PDA

View Full Version : tykerb/xeloda update

Joy
07-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Hi gang, just wanted to share that-I GOT THE TYKERB RASH! While on my vacation I started breaking out on my chest and face like a teenager. I'm trying to be excited about that, but I'm really self-conscious. I am getting a handle on it now though and being back in an insanely DRY climate vs. the pleasantly more humid one, had probably helped a bit too.

I have my first scan on this tx on July 20th, i think. But, I did ask about my last couple of chemistry panels-which I stopped monitoring obsessively a while ago. I found out a) my alk phos got pretty damn high awhile back b) ALT/AST values quite a bit outside of the normal range AND c) as of last weeks blood draw the ALT/AST are almost normal and the alk phos is plummeting. I ask the NP if this was possibly a direct result of reduction of tumor burden and she said confidently yes. Between that and the rash we feel pretty good about things. The CT will of course, I'm trying to think, will confirm goodness.

I have some transient mouth sores-in the same places I had stubborn mouth sores on xeloda/taxotere/hercepitn 5 years ago! I have hand foot stuff that is bothersome, but tolerable. Although, I've been complaining some and I need to stop that.

Soooo, i hope I'm joining the ranks of the t/x successes. And I want to thank all of you for posting your results of this whether good or not so much.

loves, me

Esther
07-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Woohoo Joy! That is great to hear. It does sound like you are responding very well to the T/X. The rash does go away eventually, mine started to lessen on my face after about 6 LONG self conscious weeks.

The rash on my arm cleared up more quickly. Ask your onc for a lotion to help heal the rash.

I guess we are all becoming charter members of the Tykerb Divas.

Lolly
07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah!!! Like Esther, my rash started to clear up after 6 weeks. I occasionally have a minor outbreak still, but it's just a couple of dots, nothing compared to the first.

I'm happy for you!

hutchibk
07-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Ok, now I wonder about my rash... it only lasted about 2 1/2 weeks right after I started Tykerb. And it wasn't dots or pimple like, it was red scaley dry patches on my cheeks.
Should I have gotten more of a rash that lasted longer like all of you did?

doh2pa
07-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Brenda,

I did not get a rash at all and after 6 weeks on this combo my liver enzymes returned to normal and my CAT scan showed fabulous results. So don't sweat the "no rash" - my onc says that side effects have no relation whatsoever to results.

Donna

hutchibk
07-08-2007, 11:52 AM
whew, thanks Donna!! It's weird to actually start wishing for side effects, LOL.