PDA

View Full Version : Update from TriciaK

TriciaK
10-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone! I have been mostly lurking for the last several months, but you have all been in my thoughts and prayers. As I read all the posts I feel so much emotion and love for you and all the struggles you are going through. My heart aches for those who have left us and for their families. I feel guilty that I am still alive at 76 and others so much younger have lost the fight. I don't understand why this is. I felt that maybe I shouldn't post because of my feelings, but then I realize that perhaps I can be a beacon of hope to someone who needs it right now, that having fought the BC beast for 21+ years and so far won, I not only should post, but must post.
I am now 2 years and 4 months past my last diagnosis of stage IV lung mets, in July 2004, this time Her2. I went off herceptin Nov. 15 last year, when my EF dropped to 30. I had been on it for nearly 15 months, plus femara and 6 months of navelbine. I had a PET/CT scan July 22 this year which shows still NED. I had triple bypass heart surgery May 8 this year and have recovered so well I no longer need to be on oxygen even in the mountains.
Now I am undertaking one of life's challenges, moving again---the 3rd time in 3 years!! This time I am feeling strong enough to do most of the packing myself. We are moving from the big city of Mesa, Az. (next to Phoenix) to the much smaller beautiful city of St. George, Utah. We are excited because we are downsizing to a lovely adult community where my husband won't have to do yardwork anymore, and we are closer to children and grandchildren.
Last week I told my oncologist and the onc nurses. There were tears and hugs all around. My onc said I was one of his success stories--he's been there for me for 21 years--and as he hugged me he said "I am only a phone call away." In 2004 he thought I only had 3 months to live at most. He has been most impressed with my knowledge, which came from this website. Thanks to this website our relationship went from an oncologist making all decisions for a helpless patient to an equal team making decisions together---all thanks to you!
I will be offline for a short while as we transition after Oct. 16, but I will be back on ASAP and you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. It will be hard to find a new oncology team but there is a branch of the Huntsman Cancer Center in St. George so I will be in good hands.
I just wanted to let you know what's happening and why I haven't been posting much lately. I will always be available to you, and if any of you who are new need help in self-hypnosis and psychonueroimmunology visualization, I am available for you especially. Best wishes and love and prayers to all! I feel you are very special friends, and send my gratitude to all you who have taught me so much, and to Joe and Christine for making this site possible. Hugs, Tricia

suzan w
10-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Thank you for these words...you are an inspiration!!

RhondaH
10-05-2006, 11:52 AM
and have a safe move...don't work TOO hard. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

MJo
10-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Enjoy your new home, and when you are settled I would like to hear more about your 21 years of battling this disease on and off. MJO

Liz J.
10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi Tricia,

So good to read your post. I think the move is a great idea. More time to relax and also be closer to family. I always enjoyed reading your posts and you are a great inspiration. Hope to see you on the site after you move and get settled in.

All the best.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

lexigirl
10-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Tricia,

How nice to see your smiling face! I am happy that you are well and excited for your move. It sounds like it will be very nice to e close to your children and grandchildren. I am sure they are very excited, too!

Hugs,
Lexi

Becky
10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Tricia

It is so nice to read a post from you and find that you are continuing to do so well. Congratulations on your move. Its exciting!!! Take care and we all look forward to your return.

Kindest regards

Becky

Lolly
10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Tricia, how exciting for you to be making such a positive move! And even more so that you are doing so in good health and spirits. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you transition, and I'll be looking for your smiling face here again soon ;)

<3 Lolly

IRENE FROM TAMPA
10-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Your story is such an inspiration and I am so glad you shared with us. We all needed this about now.

There are no answers for all of this that we are going through and why some of us survive longer then others. We just have to keep the fight going and do the best that we can and you are now going to enjoy some time closer to your family and that is what happiness is all about

Safe move Tricia and keep let us know when you are settled in.

