PDA

View Full Version : her+ ER- breast cancer cell line proliferatn decrsd by hops ingrdient:yes,as in beer

Lani
07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
effect felt to be due to AI activity even though this cell line is ER-

J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007 Jul 20; [Epub ahead of print]Links
Modulation of breast cancer cell survival by aromatase inhibiting hop (Humulus lupulus L.) flavonoids.

Monteiro R, Faria A, Azevedo I, Calhau C.
Department of Biochemistry (U38-FCT), Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, Alameda Prof. HernĂ¢ni Monteiro, 4200-319 Porto, Portugal; Faculty of Nutrition and Food Sciences, University of Porto, Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200-465 Porto, Portugal.
Hop flavonoids are being regarded as attractive molecules to prevent or treat certain forms of cancer. Studies have focused mainly on xanthohumol, the most abundant prenylated chalcone existing in hops extract. However, during the production of beer, or after its ingestion, xanthohumol originates different metabolites, among which isoxanthohumol and 8-prenylnaringenin. The aim of this work was to study the effect of the prenylflavonoids xanthohumol, isoxanthohumol and 8-prenylnaringenin on the breast cancer Sk-Br-3 cell line proliferation, apoptosis and activity of the enzyme aromatase (estrogen synthase). Aromatase activity was determined by a tritiated water assay, cell proliferation was assessed by [(3)H]thymidine incorporation, sulforhodamine B protein measurement and Ki-67 immunostaining and apoptosis was determined by TUNEL. Our results show that all tested prenylflavonoids were able to inhibit aromatase activity and thus, estrogen formation. Additionally, breast cancer cell line proliferation was decreased and apoptosis induced by all three compounds. The presence of 17beta-estradiol in treatment medium was able to revert the effect of the prenylflavonoids on cellular proliferation. These observations strengthen the idea that hop flavonoids may have anti-breast cancer effects and shed new light on a possible mechanism of action by which these effects occur, namely through their ability to decrease estrogen synthesis.
PMID: 17643984 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

fauxgypsy
07-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I haven't had a beer since I was diagnosed. A good cold beer would be much preferable to chemo. Think it would be a good excuse?

Leslie

Hopeful
07-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Based on Lani's two posts, I say go for a beer with a carrot juice chaser! ;)

Hopeful

KellyA
07-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Geez, this is just what my hubby wants to hear- he's been trying to convert me to beer for years.......I guess I could handle a Corona or two..... :-)

Love, Kelly

Mary Jo
07-25-2007, 02:14 PM
I love beer and me and hubby have been sitting on the porch OFTEN this summer having one or twohttp://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif I should be one healthy lady, huh????????????????????????

Cheers,

Mary Jo

chrisy
07-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Oh oh --- now I'll have to alternate between beer for the AI and wine for the polyphenols!

Finally, some GOOD news!