PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin/weight gain

Sandy H
09-27-2006, 04:41 PM
I know this question has been asked here if Herceptin causes weight gain. I have been off Herceptin for 2 months now and have lost 10 pounds without even trying. I have tried my best to loose a few pounds for the past two years to no avail. I am sure it must have been the Herceptin and I thought it was. Of course, I have lost my taste for food and appetite I think from the Taxol but I do still eat to keep my strength up. I don't like the feeling you get from skipping meals. I am glad I can afford to loose some weight hopefully, it will be the right amount as I am not one of those that want to be too thin. With this disease I think it helps to have some weight in reserve! Now, how is that for an excuse? hugs, Sandy

tousled1
09-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Sandy,

Love your sense of humor! I recall on previous posts that women complained of weight gain while on Herceptin. I can't really say since I haven't been on it that long. All I can say is that I'm maintaining my weight.

Mary Jo
09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Wow - lucky you. My last herceptin is Oct. 11th and I hope I drop a few pounds. I gained about 10 pounds since chemo/herceptin. I eat well - exercise daily and the weight will not come off. A pound or two here or there and up and down it goes. I always wondered if it was the meds or the instant menopause. Possibly a combination of both.

Oh well - not gonna fret the small stuff. A little "chub" is better than cancer. Hehe!

marejo

Carolyns
09-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi Sandy,

You are on Lapatanib right? I read that weight loss could be a side effect of that drug. Did you ask your doctor?

Carolyns

Sandy H
09-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Carolyn that is a good point! It doesn't really matter at this point but I am sure the nurse or the doctor will pick up on it when I see them next week. hugs, Sandy

juanita
09-30-2006, 09:54 AM
My family doc said the instant menopause will make it harder to lose the weight I gained. I also take steroids for asthma and that doesn't help me either. But at least the wight is staying the same and not going up.

panicked911
10-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Wow is there really hope for the 13 pounds i have put on sincr starting treatment last November ( herceptain around thanksgiving, arimidex in december and lupron in early december)
My last herceptin is Nov. 1 , a day before my 45th birthday - and no matter how hard i exercise - I do somethig cardio every day - or atch what eat i go down one pound up two .

Like others who re approaching thr end of herceptai , I am excitied about ot havibg to sit ib tht chemo room for 4 hours every third weds. but also kind f scared about the prosepcts for reoccurance.
I was odering Sandy, and from those others who have finished herceptain - if you experienced memory issues and muscle aches ( my joints are so stiff and achy) did any of the symptoms abate? How log did it take. I am hoping that by Jan 1 ( onc said give it three months) I will be feeling a whole lot better.
Any imput would be greatly appreciated

Susanne