PDA

View Full Version : A day like no other. My Daddy is gone.

Lisa
10-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Friends,

Thank you all for your prayers a few days ago. Today, I need them again. My father lay down to take a nap and never woke up. He was 83, had moderate Alzheimers and diabetes, but was happy. He sat in his chair reading and listening to music all day. My mother, who has been in lots of pain from arthritis and unknown other causes did all the caretaking. I live just a few blocks a day. Fortunately, my brother and his partner were visiting from NYC. Last night we all had a great dinner at Chili's, they went home, we kissed each other goodnight.

This morning he awoke with a bad cough, unable to keep food down, and went in for a nap. When my mother went to his room to give him his p.m. pills, he was already gone. Mel was called, he rushed over to give CPR, everybody tried to find me, but I was shopping without my cell phone. Actually, I'm glad I couldn't be reached until I arrived back at their house. I was able to say goodbye, tell him I love him all before they came to take away his body.

I don't know what my mother will do now.

Dear God, please cover both parents with lots of love and light, and guide my 85 year old mother along her path.

Thanks for letting me share.

Love and light,

Lisa

tousled1
10-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Lisa,

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Please take comfort in the fact that your father went peacefully and did not suffer. Your mother will probably lean on you for strength since you live close by. You and your family will be in my prayers. God bless you.

lindaw
10-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Dear Lisa

I am sorry to hear your sad news. Am thinking of you.

love
lindaw

Tom
10-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Dear Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear of your Father's passing. I know how much it must hurt, as I still grieve over my Dad, and he died in 1992. I suspect it might be even tougher for a woman to lose her Dad, as they have a very special relationship. My prayers are with you and your Mom as you endure yet another difficult journey.

Sincerely,
Tom

RhondaH
10-09-2006, 03:09 AM
more prayers are on the way. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Sheila
10-09-2006, 04:36 AM
Lisa
I am so sorry to hear about your Father. I think it is so hard to lose a parent, regardless of their age, we feel like they should be around to keep us safe forever. My prayers are with you and your Mom, that you will find strength to get through your sadness.

Barbara H.
10-09-2006, 05:05 AM
My sympathies go out to you and your family. It's difficult to lose a parent. My thoughts continue to be with you.
Barbara H.

RobinP
10-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Sad 4U and praying....

CherylS
10-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Lisa,

I can tell by the way you spoke of him that your dad meant a lot to you. Cherish your memories. May the Lord surround you and your family with a strong sense of His presence and peace.

Yorkiegirl
10-09-2006, 06:51 AM
Lisa you and your family will be in prayers during this difficult tme on the loss of your Dad.

May God wrap his arms around and give you comfort.

Lolly
10-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Dear Lisa,

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel, having lost my mother earlier this year. Losing a parent is very hard, but I'm so glad you and your mother are close so you can lean on each other to get through this.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

<3 Lolly

Her2nSue
10-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Lisa, my deepest sympathy for you and your family. Prayers are on their way. Know that you have strong friends here that can help you through this.
Sue

suzan w
10-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I am so sorry...it sounds like your Dad had a very special time with his family before he took that nap...and pleasant dreams to carry him to the next place. You are so lucky to have a great relationship with your parents/family...mine died years ago and we were never very close...always sad for me! Peace to you and your loved ones!

tricia keegan
10-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Lisa I'm sorry you lost your Dad but how comforting for you to know how peacefully he passed on. My Dad died from cancer some years ago and it was'nt very pleasant.(Not that there's a good way) but I hope my Mum who is 80 will have the same peacefull passing when her time comes.(Or mine for that matter)
God bless you all.
Tricia

chrisy
10-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Lisa, you're right - it is a day like no other. I can still relive every moment of that day for me - and it was 21 years ago. It is never easy, but what a blessing you were all together enjoying each others company the evening before. Much love and prayers to you and your family.
chris

Vanessa
10-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi Lisa,

I am very sorry to hear that you lost your father. Your will continue to be in my prayers. I lost my father on August 6, 2006 to late stage Alzheimer's. It is a treacherous disease. Again, I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Brighter days have got to be ahead for you.

lexigirl
10-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi Lisa,

I am sorry for the loss of your Dad. I am happy that you were with him the night before his passing and that he was happy. That is a blessing! You are a sweet daughter. I will say a prayer for you and your family.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

StephN
10-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Dear Lisa -
Life is sweet and sour. All those prayers for you and your intuition was probably about YOUR DAD instead. Close enough, I would say. Your feelings of foreboding actually WERE spot on. Just the person was not clear.

