PDA

View Full Version : ? for ER-/Her2+++ Women in Menopause

Vicki
10-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi,

For those of you on the board, who are ER-/Her2+++, and in menopause, are you on any estrogen/progestin/testosterone or are you wary of taking ANY form of hormones for menopausal symptoms?

A friend of mine, who is ER+/Her2+++, and had bc and is done with treatment, takes Premarin vag. cream three times a week and Vagi-fem vag. tablets twice a week and says that her gynecologist says she's in great shape! I know some women use it for dryness and thinning skin, not to mention hot flashes. If you feel more comfortable writing me offline, please jot me a note at zimmermanvicki@yahoo.com or post it here if you're comfortable.

Then, there's the topic of synthetic vs. bioidentical (estradiol) hormones that are not as dangerous and stay local and are not as systemic. Before I find and see a new gynecologist, I want to clarify such subjects as synthetic vs. bioidentical hormones (estradiol). I am not on any hormones presently and even though my breast cancer was estrogen negative, I still have reservations about using them, but do understand that they can help combat certain symptoms that come up on occasion.

If you have any thoughts on this topic, will you please forward your ideas to me? I really hope to hear from some of you.

Thanks,

Vicki

P.S. I did find a bit of info. on this at drerika.com

tousled1
10-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Vicki,

I'm ER/PR- and HER2+++. I had a hysterectomy but they left the ovaries due to my age and then around 1990 I started to experience hot flashes. My ob/gyn doctor put me on estrogen patches. The patch helped with the hot flashes. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer the oncologist immediately told me to stop using the estrogen patch.

Montana
10-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I had been using Prempro for about 10 years for hot flashes when I was diagnosed at age 54. My PCP had me stop taking the Prempro immediately. I've always had a feeling this might have contributed to the breast cancer. I was highly estrogen positive. I really miss the way I used to feel on the Prempro....no aches and pains, no hot flashes. I'm taking Arimidex and ache all over. I've recently started taking low doses of Celebrex which has helped greatly.

At this point, I'd be leary of taking any type of estrogen. My onc said to avoid soy as this is nature's estrogen.

...........Sorry, I just realized you were talking to ER neg women in menopause....must be that I'm in "mental-pause".

Vicki
10-03-2006, 09:17 AM
I really appreciate your feedback; thanks for taking the time.

Even though I'm ER-, I did take Prempro for four years (1998-2002), and stopped with the stroke scare, and this was BEFORE my breast cancer diagnosis.

I still think, though the med. community would probably disagree, that the Prempro activated, accelerated or turned on something in my system, because that's when I noticed what was to become Paget's of the nipple.

As I said, I'm reluctant to take anything, but don't want to develop any significant problems with the lack of hormones in my system. I don't have these, but my mother-in-law has bladder/urinary incontinence; a friend has pain during sex, another has joint pain.) So, what can we do to prevent or slow down the aging or atrophy? Hope to hear from some of you others who have experience or info.

Thanks,

Vicki

Peggy
10-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I took premarin (sp?) for a couple of years for hot flashes and craziness (sure it has another name). I stopped because of published concerns..stopped 5 years before bc diagnosis. I am sure there are some medical remedies but I am choosing exercise, healthy diet, and mental stimulation...I am 60, and so far things seem to be working well ...when the joints really hurt I take ibuprofen...it seems that a year of bc treatment puts a different perspective on normal discomfort!

atdec05
10-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi,

My onc. recommended an e-string for vaginal dryness and because I was having symtoms of prolapsed uretha. The estring delivers less estrogen than topical cream and it is confined locally to the vaginal area. She wanted me to have the smallest amount of estrogen possible.

Like you, I am er/pr-, her2+ and am in menopause

- Anna

Vicki
10-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi Anna,

I've never heard of estring before. Is it a ring that's inserted? Plus, what are the symptoms of the prolapsed urethra? My main concern is thinning and dryness; does this medication help in a fairly short amount of time and does your doctor give you regular blood tests to check on your hormone levels?

Thanks for the info. I'm seeing a new gynecologist soon.

Vicki

atdec05
10-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi Vicki

Yes, an estring is a plastic ring that's inserted. It releases 2MG estrogen over a 3-month period.

My symptoms of a prolapsed uretha were that sex felt uncomfortable and when I looked at myself (with a mirror & alot of contortions!) things didn't look right!

According to my PCP, internal organs can fall or relapse because they aren't getting enough estrogen to keep the muscles elastic that are holding them in place. The estring seems to help make things moister.

I also use astroglide for sex which is a lubricant. Before I got the estring, I tried Replens, an OTC vaginal moisturizer which doesn't contain estrogen. I'm not tested for hormonal levels. My onc. felt confident the estring had a minimal amount of estrogen and it was locally confined.

- Anna

Vicki
10-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi Anna,

Your post really helped to explain several things. I just got off the phone with another bc friend, who lives nearby, and she had some similar urinary problems, and said not to wait before something happens, like atrophy or pain, etc. She sees a uro-gynecologist and said she's on a combination of 2% estriol cream and Estrace (Estradiol), which she gets at a compounding pharmacy. She doesn't have her hormone levels checked either.

I feel so lucky to have women, like you, to share with and talk to about these things. Thanks very much. Now that I have a few names of doctors, I'm going to visit a local compounding pharmacy and ask the pharmacist which person he'd recommend if I' decide I'm interested in this kind of prescription.

Vicki