PDA

View Full Version : Results Back

IRENE FROM TAMPA
09-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi All

Just wanted to update everyone on the results of my first follow-up after starting on the Tykerb/Xeloda trial...

Required test to be done every 6 weeks...
Full blood test / tumor markers
Echo cardiogram
Cat Scan / in my case they did a Pet/CT scan since I am alergic to the
Iodine contrast.

I started my third cycle this Monday with a reduced dosage of the Xeloda to
2650 mg since my stomach was so upset. I feel much better so far.

My ejection fracture for the echo was 70%. I have never had it that high before so am not sure if all of that walking we did in Italy helped or what.
Last months was 58% and it has always been 58 - 62%.

My CEA went down from 35 to 3.5 (which we thought was great)

The Pet Scan did not show any shrinkage of the two tumors but they had not grown or spread anywhere else that they could see at this time. Given my sensitivity to the CEA, my onc was very pleased with the BIG drop in that number and hopes that maybe the meds are at least starting to stop the growth of the tumors and hopefully will see more results next visit after another couple of rounds. I really was not expecting too much this first visit, but was just praying no growth or spread.

Sooo we are pleased and will continue on as planned.

Now that I have recooped from my fevers and feeling good again have to get back down to earth from my trip and concentrate now on the 3 day Breast Cancer walk (60 miles in 3 days) which will be in my area on 10/13th.

I have been working on raising funds for this all year and really pray that I can participate without any issues. My onc just wants me to be smart about the walking and not overdo and to watch for swelling in my feet/ankes since I had this episode on my return from the trip. I will walk as much as I think I can but I really really want to be their and walk for ALL OF US and the cause. We will all be camping out somewhere along our beaches so we hope the weather holds out here for us. This is our hurricane season so it could rain. But it should be a very emotional but rewarding 3 days and lots of fun. My three daughters along with some of my friends and my significant other will be walking along with me. I feel so very blessed to be given the chance to do this in hopes of helping others through research. We need lots and lots of research to be done for more drugs to be discovered.

I walk for my daughters so that their daughters never have to walk for them.

Wish me luck on my next adventure.........

RhondaH
09-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I am SOOOO happy for you and pray that good results continue. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Susan2
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Great news. I hope that you have a wonderful walk. I look forward to seeing more great reports.

MCS
09-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Good going Irene. It seem that the trip did work for you

Best

MCS ( maria)

Bev
09-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Glad to here positive news Irene. Thanks for doing the walk but don't push yourself too hard. BB

Lala
09-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Irene,
Thank you for sharing your news. I am so happy that you are having Good results using the Tykerb. I think the drop in you CEA marker is wonderful and having stable mets is a very good sign.

I am so proud of you for participating in the 3 Day Breast Cancer walk!
Thank you for walking for all of us. You are such an inspiration. Please be careful and remember that I am thinking of you every step you take.
Best of luck to you!

Hugs to you

Andi
09-28-2006, 08:42 PM
What great news, Irene. Good luck with your 3 day walk. May daughter and I are doing the Arizona 3 day in November. From all I have been told it is a fantanstic experience. Please share your experience with us.

chrisy
09-28-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm so glad (and relieved) to hear you have started off with some great indicators so soon. I hope with you that the mets will follow the CEA and go way down next time! After all the walking you did in Italy, the 3day should be a breeze - although you'll probably miss the uphill part (well, maybe the DOWNhill part).

Take care and thanks for sharing your good news.
Chris

sherri
09-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Dear Irene,

I'm so happy for you. I did the walk last year just after my chemo. I went with my daughter and sister. The funny thing is that I was the only one who could finish the race with no problem. And I told my daughter I do it because I don't want you or your daugthers or any woman walk for BC in the future.
I hope you will have more good news soon, you deserve it.

Big hug,

Vanessa
09-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Congratulations on the good news! I am very happy for you. Also, I have been worried about being able to do the Susan G. Komen 5k walk on Saturday. You must be a lot stronger than I am to be able to do the 3 day walk. Good luck to you. I agree, here is hoping that our daughters and granddaughters never have to walk. Best wishes.

IRENE FROM TAMPA
09-29-2006, 04:40 AM
For your constant support....

I think it important to share our stories through all of this. If we can encourage just one person, well that is something good.

Chrisy - I actually do miss the ups and downs (wheeeew) I had to re-acclimate myself in my house when we returned since all of the homes over there had steps up and down and of course the roads. I found myself still wanting to look for a step somewhere. The flatlands of Florida had not prepared me for any of this. GREAT FUN.

Sherri - that is funny about you being the only one able to complete the walk.
sometimes we amaze ourselves with the strengths we find inside of
ourselves. We have to keep pulling these strengths up for our inner
healings.

Andi - Good luck to you on your upcoming walk in Arizona. It will be great.
By the way.. we met three wonderful couples from Phoenix
while on a wine tour in Italy. We had so much fun with them.

Take care all and talk to you again soon.

Jean
09-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Irene,

So thrilled to read your update - sending continued good wishes and prayers!

Let's hope that your grand daughers NEVER have to walk!

Jean

rinaina
09-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Glad you received a good report and way to go on the echo. Perhaps all that walking in Italy made the difference...they always say how important cardio workouts are. You are so right when you say it is important to share our stories for the sake of helping others. I for one would have been at a loss without this forum and I know everyone feels the same way. There is a great comfort in knowing you aren't alone in this fight. Continued posititve findings for you and all.

tousled1
09-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Irene,

Great results!! Good luck in the walk.