PDA

View Full Version : Chemo for bc best started w/in 12 wks of surgery

Hopeful
10-03-2006, 05:03 PM
JCO Early Release, published online ahead of print Oct 2 2006
Journal of Clinical Oncology, 10.1200/JCO.2005.01.6089

Impact on Survival of Time From Definitive Surgery to Initiation of Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Early-Stage Breast Cancer Caroline Lohrisch,* Charles Paltiel, Karen Gelmon, Caroline Speers, Suzanne Taylor, Jeff Barnett, and Ivo A. Olivotto

From the Breast Cancer Outcomes Unit; Systemic Therapy Radiation Therapy Program; Population and Preventive Oncology Program, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver and Victoria; and the Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia.

Purpose: To determine if time to start of adjuvant chemotherapy after curative surgery influences survival in early-stage breast cancer. Patients and Methods: A retrospective review was conducted of 2,594 patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy for stage I and II breast cancer between 1989 and 1998 at the British Columbia Cancer Agency. Relapse-free survival (RFS) and overall survival (OS) were compared among patients grouped by time from definitive curative surgery to start of adjuvant chemotherapy (http://www.jco.org/math/le.gif 4 weeks, > 4 to 8 weeks, > 8 to 12 weeks, and >12 to 24 weeks).

Results: RFS and OS were similar for women starting chemotherapy up to 12 weeks after surgery. OS hazard ratio (univariate) for initiation of chemotherapy more than 12 weeks compared with 12 weeks or less after surgery was 1.5 (95% CI, 1.07 to 2.10; P = .017). Five-year OS rates were 84%, 85%, 89%, and 78%, (log-rank P = .013); RFS rates were 74%, 79%, 82%, and 69% (log-rank P = .004) for patients starting chemotherapy 4 weeks or fewer, more than 4 to 8 weeks, more than 8 to 12 weeks, and more than 12 to 24 weeks after surgery, respectively. In multivariate analysis, independent prognostic factors were grade, size, nodal status, estrogen receptor, age, and lymphatic and/or vascular invasion. Initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy more than 12 weeks from surgery remained significantly associated with inferior survival, with a hazard ratio of 1.6 (95% CI, 1.2 to 2.3; P = .005).

Conclusion: This retrospective analysis suggests that adjuvant chemotherapy is equally effective up to 12 weeks after definitive surgery but that RFS and OS appear to be compromised by delays of more than 12 weeks after definitive surgery.

http://www.jco.org/cgi/content/abstract/JCO.2005.01.6089v1

Hopeful

Jean
10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Many thanks,

Jean

saleboat
10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Thank you for posting this. I waited 7 weeks between surgery and chemo so that I could do a round of IVF (and hopefully preserve our ability to have bio-children). I've always wondered if maybe I didn't push things a bit... too late now, in any case!

Jen