PDA

View Full Version : Off Herceptin and developed ITCHY rashes

mts
10-03-2006, 07:10 AM
I completed 1 year of Herceptin in July and I have developed large itchy patches of skin on several parts of my body. Under my armpit, around my neck, inside of elbow... Onc suggested I go to a dermatologist and he prescribed Benadryl tablets and calamine lotion. The benadryl helps at night (I can't take during day because it makes me really sleepy). I don't think that dermatologists are really "with it" when it comes to Herceptin...
Anyway, is anyone having rashes that don't seem to go away, and if so, what are you taking?
This is driving me crazy!

Maria (MTS)

juanita
10-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I finished herceptin in June, but I started getting red, itchy spots rashes back in March. My family doc perscribed halobetasol propionate cream .05%. You mix it with lotion and use it twice a day. I took three or four days of use before the rash was gone. I got them on and off after that and would use the cream again. I haven't had them come back lately, possibly because I'm getting the herceptin out of my system.

heblaj01
10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Maria, Juanita:

Did you get itching & rashes in spite of having received premeds such as Benedryl or Decadron while on Herceptin or perhaps because your onc never prescribed premeds?

mts
10-04-2006, 06:00 AM
I was never prescribed pre-meds for Herceptin except for the first loading dose.

Maria (MTS)

MJo
10-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I didn't get premeds for Herceptin either, but I take a benedryl tablet on my own before the infusion. For peace of mind. As for the rash -- you can buy benedryl gel at the drugstore. I use it for allergic rashes. May help or may not in this case. I get a rash after Herceptin infusion but it's minor.

juanita
10-04-2006, 12:54 PM
I got benadryl before herceptin. And there was nothing else changed in my life at that time. I ended herceptin in June and the last of the rashes were in probably August.

MCS
10-04-2006, 02:31 PM
I only received benadryl with pre med in loading dose. I take an oral on day of infusion for peace of mind.

Benadryl does nothing for itchy rash. deramatologist don't get it, i tried.

HOWEVER, theres' a lotion called SARNA, over the counter, for eczema and it gets rid of my itchiness.

I get it sometimes even in the hot shower when my pores breath. Tryi it. it's a bit expnsive ( 12.99 for over the counter is high:)) but it lasts and its fragance free. I found it looking for something to help me that did not involve another pill. It has a very mild analgesic, not menthol.

I also get an itchiness if I sweat, almost like the hercepting is oozing out of my body.

Good luck

MCS ( marai)

Barbara2
10-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Before cancer, I had the red, itchy patches on inside of elbows that came after mostly wearing sweatshirts or clothing that made me warm. While on herceptin I got a bright red patch under my arm (about 1 inch in diameter) that didn't usually itch.

I feared skin mets and asked my family doc about it because my onc was gone. He said it didn't look like mets (it wasn't, I guess) and said it was probably a yeast disorder and commented that it was in the creases under my arm, therefore more of a reason it was likely from yeast. (Later, my onc agreed) He gave me a perscription of something to apply twice a day. I wasn't very faithful with putting it on after going several days with no improvement.

My husband had a very effective (expensive) cream-Diprosone- that he has used for years on his hands due to skin problems, so I tried that. It worked almost right away. The bright red color went away.

I've been off herceptin for about 4 months now. It never occured to me that those red circle/patches could be from herceptin. I still believe it was from a yeast of some sort.

After some time, it came back. Along with another bright patch. I have treated both patches with my husbands cream. It has kept it away for a couple of months now.

mts
10-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Thank you all for posting... I now have MORE answers than my dermatologist could provide. Ain't this site GRAND!

Maria