PDA

View Full Version : Lyrica vs. Neurontin for Neuropathy in foot

weezie1053
08-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Are any of you gals taking Lyrica vs. Neurontin for neuropathy in the feet? I took Neurontin in the spring, and it made me feel drowsy. I saw a Podiatrist last week to remove Planter Warts on the bottom of my foot(which he said probably came from the chemo and a virus). He said he hasn't prescribed Neurontin in 8 months, and he is having great success with Lyrica. Side affect of Lyrica is weight gain. I was starting to lose weight, and I am fighting the battle of the bulge again. Oddly enough, the Lyrica seems to be helping--so far.

Eventually, I should have the bionic body.

Louise

Alice
08-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi there,
I would like to hear more about this medication. I have been on Nurontin for about 18 months now. It has saved my sanity, although it leaves me feeling drousy and a bit hung over in the morning. I am always looking for a better alternative.
Alice

tousled1
08-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Jouise,

I have a long history with Neurontin -- took it for a few years after my lumbar spinal fusion and stopped it about 2 years ago. It was like having an out of body experience. Neurontin is also used to treat hot flashes and depression.

I am taking Lyrica (50mg) three times a day. It works fine for me and I haven't noticed any weight gain while on it.

LisaElder1972
08-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi Ladies!Chemo left me with severe neuropathy in my legs and my hands with my left hand being useless due to numbness and pain.I never took Neurontin but I have been on Lyrica since February.When I started taking it I was walking on a cane.It seemed like a miracle,I had total response to it in my legs.It helps my arm a little bit but still have lots of trouble with it.Another big plus is that it helps with hot flashes.I take 600 mg a day and when combined with Effexor,my hot flashes stopped completly!!As far as bad side effects,made me drowsy for a few weeks but stopped.However the weight gain sucks!!!I have 40 pounds extra from all my txs and it won't budge.

Lisa

sassy
08-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Neurontin has helped me tremendously with aches, pains, nerve damage and hot flashes, but the weight gain is really an issue. Does Lyrica cause less weight gain than Neurontin?
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Donna
08-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Dear Louise,

I have been taking Neurontin for months and I can't say as it has helped my neuropathic feet at all. When I first experienced the neruropathy the only thing that helped was Vicodan. I do think Neurontin has helped my mood some combined with Effexor.

I miss the feeling in my feet since I am a "shoe" person. That being said, the best thing I found to help my feet is wearing
Crocs - ugly as heck, but they REALLY help my feet. Weight gain has not been an issue with Neurontin for me.

The other thing that I do is have pedicures at a salon where they massage my feet and legs really well - I always feel better after that.

Best to luck finding something that works for you!

Donna

weezie1053
08-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I have been on the Lyrica almost a week, and I can already see a difference in the Neuropathy in my feet. I agree that the Lyrica makes you less fatigued than the Neurontin so I think it is a good alternative. Insofar as weight gain goes, I am hoping if my feet feel better, I can put on my tenny pumps and start walking again. There is always a silver lining!

Just curious...did anybody else have plantar warts? My oncologist says I'm a walking friggin textbook for side affects. I know now that is not uncommon to lose the toenails (and I lost a few), but the Doc surprised me when he said he thought the plantar warts came from the chemo affects. He relieved some of the pain with his blade, but I'm scheduled for laser surgery on the plantar warts on Wed...20 minutes and I'll be out the door and back to work the next day (so he says).

Louise

lu ann
08-05-2007, 08:30 PM
My husband was on neurontin for nerve pain a while back and got so dissy he fell over the coffee table. Just be carefull.

Lolly
08-06-2007, 01:03 AM
I took Neurontin during Taxol back in 2000, and it really helped the severe nerve pain in feet and legs. Didn't notice other side effects.

<3 Lolly