PDA

View Full Version : Other meds to be aware of while on Tykerb

hutchibk
08-06-2007, 11:58 PM
I found this tonight when I was looking for side effects of possible Xeloda overdose... Within moments of taking my evening dose, I suddenly couldn't remember if I had already taken it. Still can't. But I don't think I took it twice. Yikes if I did. Anyway, I also googled Tykerb overdose info just in case I screw that one up someday, and I found this list which I don't think I have ever seen before, and thought I would share.

What other drugs will affect Tykerb?

Before using Tykerb, tell your doctor if you are using any of the following drugs:
cimetidine (Tagamet);
dexamethasone (Decadron, Hexadrol);
rifabutin (Mycobutin);
rifampin (Rifadin, Rifater, Rifamate, Rimactane);
rifapentine (Priftin);
St. John's wort;
antibiotics such as clarithromycin (Biaxin), telithromycin (Ketek), ketoconazole (Nizoral), itraconazole (Sporanox), or voriconazole (Vfend);
antidepressants such as citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), or sertraline (Zoloft);
a calcium channel blocker such as amlodipine (Norvasc), diltiazem (Tiazac, Cartia, Cardizem), felodipine (Plendil), nicardipine (Cardene), nifedipine (Procardia, Adalat), nimodipine (Nimotop), nisoldipine (Sular), or verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan);
HIV /AIDS medicine such as indinavir (Crixivan), nelfinavir (Viracept), ritonavir (Norvir), or saquinavir (Invirase, Fortovase); or
seizure medications (http://www.drugs.com/tykerb.html#) such as carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol) or phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton).

Esther
08-07-2007, 01:34 AM
That's interesting...since alot of us are put on Tykerb/Xeloda for brain mets, and dexamethasone is routinely given to help control edema in the brain.

I'll have to keep that in mind, in case I need to take Decadron again. Thanks for posting this.

supermehra
08-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Apparently, Epsolin also makes a difference. Decadron can usually continue, but they take the Tykerb dose up. The logic has been that Epsolin (Dilantin) and Dec metabolizes the Tykerb faster... hence the dosage adjustment. Mom's been on small amounts of Dec (0.5mg - 1mg) for the last 6 months while taking Tykerb + Xeloda.

doh2pa
08-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi Brenda,

Thanks for posting this list, very useful.

I too have had a few moments where I couldn't remember if I took my Xeloda. I'd like to blame it on chemo brain, but who knows. Anyway, early on I started using this little trick. Everytime I take my pills (tykerb or xeloda), I turn the pill bottle upside down. Then I know that I took it. Now hours later I have to remember to turn them right side up again for the next time - a gargantuan feat for the memory challenged - but so far it's worked. Before this little trick I used to count pills but that got old real fast!

Take care,

lilyecuadorian
08-09-2007, 10:54 AM
thanks Donna great idea ......with my tamoxifen ....I will do that trick ....

hutchibk
08-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the idea... I am actually really organized about taking the Tykerb and Xeloda. My doc's office gave me gift bags from Roche and GSK when I first started each that had the Monday-Sunday little pill organizers. Xeloda comes with AM and PM sides to it, so I don't have much chance to screw up. However, I am in the middle of moving to a new house, and half of my stuff had been moved to the new house, and half hadn't. My pill organizers had been moved, but my pill bottles hadn't, so there you go... I am so glad I have those Tykerb and Xeloda pill organizers, otherwise I would probably be in the emergency room every week!

ELLE
08-24-2007, 05:49 PM
please give me the website where you found that there is a contradiction with tykerb and lexapro. My doctor checked this out before giving me tykerb and said it was all right with the lexapro. thanks*

Sheila
08-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Brenda
When I was on Xeloda, 2 weeks on and 1 week off, morning and evening doses, I too had a hard time remembering if I had taken the Xeloda or not...so I DID use those pill boxes, labeled Monday-Sunday and at the beginning of my 2 weeks, I sorted the stash into each day (I used 2 of them, week #1 and Week #2)...The next time I didn't remember, I opened the day and I knew right away....Xeloda is not something I would want to OD on!

hutchibk
08-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Elle - here's the link, from Drugs.com

http://www.drugs.com/tykerb.html

ELLE
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Thank You. My Doctors Pharmacist At The Cancer Clinic Checked Lexapro And It Does Not Interact With Tykerb. Evidently That List Is Not Accurate For Some Reason.just Thought I Would Let You Know. Elle

hutchibk
08-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Good to know. I suppose that the list from Drugs.com is a good jumping off point so that we can talk to our docs and they can rule out problems. I am sure that GSK and all of the big pharm. companies amend the lists of interactions from time to time. I think maybe the "tell your doctor if..." lists are as much because it can cause worsening of side effects as opposed to interaction or interference.