PDA

View Full Version : MUGA scan info

kari
10-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Hello all,
This is a great site! Thanks for support and answers to questions. I have been reading posts, but have never posted myself, until now.
I will be starting Herceptin and Tamoxifen in Nov, after I finish my 25 radiation treatments. I had a base-line MUGA done on Sept 27. The report said the LVEF was 55%.
From what I have read, this is low normal, and I am concerned about how quickly that percentage might fall after I start Herceptin, in which case they would stop the Herceptin temporarily.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Do I need to be concerned?
I did have 4 courses of AC chemo and then Taxol during the spring/summer, and I know the "A" can also cause cardiomyopathy. I was not monitored for heart function during the chemo.
Thanks in advance for any info/comments.
Kari

Bev
10-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Kari, they really should have done a baseline before you started. That said 55 after Ac is OK. I went from 65 to 56. They were OK with that. After rads I started CoQ10 and had a 70. Still on Herceptin, all is well. When you get down to 45 or there abouts is when they stop. Best of Luck. BB

Becky
10-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Kari

After your radiation is over, start taking CoQ10 (this is an antioxidant that helps the function of the heart but you shouldn't take it during rads). Start slowly taking 50-100 mgs per day for a couple of days and add in 50mgs more per day for a couple of days until you are taking 300-400 mg per day. Right now you can start walking (I don't know if you do or not but walking really strengthens the heart). Since you are probably tired from chemo and now rads, start slow but work your way up to 30-60 minutes of walking 5 days a week. I did this and I know it helped me. I stayed above 50 (was at 55) the whole time and finished my year at a 50 (just last Friday).

Take care of yourself and eat well (right). You will do alright. Keep us posted.

Kindest regards

Becky