PDA

View Full Version : Weekend from H, E, Double Hockey Sticks!!!

VaMoonRise
08-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping that someone can help me with some info on extremely high liver function numbers and I also need to vent as I am really terrified right now.

I ended up in the hospital on Friday and just got home yesterday afternoon. I went in for my infusion of Herceptin on Friday morning and was telling the nurse about how much pain I had been having in the liver and we decided to run some blood work to check my liver function. Well, on the drive home (good thing hubby was driving) she called my cell phone and told me not to go home, to go straight to the hospital, that the blood work came back with all of my liver functions elevated sky high and that they thought that I had a blockage in my liver and would need to have a stint put in. As you can imagine I was hysterical, all I could think was Oh my gosh I am going into liver failure, why can't I catch a break, how can this now happen too after we just went through the whole brain met's ordeal. She said they had already contacted the hospital and that they knew I was on my way and that they would do a sonogram of the liver as soon as I got there. Well, they did the sonogram and of course you have to wait for forever to find out anything. To make a long story short, there was no blockage but my liver function test came back as follows:

Bili Total = 4.3
(normal range 0-1.0)

SGPT (ALT) = 1157
(normal range 30-65)

SGOT (AST) = 720
(normal range 15-37)

Phosp. Alkali = 229
(normal range 50-136)

Of course it being Friday and after five o'clock my oncologist was off for the weekend and I had to deal with the oncologist on call who didn't show up until Saturday around 3:00 PM. The oncologist on call was horrible!!! He came into the room and I reached out my hand to introduce myself and he side stepped me, never shook my hand and said "I am going to go order a sonogram of your liver. I said "I already had a sonogram, we have been waiting on you since Friday afternoon to come tell us the results." He seemed perplexed and said he didn't see that in the computer and would be right back, lol. Well, he came back and told us there was no blockage and that they were going to keep me in the hospital and were going to keep running blood work to monitor my liver functions and then he started to walk out of the room, I said wait a second please, I have some questions for you. By this time I was in tears with him and explained what had happened on Friday and how I ended up in the hospital in the first place. He rudely interrupted me and told me how he was on call and had been to four different hospitals already seeing other patients and that was the reason he was late in getting to me. Oh, my gosh, I wanted to scream in my frustration at this point. I said I am not blaming you for anything, I am just trying to explain what has been going on and I want to ask you some things before you leave. I told him about how I was supposed to be on Xeloda already (waiting on Ins. authorization) and that because I hadn't been my liver was now in the shape that it was. He seemed non-plused and said well, you will have to wait for your regular oncologist on Monday morning to get that sorted out. I asked if there was anything we could do now to bring my liver functions down and if I was in liver failure as of now, he said "Well, there isn't much we can do right now besides monitor things, your liver isn't in failure and it isn't critical at the moment but it is in significantly bad shape, the multiple tumors in your liver are pressing against blood vessels causing the liver to struggle to function and that we will have to wait for your onc on Monday morning." So there I was in the hospital from Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon basically having nothing done about my liver except monitoring the blood work on it. When my onc showed up Monday morning she couldn't believe that they had kept me in the hospital all weekend and had basically done nothing. She said that the on call onc should have taken me off of the medication called Diflucan (used to treat thrush of the mouth which is caused from the steroid) immediately because it is hard on the liver and raises your liver function numbers and that he should have started me on Xeloda right away and sent me home with instructions to see her as soon as possible. She got me started on Xeloda before I left the hospital but you wont believe this, I must have Murphy's Law stamped on my forehead, they were supposed to bring the Xeloda up to my room for me take before I left the hospital. Well, wouldn't you know it, it took them forever to bring it up to the nurses station and once they did they put it in the wrong patient box so I was stuck there along with the nurse for several hours waiting and wondering what was taking so long before they finally figured out what had happened. As soon as I got the Xeloda and took it they released me from the hospital, as they were wheeling me out I had such an urge to stretch my arms out to the sides as I rode down the halls saying "Free at last, free at last!" lol.

The only thing that got accomplished while I was there was that the steroid I am on also was causing my glucose levels to be very high, so they kept monitoring that too and giving me insulin injections, they call it temporarily diabetic because of steroids. This might help to explain why I have been so thirsty all of the time, I couldn't seem to get enough to drink. I thought it was because of the mouth trouble I have been having. The thirst isn't as bad now but I worry it will come back since I am no longer getting insulin now that I am at home. They also accomplished getting a blood return on my port which I had been having trouble with on my last 3 infusions by using Alteplase 2 mg to flush out any debris. They had to do it twice and typically they only leave it in the port line for 2 hours before drawing it back out but on the second go around they left it in for 3 hours. This will save me from having to have a dye study done on the port which I am grateful for.

My liver function numbers the morning I left the hospital were:

Bili = 5.3

SGPT = 975

SGOT = 535

Phosp. Alkali = 272

So there is some improvement in all but the Bili and Alkali. They will check them again on Friday when I go in for my monthly Zometa. They are going to hold off on my triple dose Herceptin every three weeks for a while.

Has anyone else ever experienced such high liver function numbers and if so can you please tell me about your experience?

Since being at home we have had to buy enough of the Xeloda from the pharmacy, out of pocket, to get me through until hopefully the insurance company authorizes it. Will check into being reimbursed if they authorize it.

Now we pray and hold fast to our faith and trust that this Xeloda is going to work. I don't even want to think about what will happen if it doesn't with the shape my liver is in right now. I am truly terrified that I might be running out of treatment options. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon9.gif

Believe51, The only reason you haven't heard from me or I haven't out talked you yet is because I was stuck in the hospital away from my computer, lol. Watch out though cuz here I come, lol.

Love & Hugs,
Nicola

tousled1
08-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Nicola,

I'm sorry I can't offer any advise about liver function numbers as I'm not familiar with them at all. At least you know there is no blockage so that has to be a good thing. I'm praying that the Xeloda will be the magic bullet!

Lala
08-08-2007, 04:57 AM
Nicola
I have heard of Diflucan causing issues with the liver function tests. I have a good friend that was on antibiotics for months she took Diflucan to rid a yeast infection. I was told to avoid it as it hangs around the liver for a while. I would use yogurt with live cultures instead as a natural remedy.
Good Luck to you. I wish you the best on the Xeloda.

Sheila
08-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Nicola
Wow, what a weekend.....Xeloda worked very well for me for over a year for node mets....very easy to take, I had Herceptin with it....heres hoping it kicks butt for the liver problems....you are in my thoughts and prayers that each new day brings strength and health.

nitewind
08-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Wow! It does sound like the weekend from h*ll! I'm hoping the new meds do the trick for you and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs

Odette
08-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Oh Nikki,

what a weekend you had! I wish you the very very best with the Xeloda. Hope it gets approved ASAP.
Wish I had some advice for you, all I have to offer is my prayers!

My keyboard at home is still broken, so I can't write much,

xoxo

Odette

Believe51
08-08-2007, 09:10 AM
I say: "Bring It Woman!!!"

As for the knowledge you need regarding the liver, I suggest that you do a seperate post asking liver questions. I know several women here who are quite knowledgeable concerning the liver. In fact, they are teaching me many things about the liver that I never knew, and I always have a thirst to learn. Even though this does not concern him right now on his journey, we never know. I learned about brain mets too when he did not need that information and look where we are now!!!

You are in our prayers and thoughts & we are sending positive energy your way. Keep up that fighting attitude since you will need it!! Keep us posted with this journey, I like to keep tabs on my friends progress.