PDA

View Full Version : I will be "gumming" pretty soon

LisaElder1972
08-05-2007, 01:00 AM
This beast holds nothing sacred.I lost my boobs,I lost my hair,came very close to losing my mind.Now,my teeth are crumbling and falling out!!!I always took care of my teeth.I have some terrible toothaches sometimes.I have 2 broke off at the gumline.One of my front teeth split in the middle so now I have a gap between my front teeth and spaces between some other teeth because they are shifting.I have dental insurance through my husbands job so I wasn't too concerned and I made an appointment with the Dentist last week.I told her my first and foremost concern is fixing the 2 front teeth so I don't look like a snaggle toothed old hag.She said I need a root canal and a crown on 1 of the teeth and a buildup and a crown on the other.After insurance pays I still have to pay $500.00!!!!
I called my health insurance(United Healthcare) and asked them if they would cover some of the cost.They told me to have my Dentist request prior approval and they would.That's gonna take 3 weeks and I am terrified that one my front teeth will fall out,then I will be hurting.If I had the money I would pay myself but as you all know,breast cancer leaves you poor as dirt.Anyone else have dental problems and what did you do?

Lisa

sassy
08-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Lisa,

I don't really have any advice, just wanted to send my support and prayers to you. Will your dentist go ahead and start the work based on the info your health ins. gave? Perhaps they can give you a temporary partial if one falls out?

Hang in there!
________
HURT FROM PAXIL (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Yorkiegirl
08-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Yes, I had Dental problems as well. I did have a teeth cleaning and x-ray's and good check up before starting Chemo and everything was fine.

After Chemo, 2 of my teeth in the back cracked. I had to have 6 crowns done.

TSund
08-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Lisa,

I'm sorry for your troubles. :( I've heard that Biotene helps protect the teeth during chemo, don't know if that's true or not.

Does anyone know which drug is the culprit for teeth problems? Do rads affect this also>?

TRS

Yorkiegirl
08-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I know with me I did use the Biotene Toothpaste and the mouth wash the whole time.

I'm not sure which drug was the culprit. I had AC and Abraxane.

Now I did have some Dental work done while I was getting rad's and also while I was on Herceptin.

tousled1
08-05-2007, 11:03 AM
I had problems with my teeth as well. Just had 3 teeth pulled and thank goodness they were all in the back. Chemo is very hard on the teeth. My dentist recommended the Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash which I am now using.

harrie
08-05-2007, 06:54 PM
I recommend ACT mouthrinse because it contains fluoride which will help mineralize and strengthen the tooth structure. There are also prescription fluorided toothpastes you can use with a higher concentration of fluoride (can't think of the name right now due to chemo brain).

Sometimes while under stress people tend to clench, and if there are existing fractures on teeth, this may lead to part of the tooth breaking off.

Biotene is a good toothpaste to use for the prevention of mouth sores.

Maryanne

kcherub
08-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Oh, I am so sorry you are dealing with this! You didn't say, but I am curious as to what caused the problems...did your oncologist say?

I am currently having shooting pains in my front lower teeth, but it might be from clenching (which I am catching myself doing). I had a dental check up before starting chemo, but no one told me that I might have serious tooth issues FROM the chemo. I haven't even seen that on anything I have read, and I have read a LOT!

Please keep me updated on how you are doing. Hope they can get it fixed soon for you--I will be praying that you get some relief!

Krista

harrie
08-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Kcherub,
After my mastectomy, I was going through some issues, and I know that I was clenching. I experienced a sharp pain in one of my teeth and I know it was from the clenching. I wore my mouth splint and later when the stress subsided as well as the clenching, the pain from the tooth cleared up.
I may be mistaken, but I think many of the problems from the teeth are not primarily due to the direct effects from the chemo, but from secondary problems such as clenching/stress.
Chemo can have a direct impact on the soft tissue like the tongue and cheeks. That is where Biotene is helpful.
Maryanne

MJo
08-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Oh my goodness! I was going to ask about dental problems. THank you. My front tooth has a a hairline crack down the middle. Never had this happen before. Had AC, Taxol and Herceptin for 9 months (Like you I had to stop early due to drop in Muga) I don't know if chemo had anything to do with this. I'm going to dentist next week.

AlaskaAngel
08-06-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm 5 years out from treatment, and having been treated "back when", my treatment is not really common now (CAF x 6, rads, and briefly tamoxifen due to ? tamo risk for HER2's). No Herceptin. I never had cracked teeth prior to treatment but since then I have. In fact, another one in the lower front just cracked and broke off a chunk again last month. My dentist said he believes chemo (loss of estrogen?) does contribute to this problem.

On the bright side, I had frequent cavities prior to treatment and have not had a single one since. (In what teeth are left, anyway.)

AlaskaAngel

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-06-2007, 10:18 AM
You can read my chemo history in my signature. Lisa, I'm sorry about your teeth issue which, as you say, is further evidence that this beast leaves nothing sacred.

I have had a series of cracked teeth (all in the back, upper and lower) over the years. The dentist keeps asking if I clench. I DID and I had a mouthgaurd made a hundred years ago. When I feel myself clenching, or more accurately my bite *shifts* causing pressure in all the wrong places, feeling weird -- I insert my mouthgaurd. I know how important it is. I use it nightly and occasionally by day when home, when my acclusion is off. Still, I keep getting the cracking. And the expense of crowning, etc. Had one root canal in the same back area on upper right, in gum line.

Never had I suspected the chemo. Just like w/bruising easily. Until I read a post commenting about it, I never made the connection. Which chemo was/is responsible???? Dunno. But it makes sense. I've been on chemo for so long, I don't exactly remember normal. I do know I was a lot younger and figured age countered in, now I'm rethinking.

Thanks all for wising me up. I do not have dental insurance and I am bowled over by the exorbitant price of teeth. I have noted that every one I know who is around my age is having problems in this area, without ever being on chemo. CLENCHING is often the culprit. My old NY dentist used to say -- if you have to put a credit card in your mouth, you have to protect your teeth. She was the brightest and best dentist in the entire world. I adored her. Have a great guy now in Fla, I must say. But not cheap. Wish I had dental insurance. Didn't come w/my husband's job, unfortunately and is quite costly in and of itself.

I did have a LOOSE tooth in the front and was terrified I would lose it before I got it tended to. Forget what the hold up was all about -- oooh memory loss? Now what could that be from?! The dentist did assure me it was imbedded a lot more than I thought, and I should be fine. I ate only soft foods, just to be on the safe side. And did so carefully. It all worked out in the end.

Sending you all a smiley face and LOVE, as always... ANDI :)

Margerie
08-06-2007, 10:28 AM
When you WBC go down, so does your ability to fight infection (tooth, gum, bone). Also chemo can cause you to change your eating habits and hygiene. Like more frequent small snacks, maybe more carbs, more juice, not as much energy for flossing, etc. And vomiting is an acid wash for your teeth and gums. A chemo biggie is dry mouth- can cause inflammed tissue and makes your teeth MUCH more prone to decay. Even if chemo is just a few months- it can really wreck havoc on your mouth, on your teeth. The Biotene products lubricate (to help with dry mouth, prevent mucositis) and the fluoride products help strengthen teeth and prevent decalcification/decay.

dskdrive
08-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I had to have a crown and now I am haviing problems with another tooth cracking. I am almost 3 years out, 54 yrs. young and never had teeth problems before!!! At least I am NED for which I am grateful. I am lucky enough to have pretty good dental insurance for now. The beast will not let us forget that it is lurking around.