PDA

View Full Version : A muga test so soon?

Faith in Him
08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
My doctor is ordering another muga in September. It seems that he orders one every two months. Is that normal?

I wish it was not so often as I do not want to stop herceptin. I've always believed that herceptin is a godsend, its a miracle drug, and I want to complete it. The first one dropped from 67 to 58 but since I have been off A/C for 4 months could it possibly go up again?

I have the paperwork to schedule the muga. Maybe I'll intentionally forget and blame it on chemo brain. lol!

Gerri
08-15-2007, 03:44 PM
I had an echo (instead of a muga) every three months while on Herceptin (my last treatment was in March) and will continue until I am one year out. My onc said that the new guidelines recommend continuing testing for that long after treatment is over.

These tests are for your protection to monitor your heart function while on Herceptin. Don't skip the test - your onc may deny you your Herceptin until you comply.

Hazel Joyce
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
I started with a MUGA every 12 weeks, but because my LVEF dropped from 61% to 51% after 9 weeks of Taxol and Herceptin, I am now having a MUGA scan every 4 weeks. My LVEF rose to 60%; now it's 56%. I'm hoping that we both get to stay on Herceptin.

tousled1
08-15-2007, 06:27 PM
I get echocardiograms every 3 months. Please do not cancel your appointment as getting a MUGA or echo is very important while you're on Herceptin. If you do not have the test done your oncologist can hold off on giving you your Herceptin treatment. I know that my onc's office will not give me my Herceptin until they check the result of my echo.

Susan McQ
08-15-2007, 06:46 PM
After a drop in my EF earlier this earlier this year, I was also having MUGA's monthly. I did drop enough that I was given 1 month off of Herceptin. After that monthly my EF increased back to 54% so I was able to complete my year of herceptin. My post herceptin muga increase again.

Susan

Faith in Him
08-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Kate & Gerri: Thank you for talking sense into me. I just didn't want herceptin to stop but the heart is important too and as you say, the onc may hault it without the test.

Hazel: I'm praying that we both can complete herceptin on time.

Susan: Congratulations on having your port removed. How wonderful. I can't wait for the day mine is out. However, being stage 3 I believe they will keep it in for a few years.

You are all so kind and concerned. You are a blessing. Thank you.

Alice
08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
I had echo's every 3 months while on herceptin. I had to stop herceptin when my LEF dropped by 20%. If you don't have the echo or mugua you could do more dammage and what is the point of surviving cancer if you are dammaged beyond repair. If you have dammage, it should resolve after the herceptin is stopped and sometimes just taking a break is all that is necessary.
Alice