08-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I recently asked my onc. if I could switch to a different aromatase
inhibitor to see if I would have less or no joint pain. I was told that
because I have this side-effect from Arimidex, I would probably have
it on all A.I.'s. Has anyone switched to another one and had less
joint pain?

Becky
08-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Many women on this board have switched to Femara or Aromosin and not experienced joint pain when they had pain with Arimidex.

Patb
08-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I also have terrible joint pain from Arimidex and have thought about
asking to try another. I don't complain too much because I certainly
don't want to not take anything. I keep thinking my body will get used
to the arimidex and it won't be as bad.
patb

CLTann
08-12-2007, 11:57 AM
There is no harm to try Femara. Just tell your doctor that you want at least try for a few weeks. The change made a big difference for me.

Jean
08-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes, I was in joint pain...made the switch over to Femara and I am
feeling 80% better. Small amount (very small) of some joint sitffness
first thing in the morning, but as soon as I am up and about I am pain
free...exercise is important...good luck!

Jean

Hopeful
08-13-2007, 09:41 AM
I was on Femara and had no joint pain but switched to Arimidex due to ringing in the ears. I now have some joint pain I didn't before, particularly in the thumbs, which I read is common. There is a difference.

Hopeful

Lori
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I had to complain to my onc. about my joint pain from the Arimedex. It seemed to progressively get worse to the point where I could hardly go up and down the stairs. He took me off the Arimedex for two months to see if the pain went away...it did. So now I am on Femera. I am having a lot of joing stiffness, but it is better than the joint pain. The stiffness also seems to progressively get worse. I am wondering if it hurts to take a few weeks off the AI once in a while to let your body recoup. ...???

I would definately have your onc switch you.

MJo
08-14-2007, 09:33 AM
I have joint pain, but it is bearable. My good cholesterol is falling and my bad cholesterol is rising. I don't eat much fat. Has anyone had cholesterol problems on arimidex? I'm now on an extremely low-fat diet and I will discuss this with my onc at my appointment in late August.

evev
06-22-2008, 05:49 AM
My onocologist said that Arimidex interefers with your cholestral

dlaxague
06-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Hi,

There was a poster at SABCS (last year, 2007) that showed that in their study, a good number (if memory serves, something like 40%) of women got relief from AI side effects (again, if memory serves I think it was specific to musculoskeletal pain) by switching. And it did not make a difference what they switched from nor to. Femara to Arimidex brought as much relief as Arimidex to Femara. I can't remember if Aromasin was in the study also.

I've just looked for the poster and cannot find it in a quick look (but was almost sucked in by other interesting posters - I'd forgotten how many!). Maybe it was 2006. But I don't have time right now to look more.

Debbie Laxague

Patb
06-22-2008, 09:24 AM
MJo
I have had to go on cholesterol medicine since BC.
I am taking arimidex and have joint pain also.
My Dr. stopped the cholesterol meds and it went
back up so I am taking Vytorin now.
patb

dhealey
06-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I tried arimidex, aromasin and tamoxifen, had severe joint pain from all 3. Now am on femera, just have mild stiffness in the morning. I have also read that all the AI's can increase the cholesterol levels and most recently read an article that if you were her2 positive, the AI's were ineffective. Anyone else read this? I have an appt. in August with my onc and will ask here about it. If it is not effective when her2 positive what's the point of taking it?

Rendi69CA
06-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Pretty much I had joint pain on all. Pain from neck to the bottom of my feet. Exericise help. Keep your joints busy.

harrie
06-22-2008, 07:47 PM
PinkGirl,
I switched from Arimadex to Femara a few months ago. I still get joint stiffness when I am not moving. It goes away as soon as I get moving again. I am crossing my fingers it does not get worse because I have not been on it that long.
I believe Femara is in the same family as Arimadex so if I need to switch again, it will be to Aromasin.

Jean
06-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Not True - I had pretty severe pain with Arimidex
switched to Femara and while it is not 100% it sure
is about 90%....which i will gladly take.

Good Luck,
Jean

Hopeful
06-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Debbie,

Here is the abstract you were referring to: http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs/view.php?nu=SABCS07L_631

Hopeful

Unregistered
06-28-2008, 08:55 PM
My thumbs are killing me on Arimidex. If i get relief, after my Aug visit, I'll let you know. Bev

sassy
06-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I had really stiff joints, especially right hand and thumb on Arimidex until my GP put me on Lasix. Not really sure why this worked, but I feel like a new person and have very little stiffness now. One of the other ladies had the same response, but had also changed another medication at the time so she was not sure the improvement was all from lasix.

I'd really be interesed to hear if anyone else tries this. I recommend giving it a try.

Donna
06-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi Pink Girl,

I was on Arimidex first and I had terrible joint pain in my hands and my fingers were locking more and more - it got pretty bad. I switched to Femara and it is soooo much better. I have to say my knees are worse, but not as bad as my hands had been on Arimidex, so it is a bit of a trade off, but a good one for me.

Arimidex also led to an unnessary surgery due to the side effect of thickening the uterine wall - had to have the surgery to make sure it wasn't something else - but it was concluded it was due to the Arimidex.

