PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil and Cod Liver Oil

Mary Jo
08-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Just curious? I take Nordic Natural's Cod Liver Oil daily. One teaspoon has the daily requirements for EPA and DHA. The levels are: DHA (625 mg) and EPA (410 mg) other omega 3's (225 mg.) Instead of taking the one teaspoon though, I take 1 tablespoon which is 3 times this amount. I am curious if I am taking too much of that?

Also, I was thinking of taking 1 teaspoon of olive oil each morning but wondered if that was what I should be doing with it and if 1 teaspoon is an appropriate amount.

Thank you for your help.

Mary Jo

Becky
08-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Taking 3 of the Omega 3 Cod liver is not too much. I take about the same amount (unless I am going to eat a big piece of wild salmon or halibut - then I take less that day). I take my supplements throughout the day so if eating fish, I don't take the nightime omega 3.

I use olive oil and have salad with homemade dressing using the olive oil. If I don't, I take a tablespoon (right off the spoon - only those who know me are ok with this now - but this is rare because of cooking with it but believe me, I do it - ask my sister who used to freak).

Mary Jo
08-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Becky,

Could you share a good salad dressing using olive oil. I tried taking the olive oil on a spoon and WOW, WAS THAT NASTY! http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif So, please share a good recipe if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Mary Jo

penelope
08-12-2007, 09:53 AM
olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and a little bit of goat feta cheese. Put it over romaine, small yellow tomatoes and kalmata olives. Really yummy!!!

Becky
08-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I use one part vinegar (I have used balsamic, white balsamic, red wine, cider, or white wine) and 2-3 parts extra virgin olive oil. I add parsley (2 teaspoons dry), oregano (1 tsp) and basil (1 tsp). I also add 1 1/2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard. Shake it up and there you go. The amt of herbs is based on the one part being 1/4c so if it is just you and the hubby, you will not need as much dressing (but it will keep a day or two). Different vinegars give the dressing a different taste and it is my basic dressing.

Another dressing is 1/4c lemon juice, 3/4 c extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese. This is much lighter as vinegar has more acidic bite than lemon juice.

hutchibk
08-12-2007, 12:30 PM
If I know I haven't been eating enough olive oil, I take 2 tablespoons each day. Heck I do it even when I have been eating a EVOO rich diet. I love the stuff and could drink it if I would let myself...

Mary Jo
08-12-2007, 06:03 PM
You don't refrigerate this dressing, do you?

MJ

harrie
08-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I have been making my own salad dressing:
EVOO, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper
Purchases this cute blue glass bottle with a tiny cork screw at the top. I put all the ingredients in and shake.
I just guess on the proportions.

Becky
08-13-2007, 03:29 AM
I don't refrigerate because I only make enough for that one time. I am sure it can be and would keep in the frig for a couple of days.

PinkGirl
08-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Is olive oil good for everyone, or is there something specific about
breast cancer or her2+ ? Is there a recommended daily amount?
Sorry if you already talked about this and I missed it.

R.B.
08-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Pink Girl

There are a number of posts on this site some olive oil, and the omega threes and sixes.

You might like to start with the Greek Diet thread or you can search by clicking on search above and entering terms such as omega six omega three fish oil etc. (It took me a while to realise it was there).

If you cannot find what you are looking for came back and I will look up some links for you.

harrie
08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
On the Food Network channel saw this combo: EVOO, red wine vinegar, djon mustard, salt, pepper. Whisk the mustard in with the vinegar, add the salt and pepper and at the end add the EVOO. Going to try it! Looked good on tv!