PDA

View Full Version : Glutamine question

BonnieR
07-27-2007, 02:41 PM
My doc mentioned Glutamine to me yesterday as some of you said she would. But I dont understand her instructions. She said (wrote) to take 10 gm 3xday. I went to health food store and they pointed out that I would have to take 10 scoops each time (1000 mg each). It comes in 1000 mg tablets also, but again, I would have to take 10 at a time.
So what is your experience?? And do any of you take the tabs instead of the goop? Seems more convient. But everyone refers to the liquid....
Thanks!

hutchibk
07-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi Bonnie - I have taken Glutamine for a couple of years now. My instructions are to take one scoop of powder in a shot of fruit juice 3 x day. The scoop being the one that comes in the can of Glutamine powder...

BonnieR
07-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks Brenda! Is it helping ward off the symptoms?

hutchibk
07-28-2007, 08:44 AM
I definitely believe that it helped mitigate the numbness. I still had the neuropathy from Taxol, but I don't think it was as bad as could have been. It is also good for the intestinal tract, immune system, and helps the body continue to heal from all of the stuff we have to do to it on this journey. I have been really bad lately about taking it, but your post is a good reminder to me to get back to my regular routine...

tousled1
07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Bonnie,

I suffer from permanent neuropathy due to a lumbr spinal fusion. And now I expect it to get worse which my new treatment (Taxol/carboplatin). My neurologist recommended that I take Gluosamine Clondroitin which you can purchase in pill form over the counter at any drug store. It does help somewhat. I also took Neurontin which helped but I didn't like the side effects -- it was like having an out of body experience. Also, you might want to ask for a prescription for Lyrica which I have found helps a great deal. Good luck to you.

hutchibk
07-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I take (shellfish free) glucosamine hydrocloride too, for inherited weak knees. It is also very helpful.

Joy
07-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Hi, I took glutamine capsules which are cheaper and easier and had great success with it relieving bone pain during treatment with taxotere. Hope you find what works!

hutchibk
07-30-2007, 11:28 AM
My glutamine powder is by Jarrow and is 500mg per scoop. I don't think it's very expensive, and it lasts forever.