PDA

View Full Version : Question about a post......

Mary Jo
10-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Hello,

A post under the "support......" topic, started by me (marejo) and one of the respondants being micheleu said "my onc. told me they have not had ANYONE recur in 5 years on the herceptin trial." She went on to say that "she had to ask several nurses because she didn't believe it and they confirmed that." Is that really true? I've never heard anything quite that encouraging about herceptin. Of course being an early stager that had a clear PET scan (other than breast of course) when initially diagnosed - having gone through my mastectomy's, chemo, rads and herceptin (finish Oct. 11 with herceptin) I would sure love to believe that is true.

Please share what you know!

Thank you,

marejo

P.S. Micheleu - I'm not doubting you - just never heard that and wondered who else had heard it.

Joe
10-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I cannot speak for Michelle, but I think that she meant only at that particular cancer center. It has not yet been 5 years since the start of the trial so 5 year results are not available.

Regards
Joe

Mary Jo
10-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Thank you Joe.

marejo

deb-steph
10-04-2006, 08:43 AM
i asked my onc about recurrence rates that he has personally seen with her2 breast ca. i was a stage IIb, 2.1 cm mass with one sentinel node microscopically positive, no mets. he said that the highest rate of recurrence is 18 - 24 months after diagnosis and then chances drop dramatically (don't know specific numbers). he stated that if you make the 5 year survival time frame that he has never seen it recur. I don't know if that is for both breasts or for the affected or for both. Even if her2 doesn't recur after 5 years, hormone driven cancer is still out there. he diagnoised a patient who was 13 years out with hormone driven breast cancer within the last week. hope this info helps.