PDA

View Full Version : Modern living blamed for cancer epidemic

hutchibk
08-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Hmmmm..... not unreasonable I suppose.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23407652-details/Modern+living+to+blame+for+cancer+epidemic/article.do

AlaskaAngel
08-09-2007, 12:02 PM
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/08.24/99-obesity.html

lu ann
08-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I grew up living in the typical suburb, like I thought everone else did. When I was 13 years old my mother was dx. with BC. Nine years later she had colon cancer and 4 years after she died.

Our neighbor next door had non-hodgekins lymphoma and the neighbor that bought his house had lung cancer. They both died. My dad later died from lung and the lady across the street died from ovarian. I have been fighting Breast Cancer for 16 years.

I lived in our family home for 22 years, which is located 1.38 miles from the landfill site. Too close for comfort. When my husband and I got married we lived right on the edge of the land fill for 18 months. There was about 15 houses left after they built the interstate 480 bridge that spanned Valley View, from Garfield Heights to Independence. Many of these families have and still suffer rare cancers and diseases, or they died. My 42 year old friend and mother of 4 boys under 10 has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

The area is a prime spot for developement, as it is about 20 minutes from downtown cleveland and other areas of interest. A developer offered and bought the existing homes for 3-4 times what the property was worth. They built a huge retail developent in Garfield Heights on top of the hill. They also built resteraunts and a movie theatre down in the Valley. Last winter they had to close several businesses because of methane leaks.

If anyone wants to read the article, it is long but very informative. Just follow the instructions.

1. the link is www.clevescene.com (http://www.clevescene.com)

2. you will come to their web page, Cleveland Scene News Page

3. In the far upper right hand corner click archive circle

4. Put the date January 10, 2007 in the archive box and click search

5. Go to archive Search box to the left and Key in the issue January 10, 2007(in drop down menu)

6. Then go to author and key in Klaus, Jared(in drop down menu)

7. Then Key in words (Tomb with a View)click search

8. Archive Search Results to the left should be Feature 1

5. Keywords Tomb with a View, Feature 1

Let me know if you could not view the web-site.
Lu Ann

AlaskaAngel
08-10-2007, 09:54 AM
You'd think that living in rural Alaska would be safer.... but... the pulp mill we had here for decades caused higher levels of dioxin in the water... and very nasty smoke as well... and many people here have individual water supplies from local rain. The mill was shut down a decade ago for other reasons, but this has been a problem even here.

A.A.

Hopeful
08-10-2007, 12:59 PM
lu ann,

A few years ago I read an article about the old Love Canal site being redeveloped. The developers claim that the site had been adequately remediated. Scary.

Hopeful