PDA

View Full Version : Sciatic nerve aching -- can it be breast cancer related?

CLTann
03-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I know most likely I don't have cancer related cause to worry about my recent leg and lower back pain, typical of sciatic nerve from vertebrae. The pain is more pronounced if I cough or stretch to bend down on one side. The pain is never there when I sleep. Sitting position makes the pain worse. Still, like many of us in this group, I worry about whether there is a possible linkage. Do any of you have the sciatic nerve pain/discomfort and later found the problem was indeed bc related? Perhaps I should ask for a MRI of my spinal bone just to be on the safe side? Thanks for your input.

Lolly
03-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Ann,
I always apply the "2 week" rule; if something is a pain or worry for 2 weeks, then I bring it to my onc's attention. It's always better to get things checked out instead of worrying, even if you feel you're being a worrywort!
Let us know how it goes.

<3 Lolly

heblaj01
03-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Ann,

I agree with Lolly. Anyway pain whose intensity varies greatly with position is in most cases related to either muscle, joint or disc but not to cancer.
If it is a disc issue the usual home remedies will help such as heat on the back, bending one knee at a time toward the chest while laying flat etc..

MJo
03-04-2007, 08:12 AM
My spine lit up on my CAT scan (good thing I didn't see it). It was arthritis. I have ache in lower right back going into my hip and spot of pain above my right knee on inner thigh. Resting helps. I think it's sciatic. (I had lowest disc removed 20 years ago) After dealing with cancer, nobody wants to deal with herniated discs, but it happens. I agree with other ladies though -- take no chances. Tell your onc about it.

tricia keegan
03-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Maybe this is from Femara??

I have had similar pain but in bed too and Arimdex was the culprit
but I did get a bone scan when I had it longer than two weeks which
came back fine.
Tricia

saleboat
03-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I've had this exact same thing for a while now-- I was freaking out and all of you nice ladies on the boards calmed me down. I have some sort of sciatica, which once I did some yoga and had a massage, went away (after having numbed my leg for a day). My Onc offered to send me for a scan of my lower back and given that I could address the pain myself, I had NO interest in going through a test, and all of the attendant worry, etc.

It flares every once in a while, and feels better the more active I am.

Good luck.

Jen

CLTann
03-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Following many of your kind advices, I requested to have bone scan and MRI on lumbar and pelvic areas done. Just got the results back, all negative on any cancer presence. Thanks all. Happy ending, the sciatica nerve is probably the reason for my pain and discomfort. Of course, the Femera may be the other possible culprit.

Ann

sassy
03-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Great News!! May all our scans be clear.
________
Vaporizer review (http://vaporizers.tv/)

Bev
03-09-2007, 10:09 PM
So glad all is well. Had similiar pain 1- 1/2 years ago. Onc said it was likely nothing if it wasn't 24/7. The pain would hang around for a few weeks, go away, and then come back. I decided to do nothing, but the decision caused some stress.

You did the right thing. Now you have peace of mind to enjoy NED. Hope all scans continue to be as rosy. Bev

Shirl
01-10-2012, 10:27 AM
After 2 years on Arimidex I am losing my hair and Have intense sciatica pain. I made the decision to go off of it, since the quality of life stinks. I have been off one week and Sciatica pain is all but gone. It did start shortly after starting arimidex. Since it does affect the bones I know it is responsible for the pain I had.

Catherine
01-12-2012, 12:20 AM
If movement and excerise help with sciatic, you might learn how to do something I learned in yoga class. The stretching position is called the pigeon pose...I think. Whatever the name is, it helps me. I do not mean to down play anything that is more serious, but I do want to share that yoga helps me with all aches and pains.

Happy New Year!

KsGal
01-12-2012, 01:53 AM
So glad it was not cancer related. Hopefully with that all cleared up you will be able to develop a plan either with medication change, yoga or what have you to get that under control. Congratulations and big hugs to you.

Shirl
01-12-2012, 08:02 AM
After being off of Arimidex, the sciatic pain I was having is gone and all the other bone pain is subsiding. I am also starting to be able to sleep at night. I have decided quality of life is important and not worth the pain of the small chance of recurrence Arimidex gives. I did have double mastectomy. Thanks