PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin allergy

Vanessa
04-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Has anyone ever developed an allergy to Herceptin. My last treatment, I began to get itchyer and redder than usual. I am so worried about not being able to continue taking Herceptin. The nurse ended up giving me a little extra Benadryl.

janet11
04-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Hey Vanessa, good luck with this not progressing any "allergicer" (how's THAT for a "texas-ism" (*laugh*).

I've been lucky with my Herceptin in that we've even discontinued using the Benedryl as a pre-med. I haven't had ANY allergic reaction to the Herceptin. (Now if my next MUGA scan doesn't go any lower, I'll be good to continue).

How long have you been getting the Herceptin? Have you always had a minor allergic reaction to it or have you been fine until now?

Janet

MJo
04-25-2007, 02:08 PM
I am asthmatic and allergic to everything. I'm also one of the people who scares herself silly reading everything about treatment. I read that mouse protein is involved in the manufacture of herceptin and that people with mouse allergies can get allergic reactions. So I had my allergist test do a test on me for allergy to mouse proteins. Not allergic, and I had no trouble with Herceptin. So although I didn't have the allergy, I sure was aware of the possiblity. I am sure there are lots of things you can do about your mild reaction. I read of several people who added an allergist to their treatment team to continue taking Herceptin. But it's very possible that you'll never progress beyond the itchy red stage. Extra Benadryl is a good start. One of my reactions to Herceptin was a cough. I'd start coughing about 30 minutes into the infusion. Never progressed to anything worse. I called it the Herceptin cough and darned if it didn't go away a few weeks after treatment ended.

Margerie
04-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Did I read somewhere here that they usually mix herceptin with some kind of solvent for the infusion and that some people react to the solvent? I think they can mix it with saline instead.

Vanessa
04-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I think the nurse also stated that they may have me take a dexamethasone the morning before treatment in addition to the Benadryl. I will also talk to them about the solvent. Thanks for all of your input.