PDA

View Full Version : anniversary dates???

PinkGirl
08-13-2007, 03:14 PM
What date do you start counting from - the date of diagnosis
or the date you finish your treatments? I don't know why, but
I have a hard time thinking of myself as a "survivor". I'm not able to say that I "had" cancer; I still say I "have" it. I could really relate to all
the posts about having trouble making plans for the future. I think it
might be because I was told my cancer is very aggressive and when the
tests came back node negative and I was happy about it, my surgeon
reminded me that it was "still very aggressive". I got the feeling she didn't want me to get my hopes up. Anyway, I really enjoy this site. It is very helpful.

Mary Jo
08-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Pinkgirl,

Everyone is different on this one (I think). I choose to go by the date of diagnosis, just because I want too. The time is quicker that wayhttp://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif I was diagnosed in June of 05 but didn't have surgery until the end of July 05. So, whatever..........it really doesn't matter. You're here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a survivor.http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Mary Jo

Becky
08-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Your survival date is the date of your surgery regardless of when you had surgery. For example, some have to have surgery after chemo.

It is definitely your surgery date.

cafe1084
08-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Pink girl,

My 1 year out from date of diagnosis is tomorrow, August 14th and it brings back alot of feelings I'd rather not relive. I like to look at my surgery date as the date when I first took action against the cancer, so at least for me personally, date of surgery is when I'll count from. I have read that most professionals see your date of surgery as your "anniversary" date and I guess this is because that is when the cancer is "activated" and has the best chance at metastasis. I may be wrong, but if I am, somebody please correct me. I'd like to know.

We just have to look to the future. If we don't have a future with those people and things we cherish, what would be the point of fighting this disease so hard? Live like today is your last!! ;)

Steph C.

Mary Jo
08-13-2007, 05:40 PM
OH well, Pinkgirl..........I guess I was wrong. Look's like you go from the date of surgery. So, instead of it being 2 years for me June 24 it was July 28th. Whatever............I'm alive............I'm a survivor.

Glad it was cleared up for you.

Mary Jo

dhealey
08-13-2007, 05:47 PM
I was always told you became a survivor the day you had surgery. Like you Pinkgirl I don't feel like a survivor as I am still taking herceptin treatments and feel like the cancer is always lurking somewhere. So I think of myself more as a thriver.
Debbie in North Carolina