PDA

View Full Version : Radiation to the thymus and breast cancer

Ceesun
10-07-2006, 10:46 AM
It's me again,does anyone know anyone who came down with breast cancer after having radiation to the thymus as an infant?? that is what they did to newborns who had breathing distress as babies @ 1950-1960. This was done to me at age 6 months and can lead to thyroid cancer which I had 22 years ago and am convinced that is what lead to my breast cancer. I was wondering if anyone is aware of this or has feedback on this topic. thanks Ceesun

AnneP
10-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Ceesun,
As an infant in the late 40's, a birthmark from my upper back was removed by radiation. I have not had any radiation to the thymus and have not had thyroid cancer; but, I have always wondered if the radiation contributed to my breast cancer which was diagnosed in 2/05. My doctors always seem to be interested in the fact that this was done but usually don't say much. I have had a skin cancer on the scar left by the removal of the birthmark. It's my feeling that the radiation I received as an infant contributed to my breast cancer. But, of course, I will never know for sure.
Anne

Becky
10-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Diana Dyer, author of the Breast Cancer Diet (outlined well in RhondaH's post of the same) had a cancer radiated as an infant. She attributes both bouts of breast cancer as an adult (one breast at 34 yrs old and a totally new breast cancer in the other breast about 10 yrs later) to the radiation. I believe this can be a clear cause.

Many young women (in the early 20s) with lymphoma or Hodgkins get bc later due to the intense radiation.

Kindest regards

Becky

AnneP
10-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Thank you, Becky. I wasn't aware that Diana Dyer had been radiated as an infant. I'll investigate the other posts about her.

Anne