PDA

View Full Version : Surgeon's Follow up Visits????

Jackie
10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Ladies,

I had a masectomy 5/05. Since then my surgeon has had me come in for follow-up visits every 3 months, even though I have been receiving chemo and Herceptin through out this time, therefore I have been seeing an oncologist. I have a friend who has been through the same surgery and treatment, but different surgeon. She hasn't gone back to her surgeon beyond the initial follow-up right after surgery. My question is what is the protocol concerning follow-up with your surgeon when you are seeing an onc. also??????????? When I go to the surgeon I see him maybe 5 mins. He does a breast check, I have had a chest xray and blood work done (the blood work is usually what had been done at the onc.). I don't want to not go if it is best to go, but I don't see the point since I am still going to onc. every 3 months now since I finished my Herceptin.

bobbiw
10-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Hummm interesting I say. After my mastectomy I saw the surgeon for follow up (drains out etc) maybe twice. That was all that I would have needed to see him except I had to have fluid aspirated weekly for awhile. So I dont know why you would need to be seeing your surgeon on going?

Bobbi

RhondaH
10-02-2006, 06:20 PM
since dx 2/1/05 and the protocol he and my onc have set up for me since finishing Herceptin 8/10/06 is that I will see my surgeon, in 3 months my onc, in 3 months my surgeon, in 3 months my onc, etc. They work well together and I trust them both. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Yorkiegirl
10-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I only saw my Surgeon for the drian removal, and another follow for staple and stitch removal. That's it. All of my other appts have been with Onc or my PC.

Bev
10-02-2006, 07:16 PM
I see the surgeon every 6 mos alternating with the rad onc who I see every 6 mos. See the onc every 3 mos. Throw in the gyn and there was a time I had 3 Breast checks in 1 week. I don't know what I'll do with all my free time once they start spacing the visits out. I would guess the onc will go to the 6 month plan after I'm done with H. I think they will stay on this schedule for 5 years. It's better to be seen too much rather than too little. BB

Jackie
10-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Bumping up

Hopeful
10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
My surgeon said she would handle my imaging follow-ups. I saw here right after surgery, at 3 months past, and will see her again 6 months following the three month visit (6 mo. post radiation therapy). I expect I will see her at six month intervals for the next three visits.

Hopeful

tricia keegan
10-03-2006, 12:41 PM
I had my lumpectomy July 05 and still have been seeing my surgeon every 3 months even though I still receive herceptin every 3 weeks and see the onc every 3 months too.I have an apt with the surgeon next week but then I believe I will see him in 6 months then a year later.I have to mark my calender regularly with so many apt's and can't wait to be finished and have all this free time!!
Tricia

Mary Anne in TX
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm scheduled to see my surgeon next week (6 months since surgery) but when I showed the post card to my onc. he said wait til after I finish chemo., which will be a while! But I did just have a bone scan, muga, and CT scan. I really like my surgeon, but don't want any more input than is necessary right now!
I feel great on just Navelbein (sp) and Herceptin and just want a month or so to think about feeling good! So glad this question was asked!!!!!
ma

MCS
10-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I only saw mine twice after surgery. After 2 weeks and after 3 months.

XOXO

MCS ( maria)

Peggy
10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
I saw my surgeon to have the drains out (two visits), a six month follow up, and then to have my port removed. when I finished Herceptin in June...I think we're finished and I'm just being seen by onc at 4 month intervals....

Peggy

Jackie
10-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks to all the responses to my question. I think that I will visit with my onc about it. I see him next month.

tousled1
10-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I saw my surgeon a few times after my surgery - drainage tubes removed, staples removed and 2 visits to have excess fluid removed. I will be seeing her every 3 months for a year then every 6 months for a year and after that once a year. She works very closely with my surgeon. Also I went to the surgeon's office to get fitted with my prothesis'. I really like my surgeon and don't mind seeing her at all.

juanita
10-04-2006, 12:49 PM
I saw my surgeon every 6 months till a year and a half post surgery,then I didn't have to go back for a year. I see the rad onc every 6 months still, and the onc when I had treatments. I go for a check-up on Wednesday next week and have been done with herceptin since June. don't know how often he will have me come back.

panicked911
10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
At the mhor N cancer center where I am being treated the surgeon is the lead doc for the first five years - she is in charg of my breats while the onc is i in charge of the rest of my body even though I am stage 1 .
see her every thre months first year and the every six after that when i go for the MRI and mamo/sono - works really well and if i hve any questions or concerns i can always e-mail or call her. She is also the one who gives me the news about MRI or mamo/sono.