PDA

View Full Version : Gums hurting

SoCalGal
06-12-2007, 01:56 PM
My front bottom teeth/gums are hurting. Feels sensitive in general and was really sensitive to heat.

This is a new symptom. Anyone feeling this?

Flori

hutchibk
06-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi Flori - mine have started to get sensitive, too. Just part of the package I guess. Nothing I can't handle.

Odette
06-14-2007, 06:46 PM
I attribute my mouth sores to the Xeloda not to Tykerb. I had a pretty bad sore on the roof of my mouth which seemed to get worse on my second week on Xeloda, recovered on my week off, another area got bad on the second week of Xeloda again.

Just hope it does not get worse than this. I had a lot of troubles with mouth sores on A/C.

Enjoy graduation Flori!

Odette

Bev
06-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

The pain I thought was mouth sores I couldn't see, were my gums rotting.

Since AC, I've had to have a graft where my gums became infected and shrank to nothing and I have a 1.2 cm pocket develop between 2 other teeth.

When I first had these problems and suggested chemo as the source, the thought was dismissed as there is no Science to back this up.

Last week, the Periodontist had a light bulb go off. My problems may be due to Chemotherapy as I have excellent care and hygiene.

So get your Oncs permission to see a Periodontist now. BB

harrie
06-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Wow, that is very interesting... the periodontal problem. I am a dental hygienist and I have not heard of this before. I am familiar with the mouth sores and for that I recommend any toothpaste without the sodium laurel sulfate which is the foaming agent. This can encourage canker sores. Rembrandt toothpaste for canker sore sufferers or Biotene is good. If you do not like the flavor of these toothpastes, just dip your toothbrush in Crest Pro Health mouthrinse and brush with that.

harrie

SoCalGal
06-15-2007, 08:09 AM
My teeth really suffered after treatment each time but the biggest effect was any time I did radiation. I thought it was common knowledge that radiation caused receding gums. The dentist said I had bone loss on my front tooth and there was no decay or infection the pain was from grinding. He slightly filed them down. I imagined that it looked horrible but you can't even tell. It's feeling better so for that I'm very grateful.

Today is my daughter's high school graduation. I am skipping all chemo so I can get through the 3 hours and not feel sick.

The porta-potty just doesn't seem like a good match for a diarrhea diva.

xo Flori

harrie
06-15-2007, 10:29 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think radiation can cause immediate recession unless it is radiated directly in that area, then maybe but I never heard of it. While stressed it is not uncommon to clench. For me, I do not normally clench, but did so during chemo and also prior to chemo when I was undergoing my other medical treatments. Clenching can cause teeth to be very sensitive and long term clenching can cause some recession as well as pain and mobility of the teeth that are stressed.
harrie

Susan M(PA)
06-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Chemo definitely can weaken the teeth and gums.
I noticed it most on Navelbine and Herceptin, my teeth actually
loosened for a while, also had mouth ulcers and sore
gums with all chemos, Adramycin/Taxotere, Herceptin and Navelbine.
One tooth broke off eating a tuna fish sandwich. I had five cavities
in one visit. I usually have one or two, if any.
I was given a fluoride scrip by my dentist, to slow down the damage,
not sure I want to fill it.

Susan M (PA)

R.B.
06-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Ooh poor Susan.

Issues with teeth is not good.

Have you looked at the omega three six posts on the main HER 2 discussion board. If you have not found it you ca search clicking on the search above - I only mention it as it took me a while to realise it was there.

I have seen several references to DHA reducing periodontal problems / assisting reverse bone loss.

I have long asked if Herceptin intervenes in the processes we use to make long chain fats. It is reported as impacting on that area. I do not know the answer.

Here is one

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17916258

Titre du document / Document title
Omega-3 fatty acid effect on alveolar bone loss in rats
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
KESAVALU L. ; VASUDEVAN B. ; RAGHU B. ; BROWNING E. ; DAWSON D. ; NOVAK J. M. ; CORRELL M. C. ; STEFFEN M. J. ; BHATTACHARYA A. ; FERNANDES G. ; EBERSOLE J. L. ;

ABSTRACT

"Rats on the ω-3 FA diet exhibited elevated serum levels of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), documenting diet-induced changes. PCR analyses demonstrated that rats were orally colonized by P. gingivalis; increased IgG antibody levels substantiated this infection. P. gingivalis-infected rats treated with w-3 FA had significantly less alveolar bone resorption. These results demonstrated the effectiveness of an ω-3 FA-supplemented diet in modulating alveolar bone resorption following P. gingivalis infection, and supported that ω-3 FA may be a useful adjunct in the treatment of periodontal disease. Abbreviations: PUFA, polyunsaturated fatty acid; EPA, eicosapentanoic acid; DHA, docosahexanoic acid; and PCR, polymerase chain-reaction."

and another

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=PubMed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=8720373&ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

R.B.
06-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Ooh poor Susan.

Issues with teeth is not good.

Have you looked at the omega three six posts on the main HER 2 discussion board. If you have not found it you ca search clicking on the search above - I only mention it as it took me a while to realise it was there.

I have seen several references to DHA reducing periodontal problems / assisting reverse bone loss.

I have long asked if Herceptin intervenes in the processes we use to make long chain fats. It is reported as impacting on that area. I do not know the answer.

Please discuss dietary change with your doctor.

Here is one

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17916258

Titre du document / Document title
Omega-3 fatty acid effect on alveolar bone loss in rats
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
KESAVALU L. ; VASUDEVAN B. ; RAGHU B. ; BROWNING E. ; DAWSON D. ; NOVAK J. M. ; CORRELL M. C. ; STEFFEN M. J. ; BHATTACHARYA A. ; FERNANDES G. ; EBERSOLE J. L. ;

ABSTRACT

"Rats on the ω-3 FA diet exhibited elevated serum levels of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), documenting diet-induced changes. PCR analyses demonstrated that rats were orally colonized by P. gingivalis; increased IgG antibody levels substantiated this infection. P. gingivalis-infected rats treated with w-3 FA had significantly less alveolar bone resorption. These results demonstrated the effectiveness of an ω-3 FA-supplemented diet in modulating alveolar bone resorption following P. gingivalis infection, and supported that ω-3 FA may be a useful adjunct in the treatment of periodontal disease. Abbreviations: PUFA, polyunsaturated fatty acid; EPA, eicosapentanoic acid; DHA, docosahexanoic acid; and PCR, polymerase chain-reaction."

and another

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=PubMed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=8720373&ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

SoCalGal
06-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Thanks - I can't wait to show it to my dentist.
Flori (proud wearer of a night guard)