Switch, try them all, hopefully one will work better for you than another. Good Luck!

Donna

harrie
06-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Bev, ARimidex and Femara both seem to impact my thumbs more then any other joint.

michka
06-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Switched from Arimidex to Aromasin. I had too much pain in my hands and my knees. Aromasin is not much better. Onc then told me to take it every other day. I do not feel comfortable with this. He thinks Tykerb increases the side effects and the fatigue. He wants me to finish Tykerb in October and then go back up to one Aromasin every day. I hope it is still working.
Michka

harrie
07-01-2008, 12:17 AM
My switch from Arimidex to Femara is not significant in terms of joint discomfort. But at this point it is manageable and just hoping it does not get worse.
At least I don't have a locked thumb like before.

SoCalGal
07-01-2008, 12:52 AM
I was on arimidex and switched to femara which did not bother me nearly as much.
Good luck!
fLORI

R.B.
07-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Loss of oestrogen will result in women being able to produce less long chain Omega 3 DHA [The Omega 3 found in fish oil] from the mother fat in the diet [vegetable sources like flax seed oil].

Arimidex [anastrozole] further decreases DHA production by the body.

The DHA and EPA in fish oil are anti inflammatory. Omega six is a raw material of inflammatory chemicals in the body.

Fish oil has been reported to reduce pain and assist in arthritis. Please see Greek Diet thread.

Please discuss dietary change with your doctor.

RB

R.B.
07-02-2008, 03:23 AM
From comments here http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23998&highlight=arimidex+fish+oil fish oil in adequate amount may indeed help.

As always I would suggest giving thought to looking at Omega 6 intake and balancing the omega 3 and 6 mother fats etc. See Greek diet thread.

If the symptoms respond to COX blockers Nasids then adding fish oil and balancing the Omega 3s and 6s should help.

You are probably going to have to consider the higher end of dietary recommendation eg 3 grams DHA and EPA combined total 3tps of high strength quality fish oil to see noticble effects and it may take a while.

Please discuss dietary change with your doctor.

RB

Andrea Barnett Budin
07-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes, RB! This is what I have learned from you, and tell everyone who is suffering from joint pain. I am 63 yrs old, and I have NO joint pain. I believe my Omega 3 supplements contribute mightily to this happy factor, among MANY other beneficial attributes of Omega 3.

You should write a book! Oh, right -- you did!! And, we should all read it's messages. As you so brilliantly point out in your OMEGA SIX THE DEVIL'S FAT -- A MESSAGE OF DIETARY HOPE: "We ARE truly the fats we digest"... "The message (of this awareness) lives in the shadows, waiting to be heard."

"This discovery of the researchers, may prove to be a fundamental dietary truth of enormous consequence. Become passionate about your physical essence, fats."

I PERSONALLY THANK YOU FOR HELPING THE "ILLUMINATE THE ELEPHANT IN THE GLOBAL ROOM".
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gstres/anmls/animals-butterfly

harrie
07-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Andi, I see you were on Tamoxifen for 2 yrs. Are you currently taking an aromatase inhibitor?
Maryanne

Andrea Barnett Budin
07-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Hello Maryanne!

You have been on my mind. I think I owe you an email. No, I know I owe you one. You are such a sweetheart. And I love your spiritual quest. You go, girl!

When I was orig dx, in '95, I was considered *borderline* ER/PR. So they put me on Tamoxifen, hoping I would gain some benefit.

When I recurred in '98, I was ER-/PR-. I was told to toss the Tamoxifen in the toilet. No good FOR ME.

I also found out about the newly discovered HER2 neu gene, and tested 80% positive for that!

Paul and I had been keeping up to date re bc, so we requested that test. Herceptin was still in clinical trials. I tried to get into one, to no avail. Too much Adria in '95. HOWEVER, The FDA fast-tracked this life-saving drug that tens of thousands were being denied access to.

So I became metastatic (throughout my liver) in Aug of '98. And Herceptin became available to met bc patients Sept. 28, 1998! I was so lucky. In the right place at the right time.

Had I received Herceptin as newbies now can do, perhaps I never would have recurred. Or had to deal w/Taxotere.

Still and all, I am grateful for that horrid drug. It helped save my life! And put me into remission.

Now I remain on Herceptin (in my 10th year!!) -- keeping further mets at bay.

I feel so blessed.

Love your attitude, Harrie Canarie... HUGS TO YOU!

Happy 4th. We are free to be!!

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gstres/anmls/animals-butterfly

harrie
07-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Andi!
Thanks for your response.
The reason I was asking about the AI for you is because I assumed unless you were on an AI, why would you have joint pain? Although I do realize that there are some out there that are experiencing joint pain from the herceptin.
I never had joint pain from herceptin or tamoxifen. I do have it from the Femara. I can function (for now) but don't like it. I plan to give the Omega 3 a try soon. The chondroitin/glucosamine combo from the TriFlex from GNC doesn not help much.

You are my role model, you know that don't you...
from both the physical as well as spiritual aspects.

...we are what we are....and that is what makes life so beautiful....
(do you think I am catching on???? hee,hee,hee,heee!!)
muchas alohas,
harrieeeecanareeee