PDA

View Full Version : Need reassurance

BonnieR
07-29-2007, 08:09 PM
I had my first dose of THC on Thursday. I did not feel too bad the following day but my discomfort has gotten progressivly worse. I am really having alot of pain in my legs, hands and arms. It even seems like my incision area hurts. Is painful to walk. It sure is beyond "flu-like symptoms"! Guess I am seeking reassurance that this too shall pass. But I worry that it is cumulative and will be more exaggerated with future treatments. Boy,this is not for sissies!!!
On a positive note, I did get out for a wig fitting before this got too bad..so I am set to go on that front....

Karen Weixel
07-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Bonnie,

Is the "T" of THC, Taxol or Taxotere? I Know for sure that Taxol causes (at least for me and the other women in my support group) horrible bone pain. I think Taxotere does too, however I didn"t have it so I am not sure. Also, Nulasta causes bone pain.

On the third day after my treatment I would take 4mg 2x a day of decadron and 1 Zyrtec. For some reason those two durgs really help. The NP I saw at my oncs office told me to treat my bone pain that way.

Talk to your doc and see what you can do. I could not have tolerated the bone pain for all four of my Taxol treatments; the Zyrtec and decadron (even though I hate it) really helped me.

Take care,
Karen

BonnieR
07-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Taxol. Thanks for the confirmation. That helps! I will talk to them tomorrow and see what I can do.

Mary Jo
07-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Just wanted to say "yes, this too shall pass"

Sending hugs to you,

Mary Jo

Sheila
07-30-2007, 05:21 AM
Bonnie
I have leg pain with the Taxol, although I am getting it weekly. I am like a contortionist at night trying to get pillows just right under my legs....they ache like I have run a marathon. It does seem to me that it is a cumulative effect, so if they are bothering you bad now, get something before the next treatment. Hope the next goes easier on you. I've hit my halfway mark, yipee!!!!!!!!!!!

MJo
07-30-2007, 05:55 AM
Keep going. You will get through this. Pamper yourself as much as you can, - I can't think of a better reason to pamper yourself than cancer treatment. As we say, "treatment ain't no walk in the park." But yes, this will pass!!

Joy
07-30-2007, 06:32 AM
and yes it sucks. I had bone pain with Taxotere several years ago and definitely some with Taxol and I can't stand neulasta. I found that l-glutamine capsules helped tremendously (cheap and available at any health food store).

But it does get better and I hope that is sooner rather than later.

BonnieR
07-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks everyone. I can't imagine how people have been able to continue working while undergoing treatment. We are moving this week and just making decisions and pointing to where things should go is exhausting me! My legs feel like they are buckling under me. Now I am getting nauseous. Do these symptoms stay for the entire course of treatment? Or do they receed and then return when you have another dose in 3 weeks?

Gerri
07-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Bonnie,

I was not on the THC combo but did receive Taxol every two weeks for four treatments. I worked the entire time during chemo except for every other Friday, my treatment day. Taxol was difficult and looking back now I wonder how I did it. I knew what to expect though and was prepared for my legs being numb up to my knees the Tuesday after treatment. This would subside by the end of the week and I would be good to go again the next time. Taxol can cause peripheral neuropathy (numbness and tingling in your hands and feet) and it takes quite some time for that to go away. I am more than a year out of chemo and still feel it a little bit in my toes. Having said all that, it is all doable. Just make sure you let your onc know what side effects you are experiencing so you can get the proper meds.

All the best to you as you start on your journey.

hutchibk
07-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Just dig in and grit your teeth. I remember that TCH got easier for me as time went on. I did it for 6 months. Are you getting it every 3 weeks? It should get easier, but be as healthy as you can. Nourish your body with good food. Take your vitamins, glutamine, etc. But don't take B Complex 24 hours prior or 5 days after an infusion. It can interfere with the action of the Taxol/Carbo...

tousled1
07-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Bonnie,

I completely sympathize with you as I just got my first Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin infustion on Friday. Other than being exhausted I felt pretty good Friday until around 11pm. I had terrible stomach cramps which a laxative took care of. I then got sick to my stomach but the Phenegram worked for that. I have the pain in the legs, hips, and arms. I had Taxatore previously and must admit it was worse than this. I try and keep moving and make sure that I take my Glucosamine/Chondroitin complex. I made it through Taxatore so I know that I can make it through the Taxol. Also, make sure you drink lots and lots of whatever tastes good to you. Very important to keep hydrated.

bhutchinson: Thanks for the info on the B Complex. I always take my B Complex because my counts drop and I wasn't aware that it could interfere with the Taxol/Carbo. Guess we'll put the B Complex on hold for now since I'm getting the Taxol/Carbo every week.

hutchibk
07-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Kate, you can take it, but just not during the protected zone... 24 hrs before or 5 days after. Or so my nutritional expert instructed me...

BonnieR
08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
hello again. have been computer-less as we moved this weekend. (Well, I did very little!) Ihave been in alot of pain but today was a turning point and I actually feel like a human being again! And I began a journal. I am an artist and have not been painting very much during this, so hopefully the journal will inspire me to at least do little sketchy things. I think I will bring my portable paints to treatment next time. I was there for 9 hours last week!!!
thank you all for the encouraging words. What a difference a day makes!

harrie
08-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Bonnie, did you receive Neupogen with your first treatment? I did not get any bone pain from the Taxotere, but I did with my bigger dose of neupogen. When I did, I took Advil, and ALL the bone aches went away. BTW, neupogen is used to boost the WBC count.
Maryanne

BonnieR
08-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I am embarrassed to say that I dont know what I received besides the THC. I undertstood there was some Benedry and that sort of thing but not any other drug in the IV. I did not receive any injections....
I am usually better about asking into things

harrie
08-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Bonnie, how long did your discomfort in your arms and legs last after your first treatment? Did you try taking ibuprofen for the discomfort?
Maryanne

Bev
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Bonnie, Check with Onc nurse. Mine told me to do B6 to prevent neuropathy. Worked.

Neulasta was painful. Only did it once.

Good luck. Bev

Cheryl44
08-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi Bonnie:

I just finished 12 weeks of Taxol/Herceptin. I had the joint pain, especially at night. My oncologist prescribed Vicodin to take just before going to bed. I know that it is a narcotic, and I don't like taking too much of that kind of thing, but it sure did help me to get a good nights sleep. Just stick with it. You will get through it. Hugs to you.

Cheryl