PDA

View Full Version : Heceptin interval 1 wk vs 3 wk

mkrny
10-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Can someone provide effectivity results or point me to studies that discuss why Herceptin should be given weekly? My wife's old onc gave it to her every three weeks. She has since been DXd w/ brain/csf mets which we are fighting now.

Thanks,
Ken & Maryann

Joe
10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Rather long but is what you are looking for:

http://www.cancerpublications.com/newsletter/breast/BTBC/v5n1/Gelmon/index.html

Regards
Joe

Cathya
10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Ken and Maryann;

I am so sorry to hear of Maryann's battle. Intuitively my onc and I had thought that taking herceptin weekly would reduce the overall strain on my heart and so the second time I took it we resorted this weekly from every three weeks. This did not turn out to be the case and I am wondering if it isn't actually more effective when taken weekly (for those without the heart issues). I was given the loading dose during week one and then one week later my first treatment. The effect on my heart was instant and dramatic and my gated heart scan dropped to lower than it had been during the previous time frame of treatments. So....in your wifes case I can't help but wondering if it wouldn't be more effective to have it weekly. In this way the body never has the chance to get it out of the system. Do you see what I mean. I am thinking this as it is not a heart issue for her but rather the battle....never let the cells have the opportunity to recharge themselves....

Cathy

mkrny
10-09-2006, 06:49 PM
New onc felt strongly that 1 wk interval is preferred. Link in Joe's reply implies 3 wk may be equivalent to 1 wk but stops short of concluding that. Our personal experience would indicate that 3 wk interval is not adequate.

My Maryann's has been on herceptin since 2001 with a few short breaks. Her heart has been strong throughout (literally and figuratively). Herceptin has been combined with a variety of hormonal or chemo agents since then.

As I have stated in previous and parallel threads, after discovering mets to brain she had WBR followed by Cyberknife boost. Then after a couple of very painful lumbar puncture MTX tmts she got an Ommaya. Now after a couple of months of IT MTX for CSF in conjunction w/ herceptin and Abraxane for body, main brain tumor appears to be in check but CSF is not.

So she will start a new cocktail Wednesday. This time the Glaxo EAP of Tykerb and Xeloda.

We'll keep you all posted on the Tykerb.

Ken & Maryann