PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

Her2Sue
07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey Ladies,
I need advice! I am er+ pr totally negative Her2+. Diagnosed IDC Nov 20, 2006. I have just completed radiation yesterday. I had chemo first (completed April 4th), Lumpectomy May 1. Now I have to decide about Hormone therapy.
My issue is I was on Paxil for 10 yrs. I found out in March that Tamoxifen does not work with Paxil. I weaned down starting in April and took my last dose on July 9th. My Onc suggested after checking my blood work that shows I am (right now) in menopause, that I do Femera and we keep an eye on my blood work every 3 months. I am scared to death here! I am having panic attacks again!! I go to bed every night shaking!! My mind is continously spinning! I cry at least once a day! So as you can see I am going to have to get back on some type of antidepressant or something. I feel like I am losing my mind! Please if anyone can relate let me know! Somedays I feel like I am gonna end up in the nut house!
Thank you
Susan

Becky
07-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Don't go crazy yet! At least wait until you don't know that you are.

I am like you ER+ and PR-. To be sure, I had an oophorectomy (because I was 46 and although my bloodwork said I was postmenopausal, I ended up getting my period back alittle over 6 months after my last Taxol). I wanted to be on an AI (on Arimidex now) because there was no study that said if you were ER+ (only 50% for me) and PR neg that Tamoxifen did any good whatsoever.

Whatever you do - don't freak. My second opinion onc at Sloane Kettering said to do exactly what your onc is going to do - check the bloodwork every 3 months. Check estradiol, FSH and LH without fail. If you spike enough to be deemed "not in menopause" get Lupron or Zoladex shots (depending on your current age, you might want to do that anyway and then you "really" will be in menopause). Also, its NOT a big deal to come out of menopause (and then take the shots or get an oophorectomy). It is not dangerous to be exposed to estrogen for a couple of weeks (hence the frequent testing). It is what happens in the long term that matters more.

Ask any other questions you might have on this.

Have a nice weekend.

tousled1
07-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Sue,

Have you checked with your oncologist or primary care physician about the possibility of going on an antidepressant other than Paxil. You would have to be weaned off the Paxil before beginning a different antidepressant. After my son passed away in 2002 I started taking antidepressants and I switched 3 times. I stopped taking them shortly before my diagnosis with breast cancer and so far have not had to go back on them.

Her2Sue
07-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi Ladies,
I have been off of Paxil for 3 weeks and I am miserable. I can't sleep, shake all the time and so scared! Anxiety is very high! Now I am afraid I am gonna die from this anxiety! I see psych dr monday and I am gonna see if I can go back on Paxil at least to stabilize some! (I have been weaning since April)
I am not sure if what I am feeling is ALL from Paxil, or if some of it is from this cancer journey. I just don't know! It is frustrating. Do our hormones change from all of this? Could that be contributing to this time I am having?
Susan

Lolly
07-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Susan, I know that anxiety and stress levels sometimes increase when active treatment for bc is finished, which is strange but understandable. Now you're "done" doing what you can to fight the cancer, and it's an adjustment to find yourself again. Also, hormones being out of whack doesn't help.
Just try to take it one day at a time, and your psych doc should be able to make some suggestions for alternate temporary meds if Paxil is no longer appropriate.
I started an anti-depressant(Celexa) when I had recurrence, and have been on it for 7+ years. No bad side effects, just much easier to have a good day now :)
Hang in there and let us know how it goes Monday.

<3 Lolly

Bev
07-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi Susan, Zoloft works for me and was able to do it while on H and Tamox. Somehow I think Hormones and chemical imbalances cause anxiety and having BC sure doesn't help. Bev

Donna
07-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Hi Susan,

I personally swear by Effexor XR - tried EVERYTHING - before under different circumstances - and this is the one that works for me. I am taking Arimidex and Effexor and have no problems. The Effexor just takes the edge off so I have a shot at having a great day. Would Paxil be okay to take if you are not going on Tamoxifen, I wonder?

Also, are you sure you weaned off slow enough? If not, you can be left with fewer serotonin receptors or re-uptake sped up which would leave you worse than before you took them.

Careful going, living with anxiety is no life at all!

Best to You, Donna

Her2Sue
07-29-2007, 06:06 AM
I woke up this morning head is burning! Inside burning called psych dr who is monitoring me for stopping Paxil and Oncologist. Both told me to go to ER and have it checked, I am scared! Waiting for my Mother in law to come take me. Will post back when I know more. If this is nothing, I am going back on Paxil, to see if this goes away!
Susan

R.B.
07-29-2007, 07:48 AM
I must stress that you must talk to your advisor about diet if it is of interest.

Omega threes and particularly DHA and EPA are reported as being beneficial in a number of cognitive disorders including depression.

They can be included as part of a dietary regimen as an adjunct to treatment or on their own

The brain needs DHA and EPA to function properly. If you do not eat it one way or another you do not have it in your body. The body cannot make the mother omega three.

If you search using the above click on search etc you should find some posts.

Fish oil is the best source of long chain omega threes, 2grams a day of DHA is the level in a trial at which uptake dropped off. Please talk to you advisor as causes blood thinning which is an issue for some etc.

This is a useful book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Building-Nutrition-Physical-Emotional-Intelligence/dp/1583941819/ref=sr_1_28/202-3633901-7279059?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185720125&sr=1-28

If you need more please come back.

RB

Audrey
07-29-2007, 05:49 PM
(((Her2Sue)))--so sorry to read your latest post--I just wanted to share that I have been taking Paxil for about six years (since my bc diagnosis) to relieve anxiety and panic attacks. I recently thought that I no longer needed to be on Paxil, so I tried to wean myself off of it, but was so miserable--I kept having this "zapping" sensation in my head, like a shock and felt so bad that I decided to just keep on taking it, even though I don't really think I need it any more...I know how hard it is to try to get off of this drug--I hope you are able to switch to another anti-depressant that works well with your other bc drugs--just wanted you to know that I'm pulling for you and sending you my best wishes during this latest ordeal.

StillHere
07-30-2007, 02:43 PM
HER2SUE, I was on Zoloft before dx (low grade chronic depression) and changed to Effexor XR to try to calm hot flashes down abit. I can feel your anxiety right through the screen. Hope ER visit was beneficial and that you came home with some new amunition to fight off the shakes. I have also been on Tamoxifen for 1.5 yrs even though I never had a period after chemo. I tried Arimidex for 2 mos and discontinued due to QOL issues. I may try AI again w/ estring or estrogen cream.