PDA

View Full Version : Ductal Carcinoma in Situ ER- PR- HER2+++ Recurrence

skibunny
09-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has/had Microinvasive DCIS ER- PR- HER2+++ and what their treatment was for it.

My history:

Biopsy 12/30/03 DCIS left breast, non invasive
Lumpectomy 1/16/04
Re excision for clear margins 2/3/04
Slides sent to U of P and they said DCIS with microinvasion
Sentinal Node Biopsy 2/24/04 node negative
Radiation 3/04-5/04
Recurrence in same breast, same location , same hormone receptor status 7/06

First Cancer - I was told that since my cancer was non invasive I do not receive chemotherapy, and since I am ER- and PR- Tamoxifin and Arimidex will not be effective.

Recurrence - I was told to have a mastectomy. I am not being given chemotherapy or Tamoxifin or Arimidex for the same reasons as they gave me for my first cancer. I was told Herceptin only works while you are taking it and when you stop you have no protection. I am not being given Herceptin.

I have been reading how HER2+ cancer recurs even with a mastectomy.
I am participatiing in a HER2+ vaccine trial as this is the only way I have something that may reduce the HER2 overexpression and protect me from another recurrence.

Is there someone who has the same characteristics as I have that is being treated differently?

This web site has been a most valuable learning experience. Thank you for your knowledge.

Sincerely,

Skibunny

karenann
09-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Skibunny,

How big was your microinvsion? Was the recurrence DCIS only or with a microinvasion and if so, how big was it this time?

Karen

tousled1
09-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Skibunny,

I don't understand how you qualified for an HER2 vaccine trial if your doctor said you did't need Herceptin. Or, is one of the qualifications for the trial that you have not received Herceptin?

skibunny
09-27-2006, 10:07 AM
My microinvasion the first time was "microinvasive ductal carcinoma, two foci, each less than 1 mm, arising in the background of extensive DCIS"

The second time the report says, " The radial scar containing DCIS is approximately 0.5 cm; the tisuue findings correlate with those on the accompanying specimen radiograph. Due to the complexity of this radial sclerosing lesion, focal microinvasion cannot be entirely excluded; numerous serial sections have been examined. Immunohistochemical staining for calponin, with appropriate controls shows positive staining around DCIS outside of the radial scar.

(The DCIS was found on 4 of 8 slides)

To qualify for the HER2 study, one needs to have DCIS and be ER- PR- and HER2+.

Thank you for any insight you may have.

Skibunny