PDA

View Full Version : Tykerb/Xeloda maxed out my ins

hutchibk
04-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Well, I was meant to start Xeloda today and Tykerb next week when it arrives. The pharmacist told me today when I showed up that my co-pay was going to be over $2000 - since this one script had maxed out my prescription benefit for the year on my ins. YIKES! I am fairly naive about a lot of the insurance stuff, so I assumed that chemo was covered as it always had been in the past. Not so for oral chemo, I learned today. Oral chemo is considered prescription and I have a cap on my yearly prescription benefit. (which I know about and is adequate for normal prescription needs).

So - called the cancer clinic and the patient assistance person is now feverishly working on applying me for free prescription assistance. Might take a couple of days to get it all processed. What a surprise and a pain to wake up to, but thank goodness there is a solution. I hope I don't need any other meds the rest of the year through my regular prescription program (i.e. zofran, etc...) or, if I do, I hope I can get samples...

Odette
04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi Brenda,

sorry to hear your troubles with the T/X oral chemo.
I'm having the same problems. My insurance does not even want to pay for any of it since it is not a generic. Once they even agreed to it then they revoked it.

I'm trying to get Tykerb through www.commitmentToAccess.com and Xeloda through Roche Pharmaceuticals 1-888-587-9438. I just called them today they are sending me the forms to fill out.
I'm fortunate that I have a very nice social worker as my patient advocate. She has to do some of the calling and enrolling me in the programs.

Let me know how is everything working out for you.

Best wishes,

Odette

hutchibk
05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks Odette - yep, sounds like what I am in the middle of today. The patient assistance person has contacted Roche and McKesson (tykerb pharmacy) for the paperwork and applications... I have to take her some back-up paperwork today and sign stuff and it should be in process today.

Thank goodness.