PDA

View Full Version : What is the "correct" time frame

Mary Anne in TX
07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
for getting a mamo. after surgery, treatment, etc.

I have yet to have one on side remaining, but have had lots of MRIs (full body) throughout the time. And they were always clear!

Still on herceptin for now.

Have tumor marker tests every 9 weeks before seeing onc. I had one last time in prep. for seeing him on Aug. 6. I'm working on my list of questions to ask, cause I'm thinking I won't be seeing him nearly so often anymore. Maybe I'm just doing some wishful thinking! ma

Becky
07-26-2007, 02:50 PM
I had a mammo for the first time in May 2005. I had surgery in Sept 2004. My radiation oncologist gave me the script so I just went. My surgeon was IRATE as she said it was too soon (from a comfort point of view only) since rads were only over 6 weeks prior. I think it is time to get one for you though.

Mary Anne in TX
07-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks a million, Becky! Do the MRIs not do the same thing? ma

LAURIE
07-26-2007, 07:35 PM
my surgeon wanted my first 6 weeks after rads. My oncologist thought I should wait and get them both done when my year was up, since my first one.

Becky
07-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Apparently, MRIs are not good at finding calcifications (but I say apparently because it HAD been said that they aren't good at finding DCIS and yet the newest study out says they are better at finding DCIS). I think every test has its merits and mammos should be used.

mts
07-27-2007, 05:23 AM
I have dense breasts and Mammos did not recognize my 3 tumors whereas the MRI did. Although the mammos don't "work" for me, my onc suggested I get them anyway since the scar tissue may mimic a tumor on MRI...
I get a mammo, ultrasound and breast MRI (for both breasts) once a year. And I started 3 months after radiation.

maria (MTS)

Sherryg683
07-27-2007, 01:06 PM
My Gyn told me no use for any more mammograms. Guess because I get PET/CT's every 3 to 4 months. Don't say that I will miss them. ..sherryg

Mary Anne in TX
07-28-2007, 01:26 AM
Thanks everyone. I think that I understand about the benefits of mamos compared to MRIs! I'll ask him if he can schedule me for all the tests on one day to get them over quickly. Again, thanks a million. mary anne