PDA

View Full Version : Buon giorno - we're back

IRENE FROM TAMPA
09-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi all - we just got back from our trip this Saturday at midnite. It was a long trip back with a long lay over in Newark before coming home. It was nice to be back.

We had a marvelous time in Italy. Our first leg of the trip was spent in the Tuscan town of Cortona. This was my favorite time.My objective was to become one with the Italians and that is exactly the experience we had there. Our landlords were such warm, loving people who made our stay extra special. They even cooked the tenants a wonderful Italian meal on the Wednesday before we left. They set up tables in their garden and we all ate and drank wine under the beautiful Tuscan sky. They spoke of their traditions and we of ours and we all learned some of each others language. Since I speak Spanish, I was able to understand some of what they said pretty well. Everyday (as we hiked up the 1 kilometer STEEP walk up to the town) we got to know more and more of the towns people where eventually we were on first name basis. We made a wonderful friendship with our upstairs neighbors who are from New Zealand. Cortona will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Positano (down south) was very beautiful but I found much more touristy then I wanted. Again, we hand to hike up and down 200 steps to get to our apartment every day. Kept us in shape I must say. On our last week there I developed a fever which came an went for the whole week. I still had when we arrived back into Tampa. So I have spent the last two days running blood test and had my scans done. Will meet with my onc on Thursday for results to see how everything is going after two cycles.

Sandy H - I am glad to see you finally started on the trial.

I just started my third cycle on Monday and we had to reduce the dosage to 2650 mg per day. When we left on 8/25 I had already began having stomach issues and mouth sores. I never had either of these when I took Xeloda before. So we left with a pack full of meds. I did not feel the greatest the day we left but things started resolving a bit after a week off of the Xeloda. I had to reduce the second cycle dosage myself to 2800 since my stomach was not doing well and traveling with this issue was not fun. My doctor decided on my return to reduce even further since he does not want me to get to a point that I will have to stop taking. My blood counts have looked good so far. Just don't know why I have these fevers. They started me on an antibiotic yesterday and a water pill since my ankles became swollen and very red (we think probably from all of the walking (which must have been at least a thousand miles up and down steep hills for the whole month) at least that is what it felt like.

So my sympthoms so far have been very frequent loose bowels,
mouth sores with the first cycle - did not have any during the second cycle.
my fingers having started to crack and are very sore to the touch.
We are thinking that maybe the Tykerb may be causing some of the stomach issues with the combo of the two.

On our return, my nurse told me that she really worried about me while I was gone. She said that she handed over the "new meds" to me and I said ok see you in a month - lol. She thought that I came back in pretty good shape considering.

We had a marvelous time and mentally my mind feels clear and rested now.
This is what life is all about. I am already making plans for a future trip (God willing)

A funny story while in Rome on our last day -

We made it to see St. Peter's Basilica (which is more beautiful then words can describe). While walking around my eyes met with a Father and a nun which were walking around also. As our eyes met he smiled at me and I also in return. We kept crossing paths. The next day at the airport leaving from Rome and going throught the lines, once again, there he was and again our eyes met and he smiled. By this time I was thinking -hmmmm

When we arrived into Newark to await our transfer to Tampa, there they were again walking around. Once we went airside I noticed that they sat down at our gate coming to Tampa. I though, how interesting, they are from Tampa also.

Needless to say, when we boarded our plane, guess who is sitting next to me, THE SAME PRIEST. By this time I was getting little feelings of Is this a sign - but of what.

He introduced himself as Father Robert and we had a nice conversation all the way home. I told him about my cancer and he told me that his mother was a colon cancer survivor. He left me with a very warm (as he had kind twinkling eyes and very kind voice) thought.

He told me that these things can not be understood so I should not even try to figure out but to always remember.....

THAT AT THE END OF THE DAY, EVERYTHING WOULD BE OK.

At the end of our flight he asked if he could do a special healing prayer for me which he did. After this I felt safe and at peace.

This I feel is the sign I have been asking for...

Cioa for now.

karenann
09-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Irene,

I do believe in signs.

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip... you deserve it!. I love Italy and can't wait to visit again.

