PDA

View Full Version : Glutamine question

BonnieR
08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Forgive me because I think I asked about this before, but.....
I have been taking 10 GRAMS of Glutamine 3 times daily. I am just checking if that is a "normal" dose. It seems alot..But, additionally, I wonder if taking more would have any benefit. I am having symptoms of neuropathy. And I am one of those people who thinks "if some is good, more is better and too much is just enough!" But I don't want to overdo it...

Becky
08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
I thought the dose was 10grams three times per day for 2 days before treatment and the day of treatment (with a taxane) to prevent neuropathy of the extremities.

BonnieR
08-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Oh, thanks. That is very different than what I was told. TID. Period. I am having a bout of neuropathy right now, I can tell you.....

Grace
08-16-2007, 07:41 PM
It is a lot but that's the protocol. You can still get nerve damage but it's usually not as serious. I was faithful taking it, and I still lost feeling in toes and it hasn't returned ten months later. But I was fortunate not to have it in hands or feet. I believe I sent you the website on the research previously, with amounts, but I can send it again if you wish.

hutchibk
08-16-2007, 07:58 PM
My instructions from nutritionist is powdered glutamine... 1 scoop (scoop included in jug = 2 gm) 3 times a day mixed in a shot of juice. So that is a total of 6 grams total per day that I take.

Others may have been given different instructions, but that is what I have done for a year... I did get some finger and toe/foot neuropathy, but I am sure it was mitigated by the glutamine and it has definitely subsided (especially in fingers) since I stopped Taxol. I don't know if larger doses give better results, but it might.

BonnieR
08-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Grace, I am sure you did send it to me. I am truly foggy. I did find a reference that also talks about taking it for just a few days. I will clarify with my onc tomorrow.
I am taking 30 grams a day!!!! Big difference!
Once again, this board is the best......
How is your move? We are finally back in our house but workmen are still swarming around all day......

BonnieR
08-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Just an update. Onc office confirmed to take 10 Gm 3 x daily for as long as I am receiving Taxol...

SoCalGal
08-17-2007, 06:42 PM
I am taking 2 small scoops of something called Intestimine by douglas labs. Each scoop has 5,000 mg's of glutamine as L-glutamine plus some other crap I cannot pronounce.

Actually one ingredient is super-cali-fragilstic-expi-ala-docious.

Okay, seriously it's fructooligosaccharides 250 mg (nutra flora FOS - why didn't they just say so). So far, no parts of me are numb. However many parts are DUMB.

I am too drugged to be online. Day#2 Carbo/Gem drip with LOTS of Ativan. I Miss you ladies...Flori

BonnieR
08-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Flori, even if you felt too drugged to be online I'm glad you dropped by yesterday and brought your sense of humor with you! Hoping today is better for you.