PDA

View Full Version : Update on Tykerb/Avastin - Good scan

chrisy
06-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Hello friends,
I just had my 6 week scan (Pet/CT) and the results are NO new little nasties and the 2 lesions in my liver are EXACTLY stable. Dr. Rugo called that a "GOOD SCAN" and although I would have loved to have had it all miraculously disappear, I am happy to say it looks like the Tykerb/Avastin has the CANCER STOPPED DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS!

Considering that it is not chemo, Dr. Rugo said she thought it was early to expect shrinkage as the lesions have a structure of their own. As a very wise person once told me, if your oncologist is happy, you should be happy! So I will continue on the trial, next scans will be in another 6 weeks. I'll be hoping for even better news then.

For those interested in side effects, I pretty much sat there saying, "nope, nope, nope..." to the list of various symptoms attributable to these agents. This combination is very tolerable.

I have a pattern of, well, needing to be near a bathroom 1.25 hours after taking the Tykerb, but then that's it usually. Lucky for me there's a nice rest stop in exactly the right location on my 1 1/2 hour drive to UCSF!

The pimply rash I had at first is no more, and the main concern now is to watch my blood pressure, as Avastin can elevate this. I monitor it daily (ok, sometimes I obsess and monitor it every 10 minutes) and so far it is not in the danger zone although it does spike in the am. Who knows, maybe it always did this!

One more thing, as I told you earlier, I was number 6 of 6 in this trial at UCSF, but they have now been approved for 15 - so come on in, the water's fine!

Much love
Chris

Mary Jo
06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Chrissy,
I'm so happy for you. What wonderful news.

Hugs from me to you,

Mary Jo

Carolyns
06-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Chrisy,

That is great news. We LOVE good scans and answers of nope, nope, and nope to side effects. No more pimples? Who knew we would have pimples again?...more good news.

What will you do to celebrate?

Thanks for sharing your good news!

Carolyn

chrisy
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Carolyn - oooh. You've just exposed how lame and uninteresting my life is LOL!

I guess the celebration has already started - first I celebrated by going up to get my Avastin infusion - since I can still be in the trial! I was lucky enough to be sitting next to a great lady who I have met before, she is a mets fighter turned inspirational speaker and "Oncological Celebrity" - her daughter gave her business cards that say that. She is a force of nature - I wish I could hang out with her and have some of that rub off on me!

Then I went back to work, came home and made dinner, and made EXCITING plans for the weekend which include planting late tomatoes and painting the house.

Like I said, I think my celebration rituals need some work - thanks for the inspiration!

When all else fails, sitting with my hubby having a nice glass of wine (as I'm doing right now!) will do in a pinch! And will get the creative-celebration juices flowing!

Take care
Chris

Andi
06-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Chrissy -Great news! I'm glad the combo is working for you, Best of luck in keeping your bp down.

Mary Anne in TX
06-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Way to Go, Chris!

And I'm believing that a remarkable celebration idea will pop into your head!
You deserve a big hooray!
mary anne

IRENE FROM TAMPA
06-08-2007, 07:33 AM
I Am So Happy For You My Friend. This Gives Great Inspiration To The Rest Of Us. I Am Myself Looking At That Combo Should I Start Failing On The Tykerb/xeloda Combo.

I Am Happy To Hear That You Are Not Having Any Bad Side Effects. I Was Worried About The Avastin Side Effects And I Guess You Get To Keep Your Hair With That One Huh?

You Take Care And Keep Up The Good Work. Keep Me Posted Please. I Will Be Rescanned The End Of June And We Will See What Is Happening Inside.

Heh And I Say, Celebrating Is Doing What Makes You Happy And Planting Tomatoes And Gardening Is A Joy Of Mine Also.

Have A Great Day

Carolyns
06-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Hi Chrisy,

Okay, I am right with you. I LOVE my tomato plan and pulling weeds. I work on both whether I am sad or happy. Notice I say tomato plant - I only can get one to live. I am not much for "special" celebrations although I will tell you that when my Tykerb arrived I set up a shrine with candles and prayed around it - nutty huh?

I hope that you have a great weekend and enjoy your painting, planting and good wine with you husband!

Love, hope, and peace,

Carolyn

Joy
06-08-2007, 09:05 AM
STOPPED DEAD IN THE TRACKS is good! It is the step before RETREAT! I'm happy to hear the news and will continue to hope for no side effects but hard core EFFECTS. I appreciated what you shared about the fact that these are not chemo drugs and therefore the process is different. It is a good sign, too, I think that the approval came for 15 in the study.

You know what I else I hope for, Chrisy, big, juicy, deliciousy tomatoes!

Keep up the great work!

Adriana Mangus
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Dear Chrisy:Congrats! I'm looking at that combo myself but not until I become 100% resistant to Herceptin. I'm happy for you.

Sending you positive vibes and a Big HUG, now go and do something fun!!!!

Lolly
06-08-2007, 06:03 PM
"THE CANCER STOPPED DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS"!!! Music to my ears, Chris, you keep it up!

<3 Lolly

tousled1
06-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Chrisy,

That's great news! Sure is encouraging news for all the other women who are or may need to use this combo.