Hugs,

Karen

janet/FL
09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Welcome back, Irene

We have all been looking forward to your return. So happy you enjoyed your trip and was able to stay in such good shape with the miles of stairs you had to climb!
How wonderful to meet a special person on your return trip.
Blessings and Hugs,
Janet

Barbara H.
09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi Irene,
I'm so glad that your trip worked out for you and that you had such a wonderful time. I have been thinking of you the whole month. Your story about the priest is really something. I can understand that you were quite touched by the incident and that it has given you some peace. I hope that your scans turn out well. Your description of your trip makes me want to take a trip to Italy.
Thanks for sharing!!
Barbara H.

tousled1
09-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Irene,

Glad to hear that you had such a great time on your trip! We all need a break every now and then. Seems like the combo is working well for you. I too believe in signs -- when I was diagnosed with my bc somehow I came across a rosary that I had never seen before. Turns out it belonged to my dad's sister who had ovarian cancer. I take it as a sign that she is looking out after me.

chrislmelb
09-26-2006, 07:12 PM
And i too felt very touched when i had the Pope say a special prayer for me. I believe in good karma. I helped some people who had an accident which i witnessed. i was on the other side of the highway and went back to give the truck's details. It also turned out i was the only one who stopped to help. they weren't really injured but very shaken and i stayed with them for the police, ambulance etc. i did all of this with a scarf on my head so they realised i had things happening in my life. Anyway, the man has a brother who is a priest at the Vatican. when his sister went to visit she had an audience with the Pope and the one prayer she was allowed, was for me! i felt very touched.
All the best
Christine

Sandy H
09-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Irene, yes, I did start the drug August 30th. By the 9th day I had diarrhea so bad, my potassium dropped, my heart was fluttering, and I was weak. The Xeloda was put on hold for two weeks and then I started back on 2000 mgs down from 3000. Through this all the Tykerb has continued to work as my skin mets are all gone!! I am sure they are still there but no visual signs or itching and burning. Its amazing just how fast it worked for me. I am having some mouth sores but that is all at the moment. No stomach issues, feet or hands. I did notice tonight I do have a crack by my thumb. I am schedule for my 6 weeks scans next week. My oncologist tried to get them waivered to every 12 because I only have skin mets but they would not do it because they want to make sure the mets will not go else where. I am glad you had a nice trip and I wondered about you because of what happened to me. I am hoping I don't have lots of problems with my hands and feet being on the lower dose. Wishing you well, e-mail me if you have questions. hugs, Sandy

chrisy
09-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Irene,
I'm so glad to hear you're home safe and sound and had such a wonderful vacation! I can almost imagine being there myself. You must be very well toned after all that walking! I'm also glad that you were able to manage the side effects on the fly as you did. You are one very determined lady - first to get the goods, then to just get on that plane and GO!

I also believe in signs...and that we so often miss them in all our "busyness". I'm sure I would need one to SIT DOWN next to me on a plane to recognize it! But what a wonderful message - your story brought tears to my eyes.

So glad to have you back - good luck on your upcoming scans, I hope you get fabulous results to welcome you home.

Hugs
Chris

Shell
09-27-2006, 04:37 AM
Irene-

Ciao ragazza!

Welcome home, and I am so pleased the trip was everything you hoped for. The kindness of Italians is heartwarming - I remember if I asked someone for directions, invariably they wouldnt just tell me, they'd hook arms with me and walk and show me!!

Contintued success with the meds,
Shell

RhondaH
09-27-2006, 09:36 AM
What a WONDERFUL trip and I DO hope you start to feel better. It sounds like that priest was sent to you as reassurance that things will be ok and I TOO find that annointing of the sick brings a sense of peace and calm. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Becky
09-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Welcome back Irene

I'm thrilled that the trip and the treatment both worked out. I missed you while you were gone and thought about you (and hoped everything was working out well - especially with the new treatment - and it did).

Kindest regards

Becky

Jean
09-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Irene,

Welcome home, your trip sounds just perfect - glad to hear that your doing
well. I also believe in signs - but of course we have to pay attention to them.
So happy for you - I wish only the best with the scans.

Jean

MCS
09-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Bienvenuta Irene. I visited italy this summer and I agree San Pietro is magnificent.

You sound like you are going thru rough times but handling well and I think the visit did you well by putting a snap back in you.

Good to hear form you

MCS ( maria)