PDA

View Full Version : jury duty

katsc49
08-03-2007, 03:22 PM
hi, everyone,
Has any one ever gotten a jury summons while on chemo?
I got one today and called them, but the lady said if I wasn't 65
I needed a drs. statement.
kathy

Stephanie B.
08-03-2007, 03:32 PM
I got a jury duty summons while on chemo. I just gave it to the girls at my onc office and they sent a letter and got me out of it. That was over a year ago and I haven't gotten one since.

Stephanie B.

janet/FL
08-03-2007, 05:18 PM
I am currently going to be AWOL from jury duty. I have had two summers of treatment and this summer I will not stay around for jury duty. I am traveling. The judge let me off for duty with a doctor's excuse but rescheduled it again. The doctor did not specify the reason for an excuse. If I can't make the next date, I will write the judge and he can do what he wants. But I won't be there. If you are on chemo, I can't imagine the judge wouldn't take a doctor's excuse. I am all for serving--but--sometimes you just can't.

Yorkiegirl
08-03-2007, 08:36 PM
I got a jury summons while taking Chemo. My Onc wrote a letter and I faxed it to the court house along with a copy of jury summons filled out in the area where I couldn't serve, and that was all it took for no jury duty.

lu ann
08-04-2007, 01:27 AM
I was excused when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant 1991, in chemo treatment in 1992, and just recently I was called again. I was willing to serve because I was on a tx. break but they excused me. I have a feeling someday I will be serving a jury.

Chelee
08-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I *just* received a notice for Jury Duty. I was kind of surprised since I was already on permanent disabiltiy and sent them a note from my doctor and my award letter from SSDI YEARS ago. I have never recieved another request until now? I would like to serve but its pretty much impossible in my current situation.
Due to my disablity and now taking care of my Mother with stage IV lung cancer I just don't see how I could do it.

Chelee

hutchibk
08-04-2007, 05:41 PM
I never received notice for jury duty until I was diagnosed. Totally coincidencidental, but odd. Since then, I have received one just about every 6 months for 3 years. Each time, I have my doc sign a letter that states that I am in permanent chemo and will probably never be able to serve, but they don't get the message, and they keep sending them. And my doc keeps writing the same letter. It's like Groundhog Day.

katsc49
08-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi, All,
Thanks so much for your understanding. When I called about this, The lady heard Breast Cancer and chemo but still said if I wasn't 65, I would need a drs. statemment. I am taking the paperwork to my onco tomorrow.
I am on a taxotere break but by then will be back on another chemo and that is more important.
Happy sunday to everyone,
kathy

Shell
08-08-2007, 01:01 PM
your doctor's note should resolve things for you - it is a personal decision whether thserve, but certainly a doctor's note about your treatment should resolve thinkgs...

Good luck with it.

Kind regards,

doh2pa
08-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi

I got called for county jury duty a few weeks ago and filled out the form. Said I was on chemo for metastatic breast ca. Didn't send a doctor's note, I just figured I would see what happens. I really could serve but it's the week my son leaves for college and it just would be a scheduling mess. I just got the post card yesterday saying I was excused. Not sure if it was the chemo thing - the explanation was "statutory excuse".

chrisy
08-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Hmmm...

It didn't even occur to me! I was summoned twice when i was getting heceptin alone, I guess i figured I could serve as long as they worked around my infusion schedule! Although I think being on a jury with chemo brain wouldn't be a good idea...

Mary Anne in TX
08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Wouldn't it be fun (perhaps not for the person on trial) to have a jury full of us "chemo brain" jurors! They would probably never LET us serve again!!! I'm smiling just thinking of how it would be!!! ma

chrisy
08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
scary, mary anne! can you imagine trying to come up with a verdict??? 12 airhead women, all saying "....what?????...

Mary Anne in TX
08-09-2007, 02:12 PM
It would take years to decide a verdict!!!!!!! Too many options!

tricia keegan
08-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I got one too and had to send in a Dr's letter confirming I was doing chemo!

IRENE FROM TAMPA
08-09-2007, 06:33 PM
several times. All I did was fill out the form they send you and faxed it back to them. This happened twice while on chemo. I had already served several times prior to my cancer.

I just explained that I was on chemo and could not tell them how I would feel and that I might have to take treatment while on duty. They did not give me any hassles excusing me.
I dont think you will have any issues if you can't serve.