PDA

View Full Version : HELP -- Possible Brain Mets

tousled1
07-31-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm in desparate need of some encouragement right about now. As you know I was just diagnosed with lung mets and I had a brain scan yesterday morning. I received a call from my oncologist's office and she wants me to now have a brain MRI. I asked if something showed up on the brain scan of yesterday. The reply was that a blimp showed up and that she wants a brain MRI done. I'm waiting for the office to call back with the date/time of scheduling. I'm praying that it's not brain mets, but what else could it possibly be???

Yorkiegirl
07-31-2007, 11:33 AM
AWWW Kate I am truly praying hard for you that this blimp that showed up is nothing at all.

Sending you a BIG CYBER HUG !!!!!!

DonnaD
07-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Kate,
I am praying for you, and many others will be doing the same thing. The hardest part is this darn waiting. Keep your chin up and your faith strong. I just had my yearly mammograms and they called me in for two other views looking at a suspicious area in the other breast. Turned out to be nothing. That is what I am praying for you as well. I know this is a very hard time.

Donna

Believe51
07-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Not the post I wanted to read about my dear sweet friend. As you know you are a big inspiration to us here at HER2support, but most of all...to Ed and myself. I shall continue to pray for you Kate and will include you in prayer throughout my week with special positive thoughts for your new battle. Hopefully the test showed something unclear and that with clarity it is found 'clean'. The good thing (LOL=like there is a good thing) is you have already started your treatment and that will start kicking those cancer cells butts!!

I feel so helpless when I read your post, especially because I know you have been under the weather since starting your new treatment. If I could get in the car and get to Georgia this week I surely would, but I am going to save that until you are feeling a little better. When you do feel like your "NORMAL" self...LOL, expect a visit from us, I need to give you a big hug for all the wonderous things you give to us in this friendship. For now I can only remind you that 'I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES', they do happen and I wish that so for you my sweetness.

Until you know for sure, try to think of the 'What Is', not the 'What Ifs', it is difficult but you have done harder things in this journey. You are a tough, inspiring, vibrantly beautiful woman from the inside out!!! I shall refuse to think about the brain mets until I have confirmation to do so. Until then I shall be here anytime, day or night for you. I wish I could do more for you Kate and if there is something I can do, consider it done. For now I must say, miracles aside: I Still Do and Always Will, Still BELIEVE!!!! Hey, they do not call me BELIEVE for nothing ya' know!!

GO GET "EM KATE, SHOW THEM UGLY CANCER CELLS WHO IS THE BOSS. MAKE THEM GO RUNNING!!! We Love You!!

PS. Thanks again for the call to see how he made out with his last WBR treatment, words can never describe how that call made us feel. We are forever indebted to your friendship. Thanks for being Kate!!

Waiting For A Miracle....and commanding one soon>>Believe51

Mary Jo
07-31-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry you have to go through this additional stress Kate. Truly I am. I, too, am praying that it is just a "blip" and NOTHING more.

Love & God's Peace I send,

Mary Jo

Sheila
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Kate
I am also saying lots of prayers that this is nothing...CT's are not accurate when it comes to the brain, hence the MRI....keep positive, you are in my thoughts/

Laurad
07-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Kate,
Though I rarely post, I do read the messages almost daily. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Your posts have always been so welcoming and encouraging. I will keep you in my prayers. Hopefully the blimp will turn out to be just that!
Laurad

Kimberly Lewis
07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi Kate - feels like a one two punch for sure! Really banging on heavens door for you. I go for my brain MRI next week! I pray we both get the all clear. hugs, Kim

lexigirl
07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Dear Kate,

Not too long after my diagnosis I began having headaches daily. I had a brain mri. When I went to my radiation appt, the rads onc asked me if I'd ever had a seizure before. I told him no. It really scared me. He said what showed up appeared benign. He said many many people have abnormalities on their brain and go through life never knowing. I am hopeful that what may have showed up is something similar.

Hugs and Prayers ALways,
Lexi

Belinda
07-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Kate and Him - good luck to both of you on your scans. Hugs to you both and hoping the frightening waiting period is all for nought!

Bx

kareneg
07-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Dear Kate,

It could just be a slice on the CT. I am praying for you that it is just that, I hope you get in there soon because the waiting is horrible as we all know. Have you had any symptoms headaches etc? Kepp strong my friend and I will be praying for the best results.

caya
07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Kate,

I am praying for you that this is just a "blimp" - could be many things - my brother had "lesions" show up on his brain MRI that turned out to be caused by a very low Vitamin B12 level in his body - he was having symptoms of numbness.
Please keep your courage up, do you have any symptoms?

Wishing you all the best
caya

Lolly
07-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Kate, I hope it's nothing. It's so hard not knowing, please keep us posted.

<3 Lolly

tousled1
07-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Thank you again for all your support and encouragement. I have no symptoms and the brain scan was done because I hadn't had a brain MRI since last August. And with the lung mets, she wanted to check the brain. I thought it would just show that I had no brain left after all the toxic chemicals that have been pumped into my system. I'm keeping busy and trying not to think about the "what if" but am thinking "it's nothing."

I've been plagued with sinus problems all my life and even had surgery on them in 1999 so I'm hoping that something is showing up in the sinus. Gotta remain positive here. Don't know what I'd do without the wonderful support and encouragement from you wonderful women on the site. I will keep you posted.