Sherryg683
10-05-2006, 04:26 PM
You should never feel guilty for being alive, you are an inspiration and should post more often. I know I like to hear from Stage IV's that are still in remission..sherryg683

chrisy
10-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Tricia, thanks for posting - I think about you and your hubby often. So glad to hear that you are doing well and moving to a situation which will be positive for you in so many ways. Not the idea of moving 3 times in 3 years sounds like fun...but you've obviously tackled bigger tasks than that! You are an inspiration!
Take care
Chris

Barbara H.
10-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Thank you for your beautiful update. I always enjoy reading your uplifting posts. I wish you much happiness in your new home. We will be looking forward to hearing from you when you are settled.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

Sandy H
10-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Tricia, I was about to post asking why you haven't been posting thinking you were ill. Now, I can relax and thank God you are still NED. I am sure its hard to move leaving behind many friends, and yet in some ways something to look forward to. You are an inspiration on this board so please do keep posting. I just love to read your posts. I have a very close friend who is 90 years old she calls me her grand daughter some people don't know the difference and her two sons love me like I am. She keeps telling people she should not be here its time to be pushing dasies! She says us young people need her good health! I love her so much. She worries over me, I have to check in with her every where I go. I take her shopping and for rides most every week. She says her sons can do it but its more fun with another woman. Let us know as soon as you get settled. Are you anywhere near the Morman Tab.? I hear it is beautiful and would love to see it some day. My sister in law who is Morman has pictures she took of it. Wishing you well in your move and don't get too tired. hugs, Sandy

Cathya
10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Tricia;

I am so glad you posted and so happy you are doing so well!! You are right....you MUST post. It certainly is an inspiration to me and you give us all such hope. As you know right now we need hope here. We have lost so many wonderful women in this awful battle and you are the longest living surviver I know of. Bless you and thank you for posting. God bless.

Cathy

sassy
10-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Tricia,

So glad to hear you are well and entering another exciting time in your life!
Best Wishes,
________
Ecigarettes (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

Bev
10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks so much Tricia, We really do need to hear the success stories over and over. I have a BC buddy that's gone downhill and I've been feeling bad about it. BB.

Kimberly Lewis
10-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Tricia, you don't know how much I needed to hear that. I have been moved to tears many times reading on this site but this time my tears were brought on by your beautiful story of life. It is hard to believe how difficult it is to have hope. It seems like a fairytale. Thanks for telling your real life fairytale and giving me back my hope! Enjoy your golden years! kim

rinaina
10-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Wishing you the best with your move. Don't work too hard. Enjoy your new surroundings and continued good health.

geraldine
10-06-2006, 07:31 PM
1st of all, I would like to say how much of an inspiration you are to all of us. You should be proud of the fight you have put up these past 21 years against this terrible disease and never ever feel guilty for surviving..
When I first posted last year, you were one of the first to reply. Funny how some things stick in your mind.
You said you were connected to Scotland through McIntosh's, and have history at Culloden, well I personally know of some McIntosh,s, maybe the wrong ones, but who knows. My family, originally came from Ireland, two generations ago, so you may be more scottish than me ????
If you ever want to come over, I would be delighted to be of any assistance.
Please keep up the good work and happy house moving, I hope it is stress free. Enjoy your children and grandchildren.

God Bless
Geraldine

tousled1
10-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Tricia,

Your post really came at a good time -- especialy for me. Yes, there have been a number of women who have passed away recently from this dreadful disease which makes me realize just how precious life is. You should never feel any guilt for surviving for so long -- you should be admired for your stamina and fight. You are an inspiration and give all of us hope that we too can and will survive for many years to come. Good luck with your move. I know you will be happy being near to your family.

MCS
10-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Tricia,

Oh I was so happy to see your face and post. It had a been a long time and just as the other ones have said, you are an inspiration a light for all of us.

Good luck with the move, the weather and a new home.

LOVE Always

MCS ( maria)

Vanessa
10-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Best wishes to you!