PDA

View Full Version : "OSCAR The Cat From R.I." Makes World News On 7/26/07

Believe51
07-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Girls I had to ask if anyone watched the World News last night!! We have a very special cat here in a nursing home in Rhode Island, there are several cats there but OSCAR is the star. For those of you that missed this 'Little Sweetie-Pie', he wonders the halls of the home and visits the patrons there. He lays on the bed with the people who are going to expire in 2-4 hours and keeps them company!! Now if it was once or twice I would say "Yeah Right", but Oscar has layed on the beds of 25 people that would have otherwise died alone. All of the patrons love his visits and again they do not die alone.

He has been reported to the national registers of Hospice, the Medical Journal and another agency of importance which name has escaped me at the moment. Who cares how he does this, whether it is his natural instinct or hormone release, the fact that he provides comfort amazes me. Now we all know what our animals provide for us when we are depressed or ill. My 'Momma's Boy' comes whenever I am sad or crying and now that hubby is ill, he bonds much more with him ('course Ed eats up Mookie's love-love).

Just thought I would share another inspirational animal story with my friends!!

OSCAR from Rhode Island is helping do some of God's work!!! Thank you Oscar for all of the wonderfull people that would have had to die alone!!! You are certainly our gift!!

Waiting For A Mircale....and commanding one soon>>Believe51

Sherryg683
07-27-2007, 01:00 PM
I think I might want to chase that cat out with a broom if I saw him coming to lay on my bed..lol. All kidding aside, my husband came into my room this morning with tears in his eyes, he saw the story this morning on TV. I just "googled" Oscar before I signed on here. He is such an adorable cat and totally amazing story. An angel in a furry suit. My dog Pete is kind of a grouch like Oscar, he's always at my side but doesn't like to be held or get too close. When I was diagnosed and through chemo, he was next to me the whole time, alway putting his head on my chest for me to pet him. He still will come up and sniff my breast. Whenever I get upset, he comes out of his stuck up shell and comes love on me and rubs on me. Animals do understand so much more than we give them credit for. I'd love to see Oscar for a day, but I dont think I'd like him hanging around too long..sherry

hutchibk
07-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I heard about Oscar yesterday and he is an amazing, gifted, spiritual angel cat. Just doing his job as God has charged him to do. I know that my cats would do the same for me. Definitely not anytime soon, mind you. I have been with three of my sweet angel cats the three times that I have had to make the decision to mercifully put an end to their suffering... I have held and hugged each one of them as they passed. K.C. and Suzie lived to be 21 years old each and their kidneys finally gave out, and one was my sweet PizzaPie who I had treated for bone cancer with radiation and chemo and was a feisty, fun-loving seven year survivor to the last minute. Sadly it spread to her liver and had I known what I know today, I would have had them try a different regimine or two... To this day, she is one of my biggest inspirations. It is such a beautifully spiritual and profoundly sad moment, but I wouldn't have it any other way, and I know Oscar wouldn't either.

Grace
07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
My first cat Rachel (we have a second Rachel now) always knew when I was depressed or sad and would sit on my lap for hours and purr. But when I was feeling great, she'd just stop by for the occasional pet but none of the lovey-dovey stuff. Cats have wonderful instincts, and are very loving, and I hate it when I hear anyone putting down cats in favor of dogs. They both make wonderful pets.

Brenda--have you started? I can be gum on a shoe too. There was an article in the New York Times a week ago noting that books on animals sell huge these days.

hutchibk
07-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Well hello gum on my shoe. I have been thinking alot, but not typing yet. Shhhh, don't tell my secret! As I learned a few years ago, the secret to success is the word "secret"!!

Colleen007
07-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Ever since I started chemo, my cat, Target, follows me around like never before. She sleeps with me, follows me to the bathroom, jumps up on the counter to watch me brush my teeth, etc. She knew right away something was not right. I now wonder if her over-protectiveness during my pregnancy was because she knew there was something else wrong with me.

hutchibk
07-27-2007, 03:16 PM
You know, there are stories of dogs (and cats) who can either "smell" or sense when people have cancer....

tricia keegan
07-27-2007, 03:36 PM
My daughter was just telling me about this before I logged on here,with six cats myself I know they all sensed when I was in treatments and certainly lifted my spirits and helped me remain positive during the bad times.
Well done Oscar!!!

MJo
07-30-2007, 06:02 AM
I am seriously allergic to cats, which is a pity because I adore them. I pamper my neighbor's cat Gracie with treats, but I can't let her too near me. A friend of mine had her dog in a veterinary clinical trial for cancer treatment. She claims that pet dogs and cats with cancer can participate in clinical trials before they start clinical trials on humans. Is that true? In that case, our furry friends are truly helping us.

sarah
07-30-2007, 08:53 AM
wouldn't it be nice if animals were allowed in more places. I mean if you're dying, what harm can a few dog or cat hairs do! so good for the RI place to allow a cat to console its dying and sick patients. When I came home from the hospital and was too ill to get around much my dog sleep calmly beside me and she's a border collie!!! it helped a lot. Of course so did my husband!
sarah

hutchibk
07-30-2007, 10:03 AM
MJo- when I treated my PizzaPie kitty with rads, she was benefitting from trials on other cats... trials that were designed to help humans! Her Onc used to be at MD Anderson and did trials using radiation on dogs and cats along the spinal cord area, as it had long thought that rads would destroy the spinal cord. He found safe doses that would work and not destroy the spinal cord. He loved working with animals so much that he became a veterinary oncologist! And he saved my cat's life, because her tumor was on the spinal column pressing on the cord, and if it hadn't been for him, she wouldn't have made it for the extra 5 years, as I had been told the year before at a University vet school that nothing could be done for her. I used to say that I took her to MD Anderpet Cancer Hospital. Actually it is called Gulf Coast Specialty Veterinary in Houston.

Believe51
03-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Had to bump this story up about our famous Oscar, this was the post I intially wanted to bump>>Believe51

goops
03-06-2008, 06:50 AM
I have seen news stories about Oscar - he is truly an amazing cat.