StephN
07-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Dear Kate -

"Stop the world, I want to get off!" Or turn back the clock to yesterday.
I know you are knawing your nails to the nubs right about now! Been where you are and done that. With the exception that for purposes of looking for brain mets, I NEVER had a CT - only MRIs. And I am a bit shocked that you had a CT instead, especially now that you have confirmed lung mets. A big boo boo on someone's part.

If you had been going into a clinical trial for the lung mets, it would have called for an MRI for sure. Also, there is no radiation with the MRI as there is with CT scans.

Sure hope they get you in right away - like NEXT available, or have you come in as a "work in."

I had my umpteenth brain MRI today. Have lost count, but have at least 4 a year now. Before the mets and treatment, those butterflies left me hardly able to do anything till I got the all clear. I also have a spot is something called "ischemic disease." Probably from one of the many bumps on my head, and a couple of concussions.

Hang tough and we will get you through this one, too.

P.S. The brain MRI looks at the brain - not the sinuses. Your skeletal structure shows, but the detail is of the "soft tissue" brain area. I have had CT of just my sinuses earlier this year. A whole different positioning.

chrisy
07-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Kate, it could very well be nothing - and I hope this is the case. Your doctor is being super diligent, which is good. CT scans are not very specific for brain stuff - hence the MRI.

I hope that what they see is the Goodyear blimp - meaning that it is NOTHING!

Let us know what you find out.

Joy
07-31-2007, 05:35 PM
I hope your head is empty too! What a rididulous drag to have to go through the stress! Please keep us updated-you are in the best place for support on empty headedness or brain mets, but I am PRAYING for the former!

jojo
07-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Kate,

My heart goes out to you re: recently diagnosed stage 4. :-( Terryfing, huh? :-( I was a stage 3c (3b in the old standings) for some time, until I became stage 4. Been mets for 4 YEARS!

YOU can do it, Kate! Keep on going!!! Plus, you have a LOT of people here on the board cheering you on! :-)

BTW, if you hadn't experienced a brain MRI, the procedure would typically take about 45 minutes.

Sending you a fuzzy cyperhug! :-)

Becky
07-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Kate

I am thinking about you. For the record, CT scans of the brain are not that great. The MRI will tell much more about it. It could just be normal vascularization (normal hardening of the arteries) which show up differently on a CT than an MRI. This did happen to me (seriously). I just never posted it (Feb 2005) because I was so scared I was paralyzed with fear. Was your last MRI "clear" - meaning did it mention a benign condition - if so, this may be what the CT scan is seeing but the radialogist can't make out.

As always, I am thinking of you.

Love and a big hug to you.

sassy
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Kate,

You know I have you in my thoughts and prayers. Keeping positive!
________
E-cigarette store (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

Barbara H.
07-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi Kate,
You are in my thoughts and I hope you receive a positive report. I've been there three years ago, and am still going strong. I'm therefore sure you will do well, either way.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

Jean
07-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Kate,
I will be keeping you in my prayers. Keep those positive thoughts flowing.
Since a CT scan does not give the answers - I am thinking it is nothing
but a blimp....hopefully the MRI will give you the news we want to hear.

Hang in - the waiting is so very hard. But know you are loved.

Jean

Catherine
07-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Kate, you are one of our leaders. So we are all in your band to keep the music upbeat.(I think I will play the clarinet). My prayers our going out to you. You are a dear person and we are here to help you during this waiting period. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your tests.

Love and hope to you, Catherine

tousled1
08-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Just got a call from my oncologist's office and my MRI is scheduled for Friday morning at 10:45am. I sure wish I could have gotten it today since I see my onc tomorrow when I get my chemo. Rest assured, I will have an in-depth conversation about the scan and exactly what did/did not show up and what she is thinking it may/may not be. I'm remaining positive and will keep you all posted. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your concern and support. You guys are the greatest!!

Emelie
08-01-2007, 09:30 AM
First, let me say that I have you in my heart, and my prayers as you wait this one out too. As for the brain scan, it could possibly be lesions that everyone has, but you don't know about them until you have an MRI. My daughter had one done because she gets migraines. The GP referred us to a neurologist and he said everyone has them. Not to worry. Put her on Topomax and she is good to go!
Hope and pray that yours is a simple as this too.
Keep the faith,
Emelie

tricia keegan
08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Kate I just saw your post and like everyone else here will be hoping like crazy it's nothing serious.I'm sorry you have this worry but stay strong!

MJo
08-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Good luck. God Bless. Hope it's not serious.

Shell
08-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Kate-

I know this is such a tough time for you. Believe it or not, the brain MRI is easier to deal with than the lung mets. One thing at a time. Continue with the testing for the brain MRI, but focus on the treatment for the lungs. There are so many options out there, and you need to be aware of that. When I was first diagnosed with lung mets, I was devastated. My onc recommended xeloda, and I did the clinical trial with or without lapatinib(tykerb) and was thrilled to have it stabilize for nearly 18 months!!

Please keep us posted as to your news...

Kind regards,

lu ann
08-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I just completed WBR 2 weeks ago. It was rough but doable. I am very much fatigued, but I'm getting better every day.

When I origionally had BC in 1991 I had a TIA which is like a mini stroke without the long term damage. I had so many tests to find out if I had brain mets. At the time I was told I'd have about 2 years to live with brain mets treated with WBR.

Things are so much different now. We are living many more years. Some of us have been given NED and are living wonderfull qualities of life. Any time the brain is involed is a scary thing. Just try hard to not freak yourself out till you know all the facts.

This has been hard for me, but it is no longer my worst nightmare, it's done.

I will pray for you, Kate. Blessings, Lu Ann