PDA

View Full Version : Consult scheduled re brain mets

tousled1
08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I got a call this morning from my radiation onocologist and have an appointment to see him tomorrow at 2:00pm. It's just the consult to discuss the CyberKnife procedure and all the other wonderful things that go along with it.

I feel fortunate to have such a great team of doctors. At least I don't have to wait around for days waiting and worrying. They are moving ahead quickly. I've been doing some reading on the CyberKnife and I think it will work for me. I'm so lucky that there is only one met and that it is only 5mm. I don't know the metric system so I guess I'm going to have to learn it.

If anyone has had CyberKnife, I'd like to know how you tolerated the procedure and also what side effects you experienced.

LAURIE
08-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Kate, I don't have much to say or comment about Cyberknife. One thing I can say is that you seem so strong, your courage is inspiring. I am sure you will take to this procedure very well and will do great. I am thinking about you all the time. Work is keeping me away from blogging a lot, but I do keep up on your posts.

Lolly
08-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi Kate; just want to say I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
Also, have you tried entering cyberknife in the search field? I know several here have had the proceduer and you should be able to search for the posts that way.

Hope you have a good consult tomorrow, and try to get a good night's sleep!

<3 Lolly

sassy
08-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Kate,

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!
________
Vaporizer Bowl (http://vaporshop.com/)

Vanessa
08-07-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't have any wisdom about the cyberknife, but I just wanted to let you know that am thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers. I agree with the others, I admire your strength and courage. I hope everything goes well at your consult.

VaMoonRise
08-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Ditto to what everyone else has said and sending you lots of love, hugs, prayers and well wishes Sweetie.

Nicola

Kimberly Lewis
08-08-2007, 05:00 AM
There were a few of us as I remember who did this treatment.. Glad to hear you are in such good hands Kate. Call me if you need to talk anytime! we are proud of you and praying for you - kim

Odette
08-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Dear Kate,

I grew up with the metric system
5mm = * just about this asteric in 36 font I believe.

I'll double checked at home but it is about as small as we can have/theysee these pesky things! pesky thing be gone now!

Best wishes,

Odette

Shell
08-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Kate-

we're thinking of you...

Regards,

anne2
08-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Kate,
I was away for a few days, but I am sorry to hear about the brain met. But it is luckily just one and v. small. Glad it was caught v. early. Hugs to you and well wishes.
Anne

Sheila
08-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Kate
Sending you lots of prayers and love....you WILL beat this pesky met....glad there is only one and it is tiny...you are a trooper Kate....we all all with you on this journey!

chrisy
08-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Kate,
one crummy met the size of a pencil eraser will crumble to dust with with the cyberknife and your strong will!

tousled1
08-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Thank you everyone for your support.

I had my consult today and it went really well. I'm too tired now to give the details as I have chemo tomorrow morning and my butt is really dragging. I will post under a new thread and give all the details when my mind is clear.

pattyz
08-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Kate,
My experience with CyberKnife was for 6 brain mets, in two sessions, two days apart. All mets were in my cerrebellum. This was my last focalized rads to address the remainder of 14 brain lesions. I'd previously had three Linear Accelerator procedures.

The face mask forming: It is HOT when put on, but just as I thought I couldn't stand it, began to cool to acceptable. Seconds really.

I was on the table for an hour each session...... I had a lot of pain on the back of my head from the amount of time head was in that position. They clamp the mask down TIGHT. I found that purposely pursing my lips, tongue over teeth the second day while getting clamped to table gave me just enough room so I wasn't sore in mouth afterwards. Also had some Ativan that round. Much better, tho' head was sore again.

This was the only time I lost all hair to area radiated, and I believe it was from the area treated: low back of head. All hair grew back in a normal time frame.

All my focalized rads were 100% successful. I had a minimal amount of head pressure, some dizziness that low dose decadron for 7-10 days handled.

Hope this is of some help to you.
pattyz

Mary Anne in TX
08-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi Kate!
Just thinking of you and praying for you and waiting to hear your news! Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the outrageous courage you exhibit!
Luv and hugs,
mary anne

hutchibk
08-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the update Kate ... and thanks for the description of the experience, Patty!

Sherryg683
08-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Kate, I am thinking of you and praying for you. I am so sorry that you have been hit with this double whammy. You are strong and up beat and have the fighting spirit, you will beat this. Glad they caught the brain met early. I have a brain MRI tomorrow and I am so nervous. The pain management clinic I am going to (for my shingles) is giving me head to toe MRI's. I had the back done today, the brain tomorrow and the upper back and neck done probably saturday. I hate the things we have to go through, just wanted to know I am thinking about you..sherry

tousled1
08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Pattyz,
Thanks for your experience with the CyberKnife.

Sherry, I had to have MRI of my entire spine - cervical, thorasic and lumbar -- no mets. It's the waiting that get you anxious. I'm praying that everythig will be ok. When you have the MRIs scheduled you can ask your oncologist for a prescription for Ativan and they will give you just enough pills to get you through the MRIs. I think you get one pill for each test. It really helps to relas you while you're in the tube listenting to the thumping or music through headphones that doesn't really keep out the thumping noise. I'm sure everything will be fine.