PDA

View Full Version : Caution when on AVASTIN

Sheila
08-01-2007, 09:17 AM
The things we learn....and although I do know they prefer you don't have unecessary dental work done (who would want to???) while on chemo, I did not realize that they do not want you to have ANY type of dental, surgical procedures etc while on Avastin. I found this out when I woke up yesterday with a throbbing toothache, called the dentist who is an endodontist and my oncologist. Seems that if the tooth is on the bottom, there are more blood vessels, and more of a chance of bleeding uncontrolably. They are hoping that antibiotics and Vicodin will settle the tooth down so I can finish the Avastin before getting a root canal done. It is also advised that one is totally off AVASTIN for 30 days before having any work done (surgical or dental.) Not a good thing when you must choose between dental pain and treatment....the dentist did say that if it gets too unbearable, they could try to do the root canl with no anesthesia......THAT SOUNDS SCARY!

Believe51
08-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Sheila, I will not ask if it ever ends because I am experiencing that answer!! What I will say is that a root canal without anesthesia sounds just as scary as chemotherapy!!! Oow!

I have you always close to heart & prayers for you are plentiful. What a beautiful person you are and how blessed am I to have even gotten to know you!! I am honored to consider you part of our 'extended family'!!

Waiting For A Miracle....and commanding one NOW!!>>Believe51

tousled1
08-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Sheila,

I can not begin to imagine a root canal with out anesthesia. I did know that while you are on chemo of any kind they want you to limit any type of dental work that you have. That's why I got a lot of work done on my teeth just 2 weeks ago. I hope that the antiobiotics help with the tooth because there's nothing worse than having a tooth ache!

chrisy
08-01-2007, 01:02 PM
But I had the same thing happen to me just a few weeks ago...and after consulting with my oncologist and the dental professionals, I went ahead and had the root canal. WITH anesthesia I might add. My oncologist did not say not to do it - only to make sure that the endodontist and everyone else knew I was on Avastin.

My tooth was in the back on the bottom as well. I had no problems, and am 1/2 way done with getting the crown.

I hope the drugs and antibiotics take care of it for you. However, if you have to have it done I don't understand why they would do it without numbing it! It's not like they would put you under. Or at least give you a nice big chocolate martini.

Good luck, my dear.

Sheila
08-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Chrisy
Is it the Avastin or are we turning into siamese twins....first the B/P....same med by the way, then the tooth, root canal and crown....what next? Oh yeah, chocolate martinis!

hutchibk
08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Chocolate Martinis? When? Where? I'll be there!

Believe51
08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
I wanna come, I'll even make them for us!!! Delish I am sure (been saying that word ions before Rachel Ray girls LOL!!).

Waiting For A Miracle...and commanding one NOW!!>>Believe51

MCS
08-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Sheila,
Oh my God! Any flavor martini, a tribple with a couple of ativan

What do we go thru for this stuff is beyond me

love

MCS ( maria)

chrisy
08-01-2007, 03:12 PM
AND I LOVE IT!

It is amazing what we go though, just to keep doing our life. I love how despite the hairlessness, tiredness, diva-ness, you all keep pushing through. You are all my inspiration!

Not so sure the Ativan is such a good idea, tho!

And Sheila, I'm looking forward to coming up with twin things for us to do for another 30 or 40 years! Hopefully more along the lines of chocolate martinis rather than root canals!

DonnaD
08-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Dear friend,
The chocolate martini sounds much better than the beer you were looking forward to!

Seriously, I hope the antibiotics and pain meds help and you can wait until after Avastin for the dental work.

You are always helping others with information, humor and words of encouragement. I am proud to be a part of this extended family.

Good luck!
Donna

Mary Jo
08-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey, wait for me....................I'm hopping on the chocolate martini wagon too.http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif We'll just drink, laugh and watch the world go by. Cancer??????????? What's that???????????????

Oh, if only it was that simple huh? But what a wonderful thought.

Mary Jo