PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin/Tykerb/Xeloda?

LauraP
07-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi,

My name is Laura. I have not posted on the site much, but I use it quite a bit to gain knowledge from you all. I have been on herceptin for two years and my onc thinks it is working to stave off my cancer. However, most recently, they have determined (through PET scan)that two nodules on my lungs are cancerous. They want to keep me on herceptin, but are also considering putting me on tykerb with xeloda before any surgery. I had a tumor on my liver two years ago and my liver has been clean ever since. I do believe that herceptin has kept these tumors a manageable size (approx 1cm each), but I understand the nature of this chronic disease.

I read the thread about tykerb and xeloda, but was just curious if there are any more insights you all might have regarding these meds coupled with herceptin. I will do my own research, but even if you could help me know what questions to pursue...I would greatly appreciate it!

Blessings,

Laura

SoCalGal
07-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I asked my onc about adding herceptin to tykerb and he said there was no data to support that. He said that they think tykerb is a better drug than herceptin and it should work better than herceptin and there is really no reason to add herceptin to tykerb. Just giving you info - I don't know if I agree with him. Many oncs are giving both to be safe...I might ask mine to add it in after I start my new combo.

awjkej
08-06-2007, 01:06 PM
I asked my onc about herceptin and tykerb being given together, b/c intuitively it makes sense - one hits the tumor from the outside and one hits it from the inside. He told me that yes it does make sense on paper, but that the data isn't there yet, and he wants to wait til they know nore about the toxicity of the two drugs given together.

Is there anyone who is currently on both????

Anne

Esther
08-07-2007, 01:38 AM
I have been wondering about this as well. Herceptin was very good to me for 3 1/2 years, and there are currently trials being conducted to see if the combination of Herceptin/Tykerb have synergistic effects together.

There is no concrete data on it, but I'm thinking of asking my onc about putting me back on Herceptin as well.

If there was toxicity, we should be able to stop the Herceptin, I would think? I was initially on Herceptin/Tykerb/Xeloda for the first 6 weeks that I was on Tykerb, and did not notice any increased side effects. My onc took me off Herceptin, for the same cautious reasons other onc's have given. My CA 27-29 plunged 300 points in the first 3 weeks I was on that combination.

Rupali
08-07-2007, 06:45 AM
I think a good approach might be to have a dose of herceptin once every 3 months and have Tykerb regularly. As Herceptin stays in the system for at least 18 weeks so this would help to make use of the synergestic effect as well reduce the toxicity.
I proposed this to my onc and he thinks this might be a good idea.

doh2pa
08-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Looks like many of us are in the same boat. I am on Tykerb/Xeloda and talked to my onc about going back on herceptin too. Although I had no side effects on herceptin, he is concerned about the combined cardiac risk for herceptin/tykerb. He said this is being studied and is hoping some data will get presented at the big cancer meeting is December (is that ASCO??). So we are in a holding pattern.

So glad you started this thread. Would love to hear from anyone's onc who is letting them take the plunge!

Donna

Rupali
08-07-2007, 09:01 AM
There is a big clinical trial called ALTTO which is starting in which they wil give both Tykerb and Herceptin together.