PDA

View Full Version : Concerned

Vanessa
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I had a catscan on Saturday and was supposed to see my doctor tomorrow for the results. Her office called today and cancelled my appointment and they are going to schedule a petscan for Thursday, which probably means that they found something on the catscan. I was hoping that I would get to stop chemo and just continue with Herceptin.

Sheila
07-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Vanessa
I am hoping that they just want to double check something that looks odd...and hoping it is nothing. You are in my prayers that all will be well and you can go back to just Herceptin and save your energy for those 2 wonderful grandchildren.
Sending you a big hug

tousled1
07-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Vanessa,

I'm praying that nothing showed up on the scan and as Sheila said, they just want to double check. Perhaps the equipment was not working properly the day you had the scan. Sending nothing but positive thoughts your way.

Joy
07-30-2007, 04:47 PM
they can't believe the CT cause it is great news and want a PET to check it out! Just trying to think positively and hoping things are in the right direction.

G. Ann
07-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Waiting can be so difficult. On the one hand, it's good your doctor ordered the additional scan so quickly, rather than going in to his office, and then possibly facing a delay to get the second test. The doc probably wants to have all the info before meeting with you so he can fully answer all your questions. Sometimes the medical professionals fail to take into consideration how a rescheduled appt can add to our stress level, especially when you didn't get the results of the first test. Secondly, many of us like to know the reasons behind a doctor's decisions so we can start gathering info and thinking of questions to ask at the next appt.

If waiting to talk to the doctor is causing you more anxiety, could you talk to him on the phone and ask why he is ordering this second test?

Hoping the time passes quickly for you and that you'll have good news.

chrisy
07-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Dear vanessa,

I know the natural reaction is to assume the worst - but you don't KNOW this. Breathe in, breathe out. I'm also sending you big hugs and prayers and hopes for the best. I like Joy's.

Take care
Chris

Mary Jo
07-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Sending hugs to you Vanessa. Waiting is SOOOOO awful. Fear of he unknown is SOOOOOOO awful too.

I'm sorry you have to go through this too. Like the others have said, maybe it's nothing at all. Just a "make sure of something" type scan. Like Joy said, maybe you could call and ask "why?" they are doing the PET.

Holding you close in prayer.

Mary Jo

Mary Anne in TX
07-30-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm hoping that they are just being super careful and that it will be nothing! Thinking good thoughts for you. ma

Becky
07-30-2007, 07:52 PM
I know that it is scary but your onc may just see that some of your "tumors" look really funny and she might think they are dying and wants to confirm that with a PET (as "living" tumor is what lights up and a CATscan (CT) is really just a sophisticated Xray). She may just want to see if it lights up or not and if it does, is the lighted up part smaller.

Its a shame she didn't tell you why she was doing the PET. Good or bad, its better than waiting it out and speculating. However, it might really not be bad but just trying to distinguish necrosis versus tumor so she can really say if something is shrinking or not.

Bev
07-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Hi Vanessa, There have been times when a new test has been ordered where I've dreamed up dire reasons that have no basis in reality. The quickest resolution is to call onc and find out his reasoning. You might not like the answer but there's no reason for you to hang in limbo. I think sometimes they don't give us all the info to spare us anxiety, but for some of us, no info equals anxiety.

Best of luck, Bev

Vanessa
07-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all of the support. My doctor wanted to do a petscan initially, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it. They wanted me to do a catscan first. That is what has me scared, because I think the only way she could get my insurance to approve a petscan is if my catscan had some suspicions. Anyway, when they call me tomorrow to actually tell me when my petscan is approved, I will try to get more information. I was sure hoping to get a break from chemo. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.

Lolly
07-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Vanessa, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. The insurance game is so frustrating. It could be she has to "play" their game just to get the PET scan to comfirm shrinkage, not progression. I'm thinking positive, but I know how anxious this is making you. Let us know if you find anything out.

<3 Lolly

Belinda
07-31-2007, 04:55 AM
Good luck Vanessa. It is probably nothing - if they wanted a PET scan they may well just be looking for the tiniest unclear thing on the CT scan to play the insurance game and get you the best scans they can. Hoping it all turns out fine for you. Bxxx