PDA

View Full Version : Tykerb and Xeloda supplement info

hutchibk
05-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi ladies - I consulted with my cancer specific naturopaths today. Got my new plan since I am on a new protocol.

I thought I would share some helpful info that I learned today. This is a plan that is specific to me since they know me and my treatments so far, so I fall short of recommending it for anyone else. But, there is some info that you all might find helpful.

They asked me to stop my multi-vitamin and B-complex while on Xeloda. They have seen reasearch that suggests that the folic acid in multi's and complexes can possibly worsen some of the Xeloda side effects. (I don't know which ones)

They switched me to 50 mg a day of B-6 alone, to help ward off hand foot syndrome.

As far as Magnesium deficiencies that might be caused by the "nib" monoclonal antibodies (although, currently Lapitinib is not thought to be as destructive to magnesium as the ones used for colorectal cancers), they feel that I get enough magnesium in the calcium/magnesium supplement that I take.

They offered that probiotics were not the most efficient way to go with diarrhea from Tykerb. The action of probiotics is more specific to bacterial imbalances, which this side effect isn't. They suggested that if I suffer with diarrhea from Tykerb, that I try Bentonite Clay (1 tblsp in juice, water or apple sauce, if needed for diarrhea, up to twice a day, if needed) as it has highly absorptive factors and regulates the intestines. Also, in lieu of that, they also suggested Carob powder, which is supposed to work in a similar way. (same type of dose if needed)

They asked me to try not to use immodium on a regular basis, as it's not good to stop and start and stop and start the digestive system/intestines/colon like that.

I also learned that Zofran (for nausea) has side effects of constipation and headaches, so I am glad that I won't have to rely on it too much since I seem to not get nausea from Xeloda.

So, they want me taking B-6, mineral supplements, digestive enzymes, calcium/magnesium, essential fatty acids, glutamine (for neuropathy), and glucosamine (for stiff joints).

Hope this helps a little for those who might be interested!

eric
05-09-2007, 05:11 AM
Thanks so much for sharing! Caryn's been having issues with serious dryness on her feet and we'll try the B-6.

Thank you,
Eric

Joy
05-09-2007, 08:11 AM
It is so nice of you to share this information as it sounds like you have such a good resource in your corner. I'm keeping this post handy as I begin tykerb-xeloda.