PDA

View Full Version : Xeloda for second time with Tykerb?

Mona
07-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Hi all:

Is anyone on Xeloda for the second time only this time in connection with Tykerb? I am currently on Tykerb/Abraxane (5 wks) and it doesn't seem to be working. I asked the onc about combining it with Xeloda and he said that is only if one hasn't been on Xeloda in the past. I thought there were ladies who had been on it previously to combining it with Tykerb.

I have extensive mets and now lumps in the neck. I have been on numerous chemos (Taxol, carbo, gemzar, navelbine, Xeloda etc.) and am getting low on options. He said we'll give this another 3 weeks and then get a Pet scan. I would love to have some info and details to show him on my next visit. I think it is about a year since I had Xeloda. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated so much. I think I am his first patient on Tykerb and would love to be able to indicate that you can go back on Xeloda if that is one of the treatments available. And, like Mike, I would like to know of any other combos with Tykerb that might be out there.

Thanks for your help.

Mona

Joy
07-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I am a xeloda 2-timer. When I was first diagnosed with terrible liver mets, possible lung mets I did xeloda, taxotere and herceptin and had great response. That was five years ago. Now I am on xeloda/tykerb and we think it is working. We will know more at the end of the month and i will definitely post the results whatever they may be. My oncologist whom/who (?) I like and trust very much (and I am a questioner/researcher) said that the "rule" is you can repeat chemos (again choosing them is an art) after approximately 2 years. Now, of course, will they work? Yes, sometimes they do and do quite well. As with any cancer treatment there are regimens that work and don't work depending on the individual.

Also, when i stopped xeloda/taxotere after 9 months because the tumors were eliminated or tiny and I went to a hormonal treatment it was determined that I had not grown resistant, we just stopped. So I think that can be factor, too.

I hope others respond to yur post and encourage you in your treatment decisions. A second opinion is always a healthy, responsible thing and the internet can provide you with studies regarding sequencing of treatments.

Please let us know what you find out and how you are doing and know we are thinking of you.

Esther
07-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Mona, in 2004 when I was diagnosed with liver and bone mets I was on Xeloda and Herceptin. I stopped the Xeloda after 14 months because the bones mets were NED and the liver tumors were almost gone and I needed a chemo break.

The liver tumors cleared up within 2 additional months on Herceptin alone.

I am now back on Xeloda, in combination with Tykerb. As Joy points out, the reason Xeloda is discontinues may be a factor in whether it is a viable option for a second time.

However, I can't imagine it would hurt to try it again, just in case the combination of T/X somehow has a different synergy and you get some additional benefit from it.

Perhaps you can discuss it with your onc and see if giving it a try for a few months might make sense, if you have the time to wait and see if it might work for you.

Mona
07-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Dear Joy and Esther

Thanks for your input regarding Xeloda for the 2nd time. I'll pass the info on at my next visit depending on what the onc says about my status. I'm hoping for more of a response to the Ty/Abrax by then.

Thanks again for your help.

Mona