PDA

View Full Version : My 6 weeks update on Tykerb/Xeloda!

Sandy H
10-09-2006, 07:32 PM
I had my 6 weeks follow up with my oncologist and he was very excited when he looked at my chest. It is clear with no itching or burning. I am feeling well! I do have bouts of diarrhea when I am on the Xeloda but it is tolerable or at least so far. I had a few mouth sores the last 3 weeks they are gone this week(my 7 day break). I also have a crack on both thumbs but they are almost healed. I do use lots of hand lotion, wrap my thumbs during the day with ointment and bandaids, wear rubber gloves if I need to have my hands in water, wear cotton gloves outside as it is fall here and getting cool. I rinse my mouth with baking soda frequently, brush my teeth, stay away from acidic or spicy foods while on the Xeloda. Once I get it all down to a science I will be find. My wish for each one of you on this treatment is that it will work as well for you as it has for me. The nice thing is I am finally getting hair!! Its been a long time since I have enjoyed my own hair but oh what it does for our well being! Some call it vain I call it a woman's crowning beauty! Of course, I have enjoyed all my wigs and I have many but I am always ready to retire them. hugs, Sandy

chrisy
10-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Sandy, thanks for keeping us updated. I'm SOOOO delighted this is continuing to work well, and especially that you are getting the side effects "dialed". Getting your hair back will really be nice, you've been waiting a long time for that!

Keep up the good work

lindaw
10-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Dear sandy

I am so pleased for you.Its so exciting to get hair back - i agree. Keep us posted.

love
linda

IRENE FROM TAMPA
10-10-2006, 04:56 AM
I was so excited to hear your good news. So glad this is working for you and encouraging for others. Hopefully Food & Drug will get this drug pushed through quickly so everyone can try it.

I know what you mean about the hair - I am to the mini mini mini do but I have already put away my wigs for a while unless I have a special function to attend.
It feels soooooo good.

Keep us posted on your progress Sandy.

Note: I just finished my third cycle of the Xeloda. It's good to get that week
break in between isn't it? My thumbs are also cracked and wow you
would not believe such little cracks could cause such pain. My feet
look fine but they are starting to burn. I am fighting one mouth sore
but all tolerable. Hopefully this week break will resolve it all a bit.

Take care Sandy

al from Canada
10-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Thay's great Sandy. Xeloda is an excellent drug.......but don't forget that the dosages used in the original trials were too high and later studies have shown that much lower dosages are just as effective. Because it is a daily dosing, more isn't necessarily better. If the side effects become uncomfortable, talk to the doctor about dose reduction.

Cheers,
Al

Lolly
10-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Really great news Sandy! I'm so happy for you, and also for all who are watching your progress on Tykerb, it brings much hope to all. Ditto on Al's mention of "less is more" re Xeloda. Also, when you have a smaller dose schedule, as I do, it can be taken continuously with no breaks. I'm taking 500mg twice daily, 24/7 with no side effects and having good results: stable, some shrinkage, and now that we've added rads having some major response.
Anyway, thanks for the great news, I'll be looking for your continuing reports!

<3 Lolly

Carolyns
10-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Sandy,

Thank you for sharing. It sounds like things are going in the right direction.

Best wishes and peace to you, Carolyn

tousled1
10-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Sandy,

Great news! I'm so happy that you're having such good results with the Tykerb and that you are keeping us posted on your progress. Hopefully, others who travel down this road will have just as good of results.

Sandy H
10-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Al I started out with 3000 mgs but dropped to 2000 mgs and I may need to drop lower but time will tell. My oncologist says he does not like Xeloda because the side effects can sneaked up on us. He says many love the drug and get great results. Must be the hair we love right? Its great to hear from you Al and you are still with us. hugs, Sandy

lexigirl
10-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Sandy,

What a great report! That's wonderful that you are doing well with the tx. Keep us posted!

Hugs,
Lexi

Esther
10-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Great Sandy! Super that you are finding a treatment that works for you, and may bring such great hope to others in the future.

Bev
10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks Sandy for keeping us posted on what is working. Best wishes, BB

Dace
10-12-2006, 03:09 PM
That is very encouraging Sandy. I hope to be on Tykerb/Xeloda in the next two weeks. SO very glad to hear it's working well for you!