. The swelling finally went away about 2 or 3 months after I was done with herceptin. It may improve in another month or so. But do mention it to your onc. Give you body time to recover.

Chelee

Jean
08-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi Grace,
So happy for you that you completed herceptin. I did not experience swollen feet but I do think it wise to continue to drink fluids and flush
your system. Keep a pillow under your legs to raise your legs during
sleep. Are you getting enough rest? Sometimes your body will retain
water when tired.

Congratulations once again!

Kind Regards,
Jean

tousled1
08-17-2007, 05:14 AM
Grace,

I had swelling of the feet/ankles while on Herceptin and now again that I'm back on it. I try and keep my feet elevated as much as I can. Glad that you finished your year of Herceptin! Good luck with your move.

Erin
08-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi Grace,

I am having the same problem with both ankles - moderate swelling in both. No other symptoms of CHF - no shortness of breath, etc so they did not do another echo.

When the swelling began, right after my 6th Herceptin and right after TCH was over, the swelling was worse in the left but now it has evened out. I did lasix for a while and that helped, but now my onc has me on lisinopril which is a blood pressure med that I needed anyway since my bp had been rising. I think he did not want the lasix to mask any heart problem. The lisinopril did help the bp but isn't really doing anything about the swelling. Just in case the onc had skip one herceptin but I am due to go back for another infusion next week. I go back the the onc in three weeks to re-asses, and I am going to insist on a echo then. Please keep us informed about your progress and what your onc says.

Grace
08-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I've been on BP for years now, with HCT included for water retention. The swelling is mainly left foot and today I went out briefly, walked two city blocks and was completely out of breadth, could barely walk. Because my LVEF was good six weeks ago, doctors just shrug their shoulders, but I can barely walk, even in house, so completely out of breath. It never stops raining, does it?

StephN
08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Oh, Grace -
That shortness of breath is not what you need right now. It happened to me, but during and after my chemos. You seem to be over a year off chemos by now.
Have you had a stress test for your heart? Also breathing tests? Is it ragweed season? I had my pulmonary functions tested out last year after having to take decadron and I was on the low end of normal range. But even this much can knock a person back quite a bit.
What they decided was that I had some loss of lung function due to having had radiation.

I sure hope someone can help you get it figured out and resolved. All your shoes are probably tight as well and that is another horrer.

Sheila
08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Grace
The Shortness of breath and Left foot swelling can indicate cardiac or pulmonary embolism, especially since it has come on suddenly..go to the Emergency Room and have them do a doppler of the leg, and an echocardiogram or angiogram to make sure everything is OK....is the foot just swollen or is it cold and discolored? I don't want to scare you, but if it is something, the sooner treated the better. Hoping this is all behind you soon..... as if we don't have enough to deal with, all these other little things happen to scare us!

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Grace honey,

I also don't want to alarm you, but when the swelling is in 1 foot, not both, and when there is shortness of breath, like Sheila said -- you need to get yourself to the emergency room or a good cardiologist. It is great that your recent ECHO was good, but these symptoms need to be addressed right away. I'm sorry to *echo* this news, pardon the pun, but something is going on. Rule out embolism. I bet if you were a man they'd do a stress test. If necessary you can do the RESTING kind, where they chemically speed your heart rate up and monitor you. I pray neither of these options are applicable for you, Grace, but I urge you to please follow up right away.

My heart and prayers are with you, sweetie. Sending love...
Andi