Nothing to feel bad about - his symptoms do not seem bad enough to call a doc or take him to the hospital, better he was left at home.

Your mother will have to refocus her life and this is going to be difficult as she was so devoted to your Dad. Very good that she is close by. Will remember you both in my prayers.

rinaina
10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
please accept my heartfelt sympathies, so very sorry for your loss. no matter what age a parent is, it is a terrible loss.

LOPSIDED
10-09-2006, 01:10 PM
LISA, I'M SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. JUST REMEMBER YOUR FATHER WOULD WON'T YOU TO STAY STRONG & LIVE LIFE. I TAKE CARE OF MY FATHER WHO JUST TURNED 89. JUST A FEW WEEKS AGO THE DOCTOR WANTED TO PUT HIM IN THE HOSPITAL AND PUT A FEEDING TUBE IN HIM. I TOLD MY SISTER TO JUST BRING HIM HOME AND I WOULD TRY TO MAKE HIM COMFORTABLE. EVERYDAY I WAKE UP I THINK THIS MIGHT BE MY LAST DAY WITH HIM. I KNOW IT WILL BE HARD TO LOSE HIM BUT I KNOW ITS PART OF LIFE AND I WILL REMEMBER HIM AND HOW MUCH HE LOVED ME. I HOPE YOU CAN FIND COMFORT IN YOUR MEMORIES. I KNOW YOU HAVE BEEN THRU A LOT, PLEASE TAKE CARE.

mom22girlz
10-09-2006, 02:35 PM
My prayers and thoughts are with you at this very difficult time. I lost my father to early onset Alzeheimer's two years ago. I am just so glad you got to have this last special night with him and he was happy. susan

Cathya
10-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Lisa;

I am so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. My prayers to you and your family.

Cathy

Liz J.
10-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Dear Lisa and family,

I send my deepest sympathy to you and your family. Steph said what I was going to say. You had a premonition and did not know it. I am hoping that your last night together will bring you some consolation. It is good that you are close to your mom. May God keep you strong. With prayers and love.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

Barbara2
10-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm so sorry, Lisa. Praying for God's strength and comfort for you and your family during this very difficult time.

Bev
10-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Vey sorry Lisa. Hang onto to all those memories. I'm with Steph and hoping this is what had you on edge. BB

madubois63
10-10-2006, 04:38 AM
Dear Lisa - I am so sorry for your loss. I know there are no words to make this any better for you and your family (especially your mom). I am sure your dad is dancing (or playing poker) with the angels...

MJo
10-10-2006, 06:57 AM
I've heard that in Jewish tradition (and maybe other traditions) to die in your sleep is to be "kissed by God." My 80 year old mom fussed over my dad all their life together. She misses him (he died in 2002), but she enjoys many things about her life. Please take good care of yourself. MJO

Audrey
10-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Lisa, so sorry for your loss--I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. I lost my Dad suddenly about 16 years ago, when I was 24, and it was so hard--I was Daddy's little girl! But now he still feels close to me, like he's watching over me and time really does ease the pain. I'm glad you live so close to your Mom, you can lean on each other for support during this time... you know we're all here for you, too.

dede10
10-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Prayers for you & your family

EllaD
10-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. You must feel like a part of you is missing now. I lost my Dad in 1988. I must say there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of him. Things will happen to remind me of him so frequently - silly little things. I know it is him just saying hello to me and telling me everything will be ok. I hope your Dad will watch over you in the same way.

My prayers are with you.

EllaD

Joe
10-11-2006, 04:38 AM
On behalf of us and the HER2 Support Group Board of Directors, we offer you and your family our deepest sympathies.

Christine and Joe

TriciaK
10-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Let me add my thoughts and prayers to all the others, Lisa. What tender memories you have of your last hours together! May God bless you and your family. My mom died at age 47 and my dad at 55, so I've been an "orphan" for many years, but the sweet memories never die and you will feel him close, just as I still do my parents. We are all here for you! Hugs, Tricia

MCS
10-13-2006, 06:42 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss Lisa. I lost mine in July of this year. Yes, it will be difficult on you and your family for a while. My mother who was married to dad for 54 years and was his caregiver is very lost yet.

However, it looks as if he had no pain in passing away so that should be of confort and the fact that he lived to an old age.

My sympathy to yours.

MCS ( maria)